Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestions on how quests should be done

My suggestion is try not to make a quest just kill and collect, like the route many mmo's go down. I think you need to make each quest feel different. I would have them based on story, and try to make the player feel like he/she is doing something meaningful. For example, you come across a notice on a board, the mayor of the town put a bounty on a criminal who has killed 3 people while trying to rob a shop. You go to the location of the criminal and to your surprise you find a house. You go inside and find the supposed criminal and he begs you not to kill him, he says hes a changed man, and has children and a family that currently went to the market. Then you decide to either kill him, or go back to the mayor and ask him why he wants this man dead. If you kill him you go back and collect the bounty, the quest is done, although if you choose not to you go back to the mayor and he says that someone is blackmailing him to kill him if the criminal is not killed he will murder his family, he figured it was some common criminal. Then you can either go kill the criminal, or tell him that you cant do it. If you kill him you go back, and get your reward. If you don't, you complete the quest, and walk down the stairs, and find the letter used to blackmail him. Then you get another quest to go track down the blackmailer. I wouldn't say you would have to have voice acting, you would just need to have it quick and easy to read, and not large paragraphs, but not hindering people who don't care and just want to skip the texts. Though I would have it difficult, but have different cleaver ways to defeat bosses and whatnot. Or having things make it easier if you find out its weaknesses by looking around. Of course, I imagine, not every quest can be like this, although i think it would be worth it making most of the quests interesting, and feel like you not doing the same thing over and over again. Also another way to make a few quests interesting is have quests that use machines and things. For example, use this catapult to shoot down these giant birds trying to attack the city. Or ride on a horse to win a horse race. Although if there too many of them they might get tedious. Also I would make all the quests change in a node each time its destroyed and build again, so you don't feel like your doing the same thing over again. It would help If you have more different quests pop up once in a while to keep you busy after you completed everything. I think that quests are a core feature, and I don't want for quests to end up feeling like you have to go on and do a bunch of daily kill and collect quests.

Although this is just my opinion, I don't want to claim to encompass everyone's opinion. So whats yours?

Comments

• Options
    No worries mang! The super tedius, grindy, kill/collect/talk quest are something they are rather adamant about avoiding! While there will be some of the grindy stuff to do like you're used to, there will be much much more than that. This is what has been said by intrepid about the 3 types of questing we will be seeing:

"We’re going to be breaking up what is traditionally called ‘questing’ into three different categories: Narratives, Events, and Tasks. We want to avoid going down the path of trying to force narrative into gameplay where it doesn’t really fit (ie: filler stuff that doesn’t really relate to what’s happening in the world), so what you find in the Narratives category is where you’ll find most of what you might call traditional quests. Because we’re jettisoning filler, we’ll have the resources to craft a really excellent story, with gameplay that reflects the scope of that story. Events are where you’ll find your public quests, though these will be scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs. They’ll also have consequences locally, regionally, and globally, for good (if they’re taken care of successfully) or for ill (if a fail condition is reached). Tasks are hyper-local to individual Nodes, and will be centered around developing the Node that they belong to. If you want to go kill five wolves, this is where you’d do it. You can kill five wolves on your own, and that will count toward Node progression, but if a Task is offered to kill five wolves, then both the Node and your character will get bonus XP when that task is completed. Tasks will be numerous and varied, and will reflect the different gameplay styles that players can engage in within Ashes – there will be crafting, exploration, combat, and gathering oriented tasks (among many others)."

So as you can see questing is going to be very interesting in this game. I'm also going to give you a link to the community folders google docs, that were put together but some very wonderful people on the discord in case there is any other known information you would like to browse through. https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/

I also recommend DeathsProxy's videos if you want to get a more visual feel while you get your information. His "What we know so far" playlist has a wealth of information. Most of the information in his videos will be explained in the community folders, but if you would prefer a visual with your info this is certainly the way to go :) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJvvIDgksu7OluQF-IeSzwh_AlEMe8m7s

Hope that eases your mind a little bit on questing!!
  • Options
    hmmmmm forums buggy so if this double posted my apologies:

No worries mang! The super tedius, grindy, kill/collect/talk quest are something they are rather adamant about avoiding! While there will be some of the grindy stuff to do like you're used to, there will be much much more than that. This is what has been said by intrepid about the 3 types of questing we will be seeing:

"We’re going to be breaking up what is traditionally called ‘questing’ into three different categories: Narratives, Events, and Tasks. We want to avoid going down the path of trying to force narrative into gameplay where it doesn’t really fit (ie: filler stuff that doesn’t really relate to what’s happening in the world), so what you find in the Narratives category is where you’ll find most of what you might call traditional quests. Because we’re jettisoning filler, we’ll have the resources to craft a really excellent story, with gameplay that reflects the scope of that story. Events are where you’ll find your public quests, though these will be scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs. They’ll also have consequences locally, regionally, and globally, for good (if they’re taken care of successfully) or for ill (if a fail condition is reached). Tasks are hyper-local to individual Nodes, and will be centered around developing the Node that they belong to. If you want to go kill five wolves, this is where you’d do it. You can kill five wolves on your own, and that will count toward Node progression, but if a Task is offered to kill five wolves, then both the Node and your character will get bonus XP when that task is completed. Tasks will be numerous and varied, and will reflect the different gameplay styles that players can engage in within Ashes – there will be crafting, exploration, combat, and gathering oriented tasks (among many others)."

So as you can see questing is going to be very interesting in this game. I'm also going to give you a link to the community folders google docs, that were put together but some very wonderful people on the discord in case there is any other known information you would like to browse through. https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/

I also recommend DeathsProxy's videos if you want to get a more visual feel while you get your information. His "What we know so far" playlist has a wealth of information. Most of the information in his videos will be explained in the community folders, but if you would prefer a visual with your info this is certainly the way to go :) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJvvIDgksu7OluQF-IeSzwh_AlEMe8m7s

Hope that eases your mind a little bit on questing!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the help :) clears up some of the worry I had. I only hope it doesn't turn into a, go on the game every day to go kill 12 bandits and collect 5 handkerchiefs sort of thing. Because I feel like that might be boring even if it changes the world. Although i don't thing it will come to that.
  • Options
    I think the quest system of this game will be really good. I'm excited in seeing how the narrative quests play out, because it seems like they can have a big impact on the game!