Animal Husbandry

I’m curious about the limits of breeding tames for stats etc. I personally think it would be great to see AOC scratch a shiny hunters itch by allowing for not only stat differences but appearance differences. Unique patterns of tames, one example being the autumn leaf dragon, it would be amazing if by breeding you had an exceptionally rare chance to get one that’s gotten a unique pattern. Whether that be a different color leaf, one that matches more of a sakura leaf, 🍁 🍃 or even mutation that result in malenistic appearances etc.

I don’t know if this has been talked about or not already feel free to point me in that direction if so.

Comments

• HalaeHalae Member
    My understanding is that it'll have genetic weighting and the like, so you'll occasionally get mutants and body oddities popping up in both the wild and in captivity. I also understand that higher levels of Animal Husbandry will allow you to breed things that would normally be incompatible. With that in mind, I suspect that pokemon-style stat and appearance breeding will be totally viable, and even cross-breeding for desirable traits. We know for certain that, at the very least, different breeds of the same animals will be available, as shown in the gryphon concept art we've seen. That's closer to Pokemon's formes than shinies, but it's still a big deal.

Given all that, I'm really looking forward to the lucrative business tamers are going to have on this. Taming is going to be a sub-category of Hunting, so any good breeder and trainer is going to need contacts among the local hunters to help them get the animals they need. I'm really looking forward to that; I'm no crafter myself, but finding weird animals out in the wild holds strong appeal to me.
  • Halae wrote: »
    My understanding is that it'll have genetic weighting and the like, so you'll occasionally get mutants and body oddities popping up in both the wild and in captivity. I also understand that higher levels of Animal Husbandry will allow you to breed things that would normally be incompatible. With that in mind, I suspect that pokemon-style stat and appearance breeding will be totally viable, and even cross-breeding for desirable traits. We know for certain that, at the very least, different breeds of the same animals will be available, as shown in the gryphon concept art we've seen. That's closer to Pokemon's formes than shinies, but it's still a big deal.

Given all that, I'm really looking forward to the lucrative business tamers are going to have on this. Taming is going to be a sub-category of Hunting, so any good breeder and trainer is going to need contacts among the local hunters to help them get the animals they need. I'm really looking forward to that; I'm no crafter myself, but finding weird animals out in the wild holds strong appeal to me.

That hits it right on the nail 🙏

• KilionKilion Member
    I think in one of the streams Margaret and Steven adressed a question & point of contention about someone who had missed a skin package the commentor would have really wanted. The commentor asked whether these skins would become available again or whether there was another way for him to get the skin ingame.

Stevens answer was: No the package was gone forever, but with animal husbandry it would be possible to get very close to the skins that were available in the past. I think he even mentioned that the special mane of something like the Cloudburst Pegasus (their mane is literally clouds) was something that could be accessible through animal husbandry.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<