Artisan + Class Flavor/Buff

Good Morning All!

I would absolutely LOVE to see a small class buff that would apply to each Artisan profession.

Some Examples:
Anything a Bard Scribes, drips with musical notes, while a Cleric scribing something would add a holy symbol;
Anything a Mage Tailors could have a small 'random elemental resist', while a Rogue Tailor could have a small 'bleed resist';
When a Ranger Cooks meals, they could provide a small movement buff, while a Tank who cooked the same meal would provide extra HP.

I would love to see this apply to Alchemy and Animal Husbandry as well.

From many angles, this could provide a ton of fun.

Role-player Artisans could really ham up a theme around their Class Identity.

PvE Crafters could carve out another niche to set them apart from the 100th other leatherworker.

PvP Crafters could really dial in specific bonuses/buffs to fine tune their engagements.

The buffs don't even have to be a whole % point, but the greater the buff, the cooler all of these interactions can be.

"Oh! Do I want a ranger-made greatsword for 1% movement? Or do I want a Tank-made greatsword for 1% increased Physical Disable Mod?"

What do you guys think?

Comments

• RocketFarmerRocketFarmer Member, Alpha Two
    Don’t we get buffs from stuff we make? You want more???
  • RocketFarmer - it doesn't have to be big, it can be thematic. Like Rogue crafted stuff is more shadowy, or like I mentioned above, Bard crafted stuff has musical notes.

Small buffs would be cool, but not necessary. Think of these as racials, but class fantasy focused.

This would be AMAZING for furniture themes,
  • We don't know much about Summoner for themes, but Rogues could add 1 Dex to gear, food, pots, animals, etc.

Maybe their carpentry is 'Gilded' with more gold inlay.

The Mages could add a random elemental resist to crafted things, while their Carpentry sparks with electricity, or glows with embers, or sheds snowflakes.
  • HalaeHalae Member, Alpha Two
    I don't like it; that'd lead to specific optimizations on the part of crafters. Say you want to be a summoner, but you need to play a rogue to be optimal at crafting the kind of weaponry that's in-demand for your area. How do you reconcile that? Do you just grind one of literally every class up in your selected professions?

I'd much rather that stay a non-consideration. If you want to make something, it should be agnostic to what class you are, and only consider what type of artisan you are.
  • There's no Bind on Pick-up. If you were a Rogue, but wanted something with improved movements speed that a Ranger can make, then you just buy those items - and THAT's also a major point. This would make it so players sought out specific crafters, which could mean a journey all its own!
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I would be very tentatively okay with this if it had one very specific implementation (social orgs + time spent with a specific secondary Archetype), but I don't know that I'd bother, because then Intrepid would need to work out how to avoid it just being cheesed by everyone.

It would also need to be 'less' than what master crafters could do anyway. Basically just Roleplaying tier implementation.

I think at that point it counts as 'feature creep', at least for me.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Tjaeden wrote: »
    There's no Bind on Pick-up. If you were a Rogue, but wanted something with improved movements speed that a Ranger can make, then you just buy those items - and THAT's also a major point. This would make it so players sought out specific crafters, which could mean a journey all its own!

Being a sought after crafter with something how ever small mechanical uniquness to your crafts is a worthy goal. But doing so with adventuring class or archetype seems like a bad idea as a wall between these two is very important. Rather any of the effects your looking for should be achivements within the Artisan proffession or a thrid silo of content such as religion/social orgs.

I could even see potential for Nodes which house the top crafting stations to have mayor selected buffs of this nature which get applied to all crafting done locally, thus establishing a kind of 'local style'. While it would not reside with the crafter directly it could still lead to being sought after.
  • I like the religion/social organization part, that may impact these skills.

AND you make a good point with the Node potential.

So how about a comprise. The Class Hall can teach crafting secrets.

Imagine Rogue Guilds teaching extra bleeding effects/defensives as a mid level questing reward. The node would have to build a Rogues Guild.

Then you would have 2 incentivizing play loops - players who want to buy from Rogue crafters, and stray Rogues in the world who would seek out this training. (Maybe their home node went Cleric).

I can see Fighter Arenas, Mage Towers, Bards Concert Halls.

Thanks for sparking those ideas!