Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mercenary / Assassin - Guild

Anyone know if we will have the ability to make a mercenary or assassination styled guild?

I got the idea when hearing about how the pvp functions in this game and I think it would be really cool.

The idea:
You would have like a guild home (no matter what kind of guild you are) and one of the options would be assassination.

This would allow your guild to get kill requests from other players targeting either players from other guilds or scary monsters etc.

The way this would work would be that the mercenaries could be clensed from the "bad standing" earned from killing other players, but only if they had a job killing that player.

Other guilds would then place kill-orders on leaders of other guilds and pay a reward, maybe they can choose what they want from the kill - maybe a special mercenary cache drops from the target that can only be givin to the buyer, maybe this is something specific from the targets inventory or something like that.

If a player was targeted he would get a warning when a assasin is close or something like that, and if the merc is killed the contract is lost and the money used to order the kill would also be lost.

Maybe the mercs can also list as bodyguards to block a kill request on a target for some time

//end of idea :)

Tell me what you think

Comments

• Options
    <blockquote>The way this would work would be that the mercenaries could be clensed from the “bad standing” earned from killing other players, but only if they had a job killing that player.</blockquote>

Something like this i don't personally believe would work. As it would become a thing that everyone and their brothers would join a Mercenary group just to get ridden of their bad standing, However there isn't enough information to determine how Mercenary guilds might be able to perform. There is already a Mercenary guild that is starting up, if you are interest. Look in the Guild Recruitments for "Band Of The Hawk"
  • Options
    The way this would work would be that the mercenaries could be clensed from the “bad standing” earned from killing other players, but only if they had a job killing that player.

That is for a mafia game not a MMO.
    If it was the case for that to be then players woth just leave the game becouse someone that is angry at someone putting a bounty on him, the mercenary kills him and maybe wants to kill someone more and get Bad Standing then just need to go to the guild and he is safe, but everyone els that is not in that guild or that kind of guild can not fight back and kill him becouse they can not get rid of the Bad Standing.

Sorry but that is just a dum idee on kill requests, but if they are more like a cop and get a request if someone have killed to many players or a monster is destroying some house or killing many players. Then it is not a bad idee with Mercenary guilds.

But not assassination that is for every player to make them self be if they want to and die painfully
  • Options
    There is a problem with kill orders, something that on EVE Online has been around for a decade.

What if you pay me to kill someone, I pm the victim and split the bounty? :D

There is no "easy" solution to that.
  • Options
    Gloiler I see what you mean but you could it you could make it so that in order to fight back you just give people in an mercenarie guild a disadvantage. Say everyone is alowed to kill someone from an assassin guild without getting a bad standing. It would make people think twice before joining a mercenarie guild. To make it not to hard no one can see if someone is in a mercenarie guild but when you know someone is you can take revenge without getting a bad standing. Would that maybe solve something or not?

As to the pm and bounty split. That woud indeed be hard. Maybe make it so that the bounty can never get to the victim.
    How i'm not shure cause that sounds really hard indeen lol :p
  • Options
    I don't hbelive this needs a game system to support. It can be a formal agreement between players. With using different assassins and managing the corrupt system you should be able to do all you stated.
  • Options
    While I don't think there should be a guild you could join in order to get rid of your bad reputation. I do think it would be a good idea to have some sort of faction in major cities/towns that once you develop a good relationship with these shady characters can get your bounty or status removed. Though these guys would need to be tough for you to access whether hidden well or deep within a city so you can't just murder someone and run into a tavern right inside the city and have your status removed. That way your actions still matter.
  • Options
    I don't personally think there should be any system that "resets" your Corruption / Reputation apart from a daily decay/actions you can take to reduce the negative system (Defending Caravans, Bounty Hunting.)

Any other system is clear for abuse / griefing.
  • Options
    It's cool to see peoples reactions :)

after I've thought this a little more through I can see the problems too, just thought it would be kinda cool to have a merc lifestyle in an mmo :)

good suggestions all around
  • Options
    Now the common place I can see Mercenary / Assassin guilds is in the role of Caravans and City Sieges.

Guilds that focus and train for ambushing Caravans.

Guilds that study and plan how best to assassinate within a city and have classes/equipment better suited for this gameplay.
    (Specifically in Cities there will be NPC's that when killed contribute to the attacking sides progress, so people would want to defend these NPC's.)
  • Options
    In addition to what I stated, a integral role of Mercenaries could be taking gold / items from faction X to secure their caravans and help their conflicts against xyz.

Case A could be where a Crafting Guild is trying to run the markets / produce but guild X is working against them, trying to control the market.

Case B could be faction X is trying to expand into another node, faction Y is too small to resist this and hires Mercs to support their efforts.
  • Options
    [quote quote=9599]Now the common place I can see Mercenary / Assassin guilds is in the role of Caravans and City Sieges.

Guilds that focus and train for ambushing Caravans.

Guilds that study and plan how best to assassinate within a city and have classes/equipment better suited for this gameplay.
    (Specifically in Cities there will be NPC’s that when killed contribute to the attacking sides progress, so people would want to defend these NPC’s.)[/quote]

This is exactly what I planned on creating a guild/joining a guild to do. I do not know everything about the Caravan or Sieges yet, but I do know that I am PVP minded. I do like all the other aspects of the game as well.

I have never really been into crafting but if I could find a crafting guild to "sell" my services to I will. Maybe I will gather and raid caravans or protect them if the price is right.

I will still be participating indirectly to the Node system via the caravans as well.

My class decision will probably end up being Ranger/Rogue.