Character Design / Customization - Are cosmetics going to be race/class locked?

I love the idea of full autonomy in the choice of what I can and can't wear - but I also understand the limitations on the side of the designing side.

BDO has a really great example of cosmetics and hairstyles being locked for specific classes. It seems very unrealistic in that sense, and I'm hoping this doesn't carry over to the world of Verra.

On this note - will there be gender locks on how pieces look? Such as women can only wear a skirt version of the piece and only men can wear pants kind of locking.

Hairstyles—will these also be locked behind genders and races? So many games limit how one can choose to style one's hair, and many men and women nowadays share hairstyle fashion choices. I'm very interested in knowing how AOC views the full range of customization, freedom of choice, and storytelling regarding how we choose to represent ourselves in the world of Verra.

Comments

• HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Zanna wrote: »
    BDO has a really great example of cosmetics and hairstyles being locked for specific classes. It seems very unrealistic in that sense, and I'm hoping this doesn't carry over to the world of Verra.

So far nothing has been classlocked that we've seen.

However hairstyles have been genderlocked and costumes have male/female variants.

clm08nazdtzk.png
    ib43ji1swcvn.png
    tdbillbex70w.png
    od95s32mytqr.png
    avwpd2lvjfcq.png
    wx71w6shob5i.png
    h8z8dvpxo0ax.png
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here.
    And all the emptiness inside disappears.
  • ZannaZanna Member
    Thank you for sharing the visuals. This helps. I hope that they add in the ability to choose male/female versions of the hairstyles - the models are already made and would be an easy way to create an additional asset with a bit of tweaking I would assume.

Side note, that red dress omg that's stunning and I want it lol

Do we know if the clothing is dyeable?
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Zanna there will be dyes. Dyes will apparently use a channel system with pigments that you find or make. So you may not be able to dye every part to a colour that you want.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Dyes

We don't know exactly which costumes or other items of gear will be dyeable yet.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here.
    And all the emptiness inside disappears.
  • CawwCaww Member
    The costume cosmetics that have already been sold never stated any race/class restrictions.
  • Ashes has a system where each race has an aesthetic and some of that carries over to their gear. A dress on a Vaelun won't look the same as the same dress on a Nikua. So the outfits aren't race locked but they will be modified based on race.
    We haven't seen concrete examples of this yet - I don't think that system is in place.
  • Zanna wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing the visuals. This helps. I hope that they add in the ability to choose male/female versions of the hairstyles - the models are already made and would be an easy way to create an additional asset with a bit of tweaking I would assume.

Side note, that red dress omg that's stunning and I want it lol

Do we know if the clothing is dyeable?

Oh yeah, the clothing sets have gotta let you select which version you want regardless of the character model's sex. It'd be ass to get stuck with some of the goofy looking version when I just want the male design equipped.

Like this one. Only version I'd ever want to use is the right.
    acxo50pcwgai.png

Proper flowing robes vs whatever poofskirt nonsense is going on with the other one.
  • There are for Example " Steel (??) " Helmets of an Armor-Set which i think looks pretty Cityguard~ish,

which look different depending if a Dwarf (Dunir) or Human wears that Helmet. ;) So smol' Differences at the Races when wearing the very same Clothes and/or Armors, will exist.

And of Course, a huge, hulking Renkai will look different with the Armors than a petite Elf, or a thin Vek. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)