Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Interaction: What do You Hope to See?

As we know this game is going to be filled with endless opportunities for character and world building, and a good chunk of it is going to be through cooperative play and teamwork. What I am trying to ask here, is what would you like to see within Ashes of Creation for players to be able to do with each other? This can also be helpful for the community of roleplayers out there ~me being a part of that community~ who are wanting to see what kind of relationships and individual actions you can do with others?

Suggestions could range form an intimacy system and marriage, a unique one on one trade system, emotes, and even if you can use your skills to possibly help others like throwing a rope down to help them get off a ledge or putting a bubble around them to protect them from attack (even though those sound more around class mechanics) though you all get my drift! I wanna hear what you all think!

And if the developers can provide any info or sneak peak to this, that would be awesome as well!

-Demivore

Comments

• Options
    I'm really hoping for better player/pet development​. I've written A LOT about it <a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/petmountcompanion-obtaining-quest-idea-some-mechanics-related-to-it-2/">here</a>.
  • Options
    This game has potential for RolePlayers to set their nests in. Of course, it also depends if there will be costumes within the game and a lore for all the races that they plan on including into the game. There's only a vague lore about the game, but will it be expanded throughout time? Since the devs have mentioned there won't be a cash shop system for its subscription model, would that mean they plan to have an option to craft such outfits or it's purely going to be with armor sets? If so, can you mix and match the armor pieces around? Like in guild wars 2? Or would they just be a one piece set? As well as would there be such things a dyes within the game? So you may color the outfit to your own choice.

If all these options might be available then RolePlayers would join, but even without them, these options would be nice to have within the game since there are people out there that wish for their characters to look amazing. It would be cool if the devs did add such a thing! \o/

-DeeKitty
  • Options
    This is a very minor thing, but I feel it helps quite a bit with immersion, but I hope we get speech bubbles. Recently, the MMO's I've tried out have completely neglected this tiny aspect, and I feel it's really detrimental. I usually like to just focus on the environment or the characters and very rarely look at the text box on the bottom left. Especially in battle or in highly aggressive areas. It's also kind of annoying and immersion breaking when I see a character doing an emote, but I have to look at the corner of my screen away from the character to see what they're saying with the emote. It's also kind of annoying when I see someone say something like "Hey, check this out!" and I have look at the name, then try to match the name to the avatar before following.

Again, I know this is fairly minor, and it's mostly just inconvenient and somewhat immersion breaking without it. But I'd really like to see the return of speech bubbles.

Secondly, an Auto-party system, like in Guild Wars 2. Just the non-existence of kill stealing. Any and all help appreciated, and it made dealing with dynamic quests much more fluid. An organized party system still existed but it was mostly used to keep track of those in said party on the map, and for easier/private conversations.

And the last thing off the top of my head is different languages. While more of a "this was cool" and less of a "I want to see this here too" one thing that really helped with immersion in World of Warcraft was that each race (except humans) had their own languages. Sure, they all spoke Alliance or Horde "Common" by default, but you can switch to speak your characters native tongue where only others of that race could understand. While I didn't like that the Alliance and Horde never shared a language (at least when I played way back) it certainly made some interesting attempts to communicate. And it wasn't as if the language just became gibberish when hearing the other languages. A certain cypher was used. So with enough patience, one could actually eventually "learn" the other languages. Or at least have notes for the alphabetical cypher key to translate.

That's all I got for now.
  • Options
    [quote quote=6843]This is a very minor thing, but I feel it helps quite a bit with immersion, but I hope we get speech bubbles.
    Again, I know this is fairly minor, and it’s mostly just inconvenient and somewhat immersion breaking without it. But I’d really like to see the return of speech bubbles.

Secondly, an Auto-party system, like in Guild Wars 2. Just the non-existence of kill stealing. Any and all help appreciated, and it made dealing with dynamic quests much more fluid. An organized party system still existed but it was mostly used to keep track of those in said party on the map, and for easier/private conversations.

[/quote]

Speech Bubbles are ok if players can turn them off. Speech bubbles can really crowd up a persons monitor.

As for your Auto-Party System. No. Auto-Party systems have no place in MMORPGS. This is exactly what is wrong with MMORPGS today. The games should not be Auto-Grouping random people together. It completely kills Community and makes the game nothing more than a Single Player Game. The game as WOW, SWTOR and the rest of the MMORPGS out there today that are having problems keeping people interested in the games for more than a few weeks at a time. Players should be forced to make groups themselves. Yes a Browser so people can find parties that are looking for members, or Parties that are looking for players but no Automated Grouping BS. I might as well play FFXIV if that is the case because Ashes will be no different than FFXIV except having a node system in the game for Open World PVP and no community to speak of.
  • Options
    I want to see players FORCED to make their own groups by communicating and no I am not talking about a LFG Chat Channel. I am Ok with a Group Browser/LF Member browser where people and groups can put themselves on list for people to find them. Automated tools have hurt MMORPGS for years. They force hack and slash easy content first of all because people refused to communicate because the tool is designed for people who want to smash a few buttons for 10 minutes then move to the next thing. Second it kills any need for guilds and Friends list so their are no more communities anymore within MMORPGS. When you can get a group within 10 minutes by only clicking a button what is the point to talk to anyone.
  • Options
    [quote quote=6853]As for your Auto-Party System. No. Auto-Party systems have no place in MMORPGS. This is exactly what is wrong with MMORPGS today. The games should not be Auto-Grouping random people together. It completely kills Community and makes the game nothing more than a Single Player Game. The game as WOW, SWTOR and the rest of the MMORPGS out there today that are having problems keeping people interested in the games for more than a few weeks at a time. Players should be forced to make groups themselves. Yes a Browser so people can find parties that are looking for members, or Parties that are looking for players but no Automated Grouping BS. I might as well play FFXIV if that is the case because Ashes will be no different than FFXIV except having a node system in the game for Open World PVP and no community to speak of.[/quote]

You misunderstand. I'm not saying automate EVERYTHING that has to do with parties. Just when you're out in the world wandering and exploring, doing small scale stuff. The argument from the other side is that things like kill stealing and loot priorities is also highly detrimental to Community-making as it encourages a more greedy and selfish mindset, which also encourages the more solo or single player mindset. When someone sees another having trouble with a mob, or actually losing, people are much less likely to aid them when you're more likely to be called a "jerk" or "KSer" just for trying to help. Hell, even if you ask them first, and they say no, they're still going to be slightly miffed at you for distracting them from a hard fight. While Guild Wars 2 did a number of things I've disagreed with (like removing healers as a playstyle), streamlining this specific example was something I've only had positive community experiences with. But your misunderstanding comes from me not specifying that I meant it in this limited fashion, so I do apologize.

When talking about dungeons, or higher difficulty tasks, or whatever else in that area. I do mostly agree. The Group Finder tools, while extremely convenient, have mostly worked against the idea of Community. Especially when they became cross-server since if you found a cool person in the Group Finder, you couldn't keep in contact unless one of you was willing to switch servers which we can all understand is no easy decision in most cases.

IMO, if you want to REALLY encourage Community, one way is you have to make the game hard. And I mean HARD! Sure, you can have weaker areas for players to get used to things, but once you go beyond those borders, information becomes limited, and monsters can range from almost doable to World Bosses that just wander the land. Encourage the philosophy "Safely in numbers," or if they really want to safely solo stuff, then they have to either be really careful, or have some kind of class/mechanic that let's them bypass most mobs (ie. stealth, but also have specific mobs with detection so they don't get too comfortable). Secondly, is to make each class uniquely important. Don't design any class to be completely self sufficient (they can have a little bit to an extent). Maybe have one or two that specializes in versatility over being ultra specialized in any one field, but that's it. And even then, they're really only second best (at most) in any field. Or can take on a role if played correctly with the right manipulation of buffs/debuffs or something. Other than those two examples, all classes CANNOT be self sufficient.

Now, this is a rather extreme example, I'm leaving out a lot of details, and the idea itself is definitely not perfect. I highly doubt very many people would actually enjoy this type of game design except for a specific niche market, which I don't think the developers are aiming for (but I could be wrong). Simply put, if you want to encourage Community and Communication, you give them reasons to band together. Huge challenges to conquer that require an ORGANIZED effort. While the Auto-Dungeon Group Finder certainly contributed to Communities becoming less relevant in MMO's, IMO, changing that only alleviates the problem a little bit. The main source of the problem is how developers design their games. IE. Making them too easy.
  • Options
    [quote quote=6667] Since the devs have mentioned there won’t be a cash shop system for its subscription model, would that mean they plan to have an option to craft such outfits or it’s purely going to be with armor sets? If so, can you mix and match the armor pieces around? Like in guild wars 2? Or would they just be a one piece set? As well as would there be such things a dyes within the game? So you may color the outfit to your own choice.

My hope is that they have costumes available through crafting, achievements, pvp, and killing hard bosses in pve. I miss the old wow days where you'd see a player with a particular weapon and you'd instantly know that player is a badass and did x in order to get that weapon. In order to give players more options on their look however I'd like to make said items costumes and not actual armor sets so you wouldn't be stuck with a specific look just because a specific item is bis for the build your going for.
    [/quote]
  • Options
    [quote quote=6882]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/player-interaction-what-do-you-hope-to-see/#post-6667" rel="nofollow">DeeKitty wrote:</a></div>
    Since the devs have mentioned there won’t be a cash shop system for its subscription model, would that mean they plan to have an option to craft such outfits or it’s purely going to be with armor sets? If so, can you mix and match the armor pieces around? Like in guild wars 2? Or would they just be a one piece set? As well as would there be such things a dyes within the game? So you may color the outfit to your own choice.

My hope is that they have costumes available through crafting, achievements, pvp, and killing hard bosses in pve. I miss the old wow days where you’d see a player with a particular weapon and you’d instantly know that player is a badass and did x in order to get that weapon. In order to give players more options on their look however I’d like to make said items costumes and not actual armor sets so you wouldn’t be stuck with a specific look just because a specific item is bis for the build your going for.

</blockquote>
    [/quote]

The Days of thinking a player is a bad ass based on gear is over. Too many special snowflakes will bitch and leave if they are not given that gear too. You would be better off having gear that can be glamoured. Then have tons of different gear looks which should be easy to create because you can give them different looks based on Elemental resistances players are using or Elemental damages they have on their weapons.
  • Options
    [quote quote=6853]As for your Auto-Party System. No. Auto-Party systems have no place in MMORPGS. This is exactly what is wrong with MMORPGS today. The games should not be Auto-Grouping random people together. It completely kills Community and makes the game nothing more than a Single Player Game. The game as WOW, SWTOR and the rest of the MMORPGS out there today that are having problems keeping people interested in the games for more than a few weeks at a time. Players should be forced to make groups themselves. Yes a Browser so people can find parties that are looking for members, or Parties that are looking for players but no Automated Grouping BS. I might as well play FFXIV if that is the case because Ashes will be no different than FFXIV except having a node system in the game for Open World PVP and no community to speak of.[/quote]

You misunderstand. I'm not saying automate EVERYTHING that has to do with parties. Just when you're out in the world wandering and exploring, doing small scale stuff. If you run into someone and help them kill a mob, instead of loot priority or distributing exp based on damage done or whatever, it just rewards both players. The argument from the other side is that things like kill stealing and loot priorities is also highly detrimental to Community-making as it encourages a more greedy and selfish mindset, which also encourages the more solo or single player mindset. When someone sees another having trouble with a mob, or actually losing, people are much less likely to aid them when you're more likely to be called a "jerk" or "KSer" just for trying to help. Hell, even if you ask them first, and they say no, they're still going to be slightly miffed at you for distracting them from a hard fight. While Guild Wars 2 did a number of things I've disagreed with (like removing healers as a playstyle), streamlining this specific example was something I've only had positive community experiences with. But your misunderstanding comes from me not specifying that I meant it in this limited fashion, so I do apologize.

When talking about dungeons, or higher difficulty tasks, or whatever else in that area. I do mostly agree. The Group Finder tools, while extremely convenient, have mostly worked against the idea of Community. Especially when they became cross-server since if you found a cool person in the Group Finder, you couldn't keep in contact unless one of you was willing to switch servers which we can all understand is no easy decision in most cases.

IMO, if you want to REALLY encourage Community, one way is you have to make the game hard. And I mean HARD! Sure, you can have weaker areas for players to get used to things, but once you go beyond those borders, information becomes limited, and monsters can range from almost doable to World Bosses that just wander the land. Encourage the philosophy "Safely in numbers," or if they really want to safely solo stuff, then they have to either be really careful, or have some kind of class/mechanic that let's them bypass most mobs (ie. stealth, but also have specific mobs with detection so they don't get too comfortable). Secondly, is to make each class uniquely important. Don't design any class to be completely self sufficient (they can have a little bit to an extent). Maybe have one or two that specializes in versatility over being ultra specialized in any one field, but that's it. And even then, they're really only second best (at most) in any field. Or can take on a role if played correctly with the right manipulation of buffs/debuffs or something. Other than those two examples, all classes CANNOT be self sufficient.

Now, this is a rather extreme example, I'm leaving out a lot of details, and the idea itself is definitely not perfect. I highly doubt very many people would actually enjoy this type of game design except for a specific niche market, which I don't think the developers are aiming for (but I could be wrong). Simply put, if you want to encourage Community and Communication, you give them reasons to band together. Huge challenges to conquer that require an ORGANIZED effort (which sounds like the developers have some ideas for). While the Auto-Dungeon Group Finder certainly contributed to Communities becoming less relevant in MMO's, IMO, changing that only alleviates the problem a little bit. The main source of the problem is how developers design their games. IE. Making them too easy.

Extra line 'cause my original post disappeared into the void.
  • Options
    It the main issue is kill stealing I feel the best way is to reward loot to anyone that did more than 5% of the bosses health in damage, OR did 5% healing to the person fighting the mob. This way if I am tanking and my wife is healing its as easy because I should be taking more than a small amount of damage fighting anything of equal level or higher than myself.

I agree things shouldnt be easy and people should want to group up to reduce the risk of loosing time because they are face smashing content. I feel that automating the grouping of any MMORPG just hurts the games. You dont want to kill solo content BUT it should be a risk that players shouldnt want to just sit and solo stuff because its slower and could cost them a lot of time. Even a group of 2 would be better than soloing. if designed right.

I think kill stealing should be some thing we can easily fix without just randomly grouping people.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the crafting aspect of the game. Any time an MMO can put real power into the hands of player crafting I consider it a major plus. Too often you have games where players can craft great gear until end-game and then it suddenly becomes all about loot progression, leaving crafting obsolete.
  • Options
    Interact for me - have emotes that allows you to dance or laugh with others players, make a hand check, Kiss them, etc... 
    Play minigames like chess or cards would be nice too... 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Demivore said:
    players to be able to do with each other? 
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Options
    I never really played an open PVP type environment since Shadowbane (yes, I know). The overall community seemed pretty good. It preceded WoW and seemed to have a good community from the earlier games of Everquest etc. There were a few bad apples... (like the toxic player that had a high level thief on day 2 and was "camping" behind a group of noobs I was with and stealing all of our money) but overall it seemed to be in good fun. I'm hoping more for the good fun community that absolutely destroys the will of toxic play. To me, you don't deserve to play if you're only in it to make the game unplayable for someone else.
  • Options
    I would love to see a marriage system, I would also love racial languages, and the ability to pick them up.

Say I roll a standard human, and I hear two Elves talk, I won't know what they are talking about, but over time, the more I hear the speech, the more words I get to pick up. Until, finally I learn the language, somewhat, to the point where I can speak with them. But if I don't hear it for a while, or use it, the skill decays again.
  • Options
    There is marriage. 
  • Options
    Loved the old EQ way of learning languages with language spamming.  Would love to see language spamming and picking up other language with exposure.  I also loved seeing the different language scripts in chat and in chat bubbles. 
  • Options
    Elder said:
    There is marriage. 
    What about love?
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Elder said:
    There is marriage. 
    What about love?
    First comes love. Then comes marriage. Then comes Karthos Junior in a baby carriage.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Elder said:
    There is marriage. 
    What about love?
    what about power?
  • Options
    Speech bubbles.  Like Marmite aren't they.  Some people love them some hate them.  I'm a lover.  I loved that if some one shouted help or over here in SWG, you could see immediately who it is calling.  Make them toggle-able tho for the haters.
  • Options
    - grab someones ass
    - slap someones face
    - kick someone (regardless if he is alive or a corpse)
    - pick pocketing (taking small amount of currency - few copper - if successful)
    - carrying someone in arms (being able to jump off the cliff while doing that)
    - play dead
    - play with boobs

Ok, that's enough for now. :)
  • Options
    Nevermuse said:
    Karthos said:
    Elder said:
    There is marriage. 
    What about love?
    First comes love. Then comes marriage. Then comes Karthos Junior in a baby carriage.
    I don't need anymore family around here...
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Nevermuse said:
    Karthos said:
    Elder said:
    There is marriage. 
    What about love?
    I don't need anymore family around here...
    haha I haven't seen them for a while
  • Options
    nagash said:

Who knows what happened to them. I saw Karthos come late back to appartment with shovel few nights ago.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    nagash said:

Who knows what happened to them. I saw Karthos come late back to appartment with shovel few nights ago.
    strange. dave got a phone call as well at the same time and he said he was going to make some new friends.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    I also wanted to see an intimacy/marriage system that is better developed that includes a joint storage system and co-ownership of housing and personal resource nodes. You could also command your pet to assist your partner when you are away (the level of course being adjusted to the assigned person with perhaps an "If the pet dies, only the owner will be allowed to resurrect it" with a cooldown time on re-assigning) **People will just need to weigh the risks when they go out looking for a sugar-daddy or mamma. It's better to stick with people you know and trust.

Would like pets to have more interaction options and the ability to even have them guard your property when you are away (regardless of distance until you summon them again). However, to avoid exploiting you would only be allowed to do this on your own property now not in open world. Interaction options being a loyalty/happiness system on how much you play with them or bring them out into the world of danger. I also like the Pet Breeding system that was in Black Desert Online, except that I would like to be able to search the world and tame the pets myself versus swiping just to get more pets to breed with. Again though, I would prefer to see this as only appearance variations, and leave level and their ability to do more damage/abilitities/interactions on player progression with the animal.