Devs a piece of advice I strongly recommend!

Please watch a variety of isekai genre anime for inspiration to create the best content! Consider series like *Sword Art Online*, *Log Horizon*, *That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime*, *Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill*, and *Solo Leveling*.

We mmo players need this type of content!

Comments

• Not everyone is a weeb
  • NikbisNikbis Member
    edited August 25
    You'd need to be be... a little more specific.
    What made you think these animes where worth considering?

I watched all of them. I liked some. I may want part of whatever they depicted into a game.
    Still, an idea is worth nothing if you don't attach it to a meaningful system. A system based on solid fundations.

You can't just say "Look at this guy! He's all powerful and have fun! How cool is that?".
    It doesn't mean anything, in term of game design.

These animes rely on bullshit.

Be.
    Specific.
    What did you liked? How could it fit in the current system? What would you change so current system accept such idea?
    If I had to keep only one song, it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s
  • LodrigLodrig Member
    edited August 27
    Jesus No, litterally every video game inspired Iseki has ludicous power curves and a total lack of balanceand leveling exploits, that's litterally the point so the ProTag can be stupidly OP. Not to mention the horrible nested menu UI's they are constantly poping up and absurd flashy spell pyrotechnics (which has actually been a problem with most of the games graphics). Their is nothing that video game designers should be looking to LESS then videogame worlds depictions in other Media.

Also you failed to mention the only actually good Iseki, Konosuba.
  • The only good one for a game like Ashes is Log Horizon, because it shows that even if you're a super powerful group of people, you still need to work together with others through politics and coordination. It also shows a world that's much closer to what Ashes is going for, with shops, real estate purchases, party gameplay, etc.

It's also not a soloable game as opposed to SAO, Slime or SL.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tenshiiro wrote: »
    Please watch a variety of isekai genre anime for inspiration to create the best content! Consider series like *Sword Art Online*, *Log Horizon*, *That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime*, *Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill*, and *Solo Leveling*.

No we dont.
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited August 25
    "Devs, hear me out, I have advice for you!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe-UuolGK0bSjoy5Es35TeiBZR871FrtLsBQ&s
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • CawwCaww Member
    Devs... get inspiration from anywhere and everywhere - but please do not draw from anime artistry for anything...
  • DodozDodoz Member
    Or hear me out... I know this might sound absolutely bonkers but... Let them come up with their own lore and stories? What made you think all MMO players are anime fanatics, btw? Also, aren't there a plethora of Asian MMOs that would fit your style a lot more?
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    There are many anime with good writting, art and music. Watched plenty.

Those mmo/this character is the tank, this is the healer, this is the necromancer types of anime show you that they were written by some 20yo gamer that couldnt tell a decent story if it meant saving their life.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dodoz wrote: »
    Or hear me out... I know this might sound absolutely bonkers but... Let them come up with their own lore and stories? What made you think all MMO players are anime fanatics, btw? Also, aren't there a plethora of Asian MMOs that would fit your style a lot more?

i can see both sides, on one side, i think the lore of vera is amazing, and i would love to see it extended Apon and if carried out properly it could go extremely deep with lots of room for expansions.

on the other hand from what i have seen in showcases/wiki etc, i think we are going to far into the '' sandbox'' where the players will need to create the game them self, this can be extremley fun but i think there needs to be a balanced mix and i think he has a point there could be some good content ideas gained from watching these

i would personally love to see solo class challenges in the game
  • GithalGithal Member
    The only good one for a game like Ashes is Log Horizon, because it shows that even if you're a super powerful group of people, you still need to work together with others through politics and coordination. It also shows a world that's much closer to what Ashes is going for, with shops, real estate purchases, party gameplay, etc.

It's also not a soloable game as opposed to SAO, Slime or SL.

I would say Shangri-La Frontier seems like the anime with closest connections to AOC.
    In it you would see people forming communities that at first are at war with each other. You have the Player killer group that seems well organized at first, And the "Knights" that are something like the Bounty hunters.
    Later there are betrayals in some of the groups resulting in disbanding. There is also the "Corruption" system where the PK-ers lose their items if killed. And there are those ultra hard bosses that require groups that hate each other to work together, else would be impossible to clear.
  • GithalGithal Member
    edited August 26
    Also idk why you taking the MC perspective when talking about those anime. If you exclude the MC which is obviously some irregular in the world. The rest seems a lot closer to AOC right? Even in SAO you see guilds working together for common goals, and no one except the MC is able to do much SOLO. Same in Solo Leveling.

Well the slime feels too different from AOC to make comparison. Tho if you take it in the way that: some guild leader (the Slime) developing a Node. And then having different relation to the rest of the Nodes. Then its not that far apart from AOC.
  • KilionKilion Member
    No thanks, if I wanted that I'd pick up an asian MMORPG, which I specifically DON'T want to play, hence me waiting for this thing to finish.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • some ideas from Isekai could be fun. some of the boss mechanics would pose for a good time for example
  • Tenshiiro wrote: »

You would need to be a bit more specific and explaining what exactly for "Contents" from for Example Sword are Online or " I re-incarnated as a Slime " or the other, partially very edgy Stories you mean. :mrgreen:

Since i kinda watched a few of them mostly - > i know not a single One of them seems to have "WORLDBUILDING" as in anywhere near as gigantic and current as the World of Verra will have. ;)

Since " Slime Isekai " is for Example a Story that revolves about the Main Character being re-incarnated as a Monster : and befriending quite a HUUUGE LOT of Monsters and even making a Village with them and so on,

-> i think the "Monster Coin!"-System will be greatly popular with You. Become one of many Goblins, Undead, or whatever else for Monsters are there in the World of Verra -> and raid a Node in a gigantic Monster Coin Siege -> leaving Chaos and Destruction behind. ;)

What could be possibly going well enough with the World of Verra from the Universe of "Solo-Levelling" ? Because the Edginess of that Story is through the Roof at times. :mrgreen:

If i tell You -> much of the Artisan/Craftsman-System, along with Animal-husbandry and so on -> reminds me of some Sides of "Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon" - would you believe me ?

This was actually my first Time ever having heard about " Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill " - but that Title "soouunds" a lot like Dungeon Meshi. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • I forgot to mention here,
    regarding Sword Art Online ... ...

Since PvP and hence, Playerkillings will be possible anywhere in the Open World of Verra - > Chances are that People can actually and truly make a few Killer-Guilds that might resemble "Laughing Coffin" from Sword Art Online.

Beware of Bountyhunters, though. :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • Githal wrote: »
    I would say Shangri-La Frontier seems like the anime with closest connections to AOC.
    Haven't seen it, so mayhaps. I was mostly talking about what was listed in the OP. Though i haven't seen the cooking one, so maybe that's a good one as well.
  • By asking this you show how out of touch you are with the core inspiration of the game. Just dont please.
  • Anime? Never heard of her.
  • P0GG0P0GG0 Member
    lol
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only good one for a game like Ashes is Log Horizon, because it shows that even if you're a super powerful group of people, you still need to work together with others through politics and coordination. It also shows a world that's much closer to what Ashes is going for, with shops, real estate purchases, party gameplay, etc.
    Yeah. Log Horizon is the way I wish groups would mesh in MMORPGs.
    I think that's more on the players than the devs, though.
  • Despite the silly clichés and power fantasies in the isekai anime, there's something about the concept that resonates with me—perhaps due to my love of living in a fantasy world.

For those unfamiliar, "isekai" means "Different World" and typically involves a character being transported to a fantasy world, often with a mission to save it and new powers to help, often with a video game twist.

This isn't about drawing inspiration from the perspective of an overpowered main character.

My intention is to bring to the attention of game developers the captivating world of fantasy found in isekai anime, the feeling of immersion in the game, also some interesting mechanics of crafting and farming.

Some isekai anime offer fascinating ideas on game mechanics, particularly in crafting, building, farming, and skill acquisition. These shows explore worlds where characters don’t just engage in battles but also develop through intricate systems of resource management and skill development. The crafting mechanics in these anime allow for the creation of unique items and tools, while building systems enable players to construct their own homes, guild halls, or even entire communities.

Farming mechanics provide a sense of growth and progression, encouraging characters to cultivate resources and manage them strategically. Skill acquisition is often portrayed as an in-depth process, where characters learn and master abilities in a way that feels rewarding and immersive. By incorporating these mechanics, isekai anime show that there’s more to a fantasy world than just combat, highlighting the potential for deeper, more engaging gameplay experiences.
  • so you want a game within the game? XD a meta game!
  • patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited September 3
    Lodrig wrote: »
    Jesus No, litterally every video game inspired Iseki has ludicous power curves and a total lack of balanceand leveling exploits, that's litterally the point so the ProTag can be stupidly OP. Not to mention the horrible nested menu UI's they are constantly poping up and absurd flashy spell pyrotechnics (which has actually been a problem with most of the games graphics). Their is nothing that video game designers should be looking to LESS then videogame worlds depictions in other Media.

Also you failed to mention the only actually good Iseki, Konosuba.

Grimgar really doesn't have any of these things. The light novels get a little weird though. In general though I agree, books and shows inspired by video game worlds and mechanics aren't going to generally be good places to look for content or mechanics in actual online games (they might work slightly better for single player games simulating an MMO like .Hack though)