Will Player Characters using AI Voice Over?

MistaShadwMistaShadw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
They showed how the Quest NPC will be using AI Voice Overs, and I was just curious during these communications will the Players character also be using this same system? May enhance the questing experience.

I think the best MMO Questing was RuneScape (for the uniqueness of quest) and SW:TOR (for the story and cut scenes). SWTOR would've benefitted from this majorly if the players character also used a voice to respond. It was like watching a movie where the main character never talks (Movie: Willy's Wonderland [Nicolas Cage]).

Comments

• HalaeHalae Member
    I don't believe they can. Your responses to incoming quests is list view selection. Think of it similar to the old Fallout or Elder Scrolls Games, where you were given an array of choices for how to respond. Your opponent likely has dialogue and voice lines, but if you were given voice lines the number of responses would balloon out to be totally untenable, unless they massively pared them down, which was one of the largest complaints about Fallout 4.

Fact is, the player has a voice of their own, and assigning one is both resource intensive and generally a bad idea for immersion purposes unless those answers are highly curated, which increases the resource problem.

Long and short of it is that if you wanna talk to someone, get on voice comms. It's not worth adding AI speech to player characters for numerous reasons.
  • They could offer a tool on the client side to change your voice. I am quite certain 3rd party apps offer this. Doesn’t help with what you say, just the voice sound.