Functional Roleplaying - Rogue & Ranger, what comes to mind?

I'm in the process of conceptualizing a guild that's mainly for Rogues and Rangers with a theme of espionage and intel-gathering through operations of spying, scouting, infiltration, assassination and bounty-hunting.

My question to the Ashes community is the following: What comes to your mind when you think about roleplaying a rogue or a ranger archetype? What kind of activities and functionalities do you feel would satisfy that roleplaying fantasy? And what kind of guild do you imagine yourself being in to live that fantasy?

An example of what I have in mind: A guild that doesn't exist in the game, but rather only as a Discord guild that players can join while keeping their in-game identity (character name) hidden from most other guild members. Each member would specialize in a specific activity type, such as collecting intel through spying and infiltration or carrying out assassinations against target high-profile players (like streamers, governors, guild leaders). Members would receive mission requests by their officers based on that member's designated assignment (if they're assigned to spy on a specific node or guild) and in return they would provide an intel report to their officer who will report back to the HQ (only HQ would be aware of agendas and reasons behind each mission or actions taken against specific guilds or nodes or players). In other words, to the average member of the guild the experience will be that they will sometimes receive requests from the guild, the rest of the time they're just playing the game normally with whichever guild they're part of or the guild they're infiltrating.

The guild could have an in-game "Embassy" guild that handled PR and establishes relationships and political ties with other guilds, while the main goal of the guild would be to maintain balance and punish corruption - whether it is corruption in governance or the corruption that comes along with griefing other players.

Would love to hear the community's opinion, especially fellow Ranger and Rogue roleplayers who want to live the fantasy of being spies and rogues in a large world of political intrigue.

Comments

• I think the social system should allow for player created associations and secret societies. And for such organizations to share player created missions, goals/objective and notes in their character journal in game. While you could do this outside of the game, it would be nice for the players to have tools in game.

That would mean on the surface you belong to a node or guild, but can have other associations not know.

Question though: Should these associations be discoverable by other players and what would be the mechanisms for that? Thinking in terms of counterespionage and double agents and such. Or do you just handle it via the same mechanism as the method used for the association? It just is a matter of what information is shared and who you trust.
  • I doubt the game will have such systems in place at launch to support the kind of activities that I'm envisioning, but if they somehow manage to add them at some point I would absolutely love it! (I'm talking about the social systems that you mentioned and the ability to be in a hidden guild and issuing missions and such).

As for additional systems that dictate the boundaries and abilities of espionage using in-game systems, I think there are plenty of ideas from 4X games regarding espionage that Ashes could get inspiration from on a node-to-node level of spying, assassinations...etc. But I think the main driver behind the activities of espionage should be the players, and player action should be required and encouraged over such systems.

An example could be the ability to send an NPC spy to infiltrate an enemy node and an NPC would actually spawn and walk to the target node, try to stealth their way into the governor's office at night and steal documents then run back to your node to gain information about that node, and if the enemy detects the spy they can kill it before it completes the mission. The ranger class could have an ability to detect spies, while the mayor could hire NPC detectors that would patrol the city and detect spies and send a warning to the governing guild.

A better implementation, however, would be to allow players who are spies to infiltrate the enemy node and steal the documents themselves without getting caught, which would make it a game of rogues vs rangers as spies and detectors and players of these roles would be required for these activities.

Both implementations would be good imo, but the second one gives a lot more player agency and involvement and would rely on player skill instead of an NPC.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    I think effective intelligence networks don't advertise their existence.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    I think effective intelligence networks don't advertise their existence.

It's good for people to know that Big Brother is watching them.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 25
    LemonTwiss wrote: »
    It's good for people to know that Big Brother is watching them.

I think that's one way to read 1984. :D

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Based on my experience roleplaying similar characters, I’ve found that some of the most memorable and effective rogue or assassin characters are those who build a reputation through multifaceted activities that go beyond their primary covert roles. This approach not only adds depth to the character but also provides them with a credible cover in the game world, allowing them to operate more effectively under the radar.

Here's some examples I've either used, or have seen used in assassin guilds I've been a part of.

Herbalist and Alchemist:

A rogue or assassin could gain renown as a skilled herbalist or alchemist, crafting potions, poisons, and antidotes. By running a legitimate business, such as selling potions or scented candles made from rare herbs, the character could gather intelligence on local suppliers, learn about rare ingredients that might be useful in poisons, and even discreetly distribute their own concoctions to unsuspecting targets.

Trader of Rare Goods:

Establishing a front as a merchant of rare and exotic goods can serve multiple purposes. Not only does it provide a cover story for travel and interactions with various factions, but it also opens doors for information gathering. By trading in items like rare jewels, artifacts, or magical items, the character can network with influential figures, uncover hidden motivations, and perhaps even smuggle sensitive information or contraband.

Scribe or Chronicler:

A rogue posing as a scribe or chronicler could become known for their detailed maps, historical records, or documentation of significant events. This role allows the character to infiltrate academic circles, gain access to restricted knowledge, and subtly influence public perception through the written word. Additionally, they could use their skills to forge documents, create false leads, or manipulate information to serve the guild’s interests.

Artisan or Craftsman:

Operating as an artisan, such as a maker of custom weapons, armor, or even luxurious goods like scented candles (which could be laced with subtle toxins or contain hidden compartments), provides both a cover and a method of accessing high-profile targets. This role allows the character to gain the trust of their clientele, who may include powerful figures, while also placing themselves in positions where they can gather valuable intelligence or strike when the opportunity arises.

Diplomat or Negotiator:

In a world of political intrigue, a rogue could establish themselves as a skilled negotiator or diplomat, mediating disputes between guilds or negotiating trade deals. This role grants them access to high-level discussions and sensitive information, which can be reported back to the guild. It also allows the character to subtly manipulate the outcomes of these negotiations to benefit their true agenda.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• @ariatras That is one of the ways the guild could gather intel. In my mind, that is what a spy's role is: to just play the game and do their own thing to become fully fledged members of their local communities (nodes or guilds) and serving a function in that community. Their membership in the spy guild merely means that they may receive missions from their officers to provide specific intel about specific activities in the community they're already a part of.

But I do imagine other roles that go beyond that. Infiltrators, for example, would target specific roles or height in the chain of command of a specific guild or node - their job would be to stand-out and rise through the ranks to gain access to more sensitive intel. So the requirements for their missions would be much harder to achieve.

There are also other mission types that I have in mind like scouting/stalking and assassinations, which would both require very different and specific actions by individual members of the guild.

A scout may be required to keep an eyes out on remote contested areas like world boss spawns, resource hubs, or PvP POIs, or they may be asked to stalk a specific player or a trading caravan...etc. So they don't really have to stand out or excel at any profession, they just need to know the lay of the land and be able to travel quickly without letting their target know that they're being watched. Their intel would be a more on-demand kind of thing when such intel is needed to influence guild/node wars and rivalries.

An assassin, on the other hand, would need to be built in a way that maximizes their ability to kill a single target in the least amount of time. Their missions could involve taking out well-protected high-profile targets, like guild leaders on their way to a raid or a toxic streamer that's using a zerg to grief players in an area. Assassinations are made to send a message, and could even be accompanied by a mail letter stating the reason for assassination or the demand that the party issuing the assassination request wants to make.

Lastly, I imagine an "Embassy guild" would be needed for a spying guild to maximize their influence on the world. An embassy guild would handle PR and diplomacy, but it wouldn't include the guild members that actually carry out the covert missions.
  • LemonTwiss wrote: »
    I'm in the process of conceptualizing a guild that's mainly for Rogues and Rangers with a theme of espionage and intel-gathering through operations of spying, scouting, infiltration, assassination and bounty-hunting.

Will they ... ... ... " keep " - many Secrets ? ;) . :sunglasses:

My question to the Ashes community is the following: What comes to your mind when you think about roleplaying a rogue or a ranger archetype? What kind of activities and functionalities do you feel would satisfy that roleplaying fantasy? And what kind of guild do you imagine yourself being in to live that fantasy?

If i think of an Roleplay Guild which employee's both these Archetypes,

plus of Course a RogueXRanger-Mix Archetype
    and a "RangerXRogue"-Mix Archetype,

i must think a tiny little bit " ~ The Keepers ~ " from the Darkproject/Thief Universe. ;) . :mrgreen:

But these lovely Folks are also kinda (mainly?) Scholars with a bit of a magical Affinity. So i could imagine the Roleplay-Guild You have in mind is a bit different than those secretive Gentlemen.

An example of what I have in mind: A guild that doesn't exist in the game, but rather only as a Discord guild that players can join while keeping their in-game identity (character name) hidden from most other guild members. Each member would specialize in a specific activity type, such as collecting intel through spying and infiltration or carrying out assassinations against target high-profile players (like streamers, governors, guild leaders).

While this sure 'sounds' incredibly difficult to pull off,

because no One in the Guild knows the other Guildmembers in the Game at least mostly and for all the time,
    assassinating "Streamers" could make your Guild a legendary, scary kind of Guild - if you can truly pull that off. Kinda a bit like " ~ Laughing Coffin ~ " from Sword Art Online -> but this time not a mostly cringey Joke of an Edgelord-Guild. ;)

But between this Example or having a Guild consisting only out of the Archetypes Rogue and/or Ranger, maybe such an Assassination-kind of Guild would be better and far more mysterious and scary if it would employ People of every single Archytep and Combinations of Archetypes. ;)

Members would receive mission requests by their officers based on that member's designated assignment (if they're assigned to spy on a specific node or guild) and in return they would provide an intel report to their officer who will report back to the HQ (only HQ would be aware of agendas and reasons behind each mission or actions taken against specific guilds or nodes or players). In other words, to the average member of the guild the experience will be that they will sometimes receive requests from the guild, the rest of the time they're just playing the game normally with whichever guild they're part of or the guild they're infiltrating.

The guild could have an in-game "Embassy" guild that handled PR and establishes relationships and political ties with other guilds, while the main goal of the guild would be to maintain balance and punish corruption - whether it is corruption in governance or the corruption that comes along with griefing other players.

Would love to hear the community's opinion, especially fellow Ranger and Rogue roleplayers who want to live the fantasy of being spies and rogues in a large world of political intrigue.

This Guild would need such an formidable and capable Upper Echelon of higher Ranked Officers/Superiors to function properly,
    to make this happen in the first Place is probably already the most difficult Step of all.

but again : such a Guild consisting out of only Rogues or Rangers would greatly limit it's Scariness and Power. At least if People would realise the only Members are always Rangers or Rogues. ;)

I must think a little bit of this huge Crime Organisation from the John Wick Universe. :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I’ve been reflecting on the many roleplaying guilds and creative concepts emerging as Ashes of Creation takes shape. The success of fostering a vibrant roleplaying (RP) community, however, will likely depend on two crucial factors: the availability of rich, immersive lore and the provision of robust roleplaying tools.

1. The Importance of Lore: Given that Ashes of Creation is the first game in its universe, the depth and accessibility of its lore will be essential. Lore provides the foundational context that players need to create meaningful stories and characters. It acts as the world’s history, culture, and narrative backbone, enabling roleplayers to weave their stories into the larger fabric of the game. Without well-developed lore, roleplaying can feel shallow and disconnected from the world.

2. The Need for Roleplaying Tools: In addition to lore, the availability of dedicated roleplaying tools is crucial. These tools can include detailed character customization options, in-game communication systems, and ways to organize and manage guilds. A particularly valuable tool would be custom character sheets, where players can write detailed descriptions of their characters, much like the TotalRoleplay 3 addon in World of Warcraft. This feature would allow players to define their character’s background, personality, traits, and even relationships in great detail, adding depth and richness to the roleplaying experience. Such features allow players to fully express their characters and engage deeply with others in the community. Effective roleplaying tools help bring the world of Ashes of Creation to life, making it easier for players to immerse themselves and sustain long-term roleplaying activities.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif