Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Crowd control and 'diminishing returns'

I'd like to discuss passive anti-CC mechanics, sometimes referred to as ‘diminishing returns’ (DR).

I feel passive anti-CC mechanics are particularly important for games that plan on having large scale fights. Prolonged loss of control of characters is a frustrating experience and this is exacerbated when more players are involved. Examples of anti-CC mechanics that I thought were well implemented are:

<em>World of Warcraft</em> – CC durations are reduced for each subsequent application of a particular category of CC (to the same target) for 18 seconds. For example, first application of Polymorph is 8s, next is 4s, then 2s, then the target is immune to Polymorph.

<em>Wildstar</em> – Target is immune to the same type of CC for 10 seconds. For example, if you stun a target then they are immune to stuns for 10 seconds.

Both of these systems required a high level of coordination to keep players in CC. It also meant there was a reduction in periods of prolonged loss of control in larger scale battles. Crowd control removal (trinkets and abilities) also played a role in reducing crowd control. I hope Intrepid can implement a passive anti-CC system that mimics the benefits of the examples given without making CC not meaningful.

Some games also implement passive anti-CC mechanics as passive racial or class traits. Whilst this creates variety between races and classes it usually results in players being pigeonholed into picking particular classes at 'high level' play. This is especially problematic to those who value their character's looks and may potentially reduce class diversity.

What are some examples of passive anti-CC mechanics you liked? What do you think about racial passives having passive anti-CC benefits?