Cleric and bard - please do not turn support classes into heal/buff bots.

edited August 30 in General Discussion
I remember seeing some offensive cleric abilities in Alpha One(?), so I'm likely unnecessarily concerned here, but I rather say something than stay silent.

The wiki references Steven saying in 2023: "There's going to be a significant amount of offensive capability for the Cleric because we don't want to create that dynamic where cleric as a support class is inoperable without a companion or a party to go with. We want that Cleric to still be able to survive on their own: to be able to level and progress as a solo player"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cleric_skills

I hope this is still the plan for both cleric AND the bard, also to allow for more variety in the extended classes playstyles...

Comments

• GithalGithal Member
    edited August 30
    the augment system should help with this. or at least i hope it will
    It may change some heal skills to dmg for example
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    They are already designed to keep the Bard and Cleric in the battle. Steven has said combat skills will add to their healing and buffing.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    P. S. You want to make a Bard or a Cleric and use heavy armor with melee weapons and fight front line in the thick of combat. You can do that. Want to wear light armor anr play ranged DPS while buffing and healing. That's an option.
  • Cleric and bard - please do not turn support classes into heal/buff bots.

Cleric and Bard will have the Secondary Archetype/Subclass Option, won't they ?

They can choose for themselves, if they want to be genuinely fleshed out Clerics and Bards -> or if they want a bit of tanky Subclass inside of themselves -> or stabby-stabby Damage-Dealer-Class,

or a bit of possible Range/Distance-Abilities with Mage or Ranger ... ...

Right now due to the overall Class/Archetype-System - i can't see how any Class would be stuck with a firm detriment towards all others. :smile:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • nanfoodle wrote: »
    P. S. You want to make a Bard or a Cleric and use heavy armor with melee weapons and fight front line in the thick of combat. You can do that. Want to wear light armor anr play ranged DPS while buffing and healing. That's an option.

And feel like an idiot using ranged abilities like there melee abilities and having no actual melee attacks besides melee attacks.
  • SengardenSengarden Member
    edited August 31
    When the official feedback thread for bard came around, I made sure to mention my interest in all the various class-fantasies they could fulfill once the Bard gets its augments, in regards to them having potential as damage dealers. We'll just have to see how the class combos work out when they're ready to test.

I only hope that the augment system isn't just a new coat of paint on the same archetype. Sub-classes in most MMOs feel fun to play around with because they're true focuses on different schools of the same overall class concept. If an augment just slightly alters a couple of your abilities and gives you some different VFX aesthetics or something, that would be disappointing. If this is their only method of specializing, then it should be fully fleshed out and every augment combo should feel noticeably different in combat approach / "rotation" in combat / VFX aesthetic, etc. The sheer quantity of classes they're committed to with the currently proposed system does worry me when considering this.
  • nanfoodle wrote: »
    This is what I hope for, that there is going to be freedom to customise classes and flexibility in your primary and secondary archetype toolkit to actually create different playstyles. I love creating different builds and gameplay variety for me is a massive factor in the game's longevity in my Steam library.
  • OrymOrym Member
    edited August 31
    A two handed mace swinging warrior priest looking healing class would be dope.
    As well as a medium to long range heal bot.
    I like both and hope they can be created.
  • Orym wrote: »
    Yeah, especially if you could mix it up a bit, and for example gain Divine Power from melee attacks instead of just casting spells.
  • rolloxrollox Member
    Orym wrote: »
    Yeah, especially if you could mix it up a bit, and for example gain Divine Power from melee attacks instead of just casting spells.

It would be nice to see augment for bless weapon to grow into also applying mana drains, weapon of condemnation, smite, restraint, life stealing, etc.

It is a little concern I have without having played yet. That Cleric has only basic weapon attack with one bless weapon skill.