Chat Translator

Good afternoon, everyone! I've noticed that there are some games that have a built-in chat translator. Given that the game is expected to be very social in all areas. Will there be such a function in AoC? I understand that someone may not like this function, so that the chat is constantly translated into another language, someone likes to play conditionally only in English, so that they can see the original text. But it would be possible to do this in the game settings so that you can enable or disable automatic chat translation. As for me, this is a very convenient feature, for players who do not know other languages well and communication between players would be easier. I set an example for myself, I joined a multilingual guild in one game and sometimes there were languages from Turkey, England, the Czech Republic and Spain and it was not always possible to understand who was talking about what. And initially, it is not always correct to limit people to communicate only in one language. This is especially convenient in a raid. If someone is not in the voice chat or it is already late and they cannot log into the voice chat, because someone at home may already be asleep and do not want to wake him up. Therefore, the chat comes and the RL can duplicate its messages in the chat and anyone can understand what is required of it from the raid. As for me, this is a very convenient feature! What would you think about it?

Comments

• Is it a good idea? Absolutely.

Is it an idea Intrepid can fit into the project before launch? Probably not.

Would it be a good idea after launch as an enhancement? Definitely.
  • McShaveMcShave Member, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    IDK if it is a "probably not" before launch. last year we heard voice AI is not in the scope of the game, and we saw it in the last dev update. I think it is certainly possible to see it before full release, and I think it would be great to see.
  • AstuWarAstuWar Member
    edited October 10
    As someone who went on to become an actual translator partly because of his time interpreting for friends and clan members in online games, you have no idea how much of the social aspect of the game you'd be removing by enabling machine translation in chat. It's close to allowing bots to fill up a party when you can't find a healer or a tank.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    edited October 11
    As an old member of Phoenix on Stormrage (World of Warcraft). I'm hoping this isn't the case. Being from Europe, some of the broken English one hears is absolutely charming.

For those who wonder why on Earth I added seemingly superfluous information regarding my guild.

https://youtu.be/Gc8wbqZ03Ik?t=29

And yes, Oce really spoke like that. Every single one of our members learned "Oceism" as we dubbed it.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• AstuWar wrote: »
    As someone who went on to become an actual translator partly because of his time interpreting for friends and clan members in online games, you have no idea how much of the social aspect of the game you'd be removing by enabling machine translation in chat. It's close to allowing bots to fill up a party when you can't find a healer or a tank.

That's all great, but there are one in a million people like you. I've never met anyone like that. usually my everyday life is in the game - I write to someone in my native language and I don't understand the answer. I do not know your language. and when they write to me, I immediately log into Google translate and see what they are asking me about. unfortunately, most people are lazy and seeing a language they don't know, they don't try to understand what they wanted from them and just try to politely say that they don't understand.
  • ariatras wrote: »
    As an old member of Phoenix on Stormrage (World of Warcraft). I'm hoping this isn't the case. Being from Europe, some of the broken English one hears is absolutely charming.

For those who wonder why on Earth I added seemingly superfluous information regarding my guild.

And yes, Oce really spoke like that. Every single one of our members learned "Oceism" as we dubbed it.

it seems that we are not talking about what an accent might like, but about the fact that not everyone knows languages, according to some data there are about 260 language groups in Europe. and less than 35% of people speak English.
  • I can remember an interesting story. 10 years ago, I played a wonderful game on an American server. I met a guy there. we talked with him for about six months. he said that he loves Russia because he has a grandmother from there. and that he lives in Texas. and after a while, he began to invite people to visit him in almost every conversation and say that he had a gun. then the translation was much worse than it is now and it began to seem strange to me and I had to stop communicating with him.
    and I moved to European servers and then made friends with myself from Germany, from Liverpool, from Spain.) but there was always a problem. This is a language problem. we spend a lot of time translating and typing text in the translator to communicate...
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    tul1pe wrote: »
    ariatras wrote: »

it seems that we are not talking about what an accent might like, but about the fact that not everyone knows languages, according to some data there are about 260 language groups in Europe. and less than 35% of people speak English.

The statistic you're referencing is quite skewed, as it encompasses individuals who are only marginally involved in gaming or the online community, unlike those of us who are deeply integrated into the digital world.

While it’s true that Europe hosts a vast linguistic diversity, with around 260 language groups and less than 35% of its population speaking English, some countries actively enforce language localization—like France and Germany. The rest of us, however, often engage with speakers whose English is imperfect—not just accented but fundamentally flawed in grammar and syntax, which occasionally leads to amusing interactions.

This analysis is also somewhat limited in scope. From my experience, roleplay servers seem to attract players with a higher-than-average proficiency in English. On the other hand, I frequently revisit Ragnarok Online, an international server that draws a significant number of players from the Philippines. Despite the diversity, language is rarely a barrier; while sentences might be unorthodox or certain words misused, understanding them requires no AI-driven assistance. Furthermore, there’s a psychological element worth noting: overcoming shared linguistic challenges often strengthens the bond between players, fostering a sense of camaraderie through mutual struggle.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• syldonsyldon Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I once did a raid with a French group where no one there could speak English and my French is very limited. I simply opened a couple of google translator pages (one for FR>ENG another for ENG>FR). It was slow but extremely friendly. It would be awesome if we had an in game option to do this.

I don't think it will have a negative impact on the game. People join discord or comms for voice communication. They will always take this option provided they feel they can understand one another.

dikruvxh2njh.png
  • TheDarkSorcererTheDarkSorcerer Member, Alpha Two
    edited October 11
    Seems like a VERY easy thing to add to release of game. Even most dating apps have this small feature already implemented when traveling abroad. Ai translates the chat for you.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif