Cc and cc breaks a must!

edited October 3 in General Discussion
I feel like CC is a must it adds such a good dynamic to video games. However I feel like CC should not be only for certain classes but for all classes, as well as cc breaks. If I can be cced I want the ability to use at least one get out of jail card.

This was an accidental creation of an already existing thread. Not seeing a way to delete or I would. Well this is awkward, but Hi! :)

Comments

• There is literally a thread dedicated to the discussion about CC, why make a separate thread about "what you feel"?
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • komiekomie Member
    tt
    m3uebrx5l81d.png
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I feel like CC is a must it adds such a good dynamic to video games. However I feel like CC should not be only for certain classes but for all classes, as well as cc breaks. If I can be cced I want the ability to use at least one get out of jail card.

Advocating that "all classes should possess X" is a precarious path, one that inevitably leads to class homogenization, eroding the diversity and nuance that enriches gameplay. Crowd control (CC), while capable of introducing tactical complexity in isolated duels or PvE encounters, must be employed judiciously. Games do not operate in a vacuum, and the overabundance of CC can severely diminish player agency, draining the enjoyment from the experience. One need only examine the pitfalls faced by comparable titles to see how such imbalances have undermined their longevity.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If only there was a wiki that had all their plans. :D

All archetypes will have their own versions of CC breaks.[8]
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crowd_control
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • I feel like CC is a must it adds such a good dynamic to video games. However I feel like CC should not be only for certain classes but for all classes, as well as cc breaks. If I can be cced I want the ability to use at least one get out of jail card.
    Flanker already mentioned it.

Share your opinion with intrepid:
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/61172/dev-discussion-68-crowd-control
  • ariatras wrote: »

Advocating that "all classes should possess X" is a precarious path, one that inevitably leads to class homogenization, eroding the diversity and nuance that enriches gameplay. Crowd control (CC), while capable of introducing tactical complexity in isolated duels or PvE encounters, must be employed judiciously. Games do not operate in a vacuum, and the overabundance of CC can severely diminish player agency, draining the enjoyment from the experience. One need only examine the pitfalls faced by comparable titles to see how such imbalances have undermined their longevity.

I agree with what you said partially. The only problem with one class having a cc and another not having a CC is that it becomes unfair in a 1v1 scenario. I think that they should try to re-invent the CC mechanic. I was an avid wow player at a high level for quite some time, so I know what you are referring to. I think, WoW has it down, I think they just need to either a) come up with something new or b) make CC 2 secs at max or C) no matter what the case is, whether snared or otherwise, have the ability to cast. So Short CCs for PvP, PvE not so much. It would be nice to see something refreshing and unique, nothing like we've saw before but just don't want it to suck either. xD
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    edited October 3
    ariatras wrote: »

I agree with what you said partially. The only problem with one class having a cc and another not having a CC is that it becomes unfair in a 1v1 scenario. I think that they should try to re-invent the CC mechanic. I was an avid wow player at a high level for quite some time, so I know what you are referring to. I think, WoW has it down, I think they just need to either a) come up with something new or b) make CC 2 secs at max or C) no matter what the case is, whether snared or otherwise, have the ability to cast. So Short CCs for PvP, PvE not so much. It would be nice to see something refreshing and unique, nothing like we've saw before but just don't want it to suck either. xD

Acknowledging your partial concurrence and the concerns regarding fairness in one-on-one scenarios where only certain classes wield crowd control (CC) abilities, I propose that support classes could uniquely specialize in CC and battlefield manipulation, thereby enhancing class diversity and strategic complexity. By dedicating support classes to the mastery of CC, they would inherently sacrifice some damage output and healing efficacy, thus distinguishing them from traditional damage dealers and healers. This specialization empowers support classes to orchestrate combat engagements, deftly manipulating enemy positioning and actions to confer a tactical advantage to their team. Reimagining CC mechanics to align with this role could address your suggestions such as limiting CC durations in PvP to a maximum of two seconds or allowing players to cast while snared thereby maintaining fairness without diminishing the impact of CC. This approach cultivates a refreshing and novel gameplay experience, emphasizing tactical acumen and collaboration over homogenized abilities, and ensures that CC remains a strategic asset rather than a source of frustration.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• I haven't put nearly as much thought into it as you have. I do think perhaps I have come to an alternative, however. Perhaps if the CC break is up more often than not, and making CC alot harder to lock someone out. I think for me that would be the ideal scenario. It doesn't matter if everyone on the team has a cc. If I have an out for a few of those Ccs, unless absolutely executed perfectly, then CC doesn't matter. So essentially, make it so that CC is only effective in a group environment with coordination. OMG I really like that idea!
  • Flanker wrote: »
    There is literally a thread dedicated to the discussion about CC, why make a separate thread about "what you feel"?

I was using my phone and thought that I was posting in the already created thread xD
  • There is a great mechanic of CC in Albion Online.
    There are couple variety of CC. Each CC diminish other CC going one after another to make CC chain more difficult to abuse. Crowd Control is categorized into groups and each type diminish itself.
    Stun make other stuns shorter, silence make other silences shorter etc.
    There are CC breaks as cleanse that removes (almost) any crowd Control from allies.
    Also there are multiple ways of making stacks of players. Compressions, knocks, grabbing etc. allowing various compositions, bombsquads, kidnapping etc.
    Players need to depend on each other, everyone have their role, like cleansing the enemy stack so people can use defensives or escape the engage.
  • ariatras wrote: »

its not unfair if one class has cc and the other one doesn't. the other one could have more damage to balance it out, or more tankiness. ashes isn't built around 1v1, its built around group play. one class has lots of cc, another one has lots of debuffs, another one has damage, etc, etc. not every class needs to be the same.
  • Gortanek wrote: »
    There is a great mechanic of CC in Albion Online.
    There are couple variety of CC. Each CC diminish other CC going one after another to make CC chain more difficult to abuse. Crowd Control is categorized into groups and each type diminish itself.
    Diminishing returns is also an implemented core concept of WoW since ~20 years. In pvp, it will not work without that mechanics.

• P0GG0P0GG0 Member
    edited October 4
    they needs to be visual hints on when a stun is about to get launched. not all class need to get a CC break.
  • edited October 4
    Chaliux wrote: »
    Gortanek wrote: »
    Diminishing returns is also an implemented core concept of WoW since ~20 years. In pvp, it will not work without that mechanics.
    P0GG0 wrote: »
    they needs to be visual hints on when a stun is about to get launched. not all class need to get a CC break.

• Chaliux wrote: »
    Gortanek wrote: »

I don't think CC should be such a high level of game play. I think the actual combat abilities should set you apart, not the CC. Because on WoW for instance, what sets a good player apart from a great player is literally just CC and timing of said CC. It's such a stupid concept. I think CC should be simple but when done right it is powerful. Not extremely difficult and the actual reason you win a fight.
  • I feel like CC is a must it adds such a good dynamic to video games. However I feel like CC should not be only for certain classes but for all classes, as well as cc breaks. If I can be cced I want the ability to use at least one get out of jail card.

This was an accidental creation of an already existing thread. Not seeing a way to delete or I would. Well this is awkward, but Hi! :)

Hat makes you think that cc is not common?
  • I don't think CC should be such a high level of game play. I think the actual combat abilities should set you apart, not the CC. Because on WoW for instance, what sets a good player apart from a great player is literally just CC and timing of said CC. It's such a stupid concept. I think CC should be simple but when done right it is powerful. Not extremely difficult and the actual reason you win a fight.
    Sure, I can agree with that. Ashes is not that focussed on small scale battles, so CC is perhaps something secondary. If you battle in 40v40 fights, probably one single CC effect is enough to kill an enemy. In small scale pvp that must not be the case.

The aspect of diminishing returns is not so complex but very important, because it solves the problem of massive CC-chains, which are no fun. Without it, CC effect after CC effect can be placed on a target and that enemy will be locked out of the game as long as no cc break is available (from himself or somebody from his group). And, it's no huge fun to be in stunlocks and CC for 20 seconds. The concept of DR just reduces this cc chains, it's simple but effective.
  • P0GG0P0GG0 Member
    not a fan of passive anti CC, rather make 2 classes who's job it is to counter the lock.