Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ingame Newspaper

With a changing world, I would like to have an ingame newspaper.

The content of the newspaper could be generated automatically when a node gets up / downgraded. When a player does something outstanding, for example: first boss kill, fastest dungeon run, a war was fought. I think you get the idea.

It could be generated by player who are looking for guild mates or trying to organize an ingame event and a lot more things I don't have on my mind at the moment.

I played Tribal Wars for a long time and the thing that always was the most fun to me was reading propaganda articles. A player or a guild would write about a war from there perspective trying to demotivate the enemy and boost the morale of their own players to be active in a war.

I think a ingame news feat could help to feel a connection to the server you are playing on as you know what is going on there.

And people like getting mentioned in something. I think it will feel much more rewarding than an achievement register.
I hope my idea came across, maybe you the reader have an idea that can be added to this.
Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    I have played a MMO game that did have a newspaper in it.
    It was not much to read but did tell u some fun stuff u had missed other wise:)
    Try to get this in to the game and maybe have that to tell the players about the changes to the game, updates and things that players maybe want to know
  • Options
    Like asystem global message in the chat window?
    Or something players can choose to read inside the nodes by going to an npc for example?
    I agree with you it will feel more rewarding and maybe point out your next goal that didnt think of it before the article got your attention.
  • Options
    Ok not a bad idea. But I wouldnt waste any development time on things like this right now when they need another 18 months of development time before the game is out. This can always come 2 or 3 years down the road.
  • Options
    I would prefer it to be a paper you can buy for a few coins or maybe get it for free but you have to go to an npc or a news stand maybe? It woul feel more real to me than a global message in chat.
  • Options
    [quote quote=9555]With a changing world, I would like to have an ingame newspaper.

The content of the newspaper could be generated automatically when a node gets up / downgraded. When a player does something outstanding, for example: first boss kill, fastest dungeon run, a war was fought. I think you get the idea.

It could be generated by player who are looking for guild mates or trying to organize an ingame event and a lot more things I don’t have on my mind at the moment.

I played Tribal Wars for a long time and the thing that always was the most fun to me was reading propaganda articles. A player or a guild would write about a war from there perspective trying to demotivate the enemy and boost the morale of their own players to be active in a war.

I think a ingame news feat could help to feel a connection to the server you are playing on as you know what is going on there.

And people like getting mentioned in something. I think it will feel much more rewarding than an achievement register.
    I hope my idea came across, maybe you the reader have an idea that can be added to this.
    Thank you for your time.

[/quote]

I think this is a great idea personally. It will add a lot of immersion to the game which is a big factor when it comes to MMOs and it will make the world feel more like a living breathing thing. Also, you can add updates to said newspaper for upcoming patches (Play it off like it's a message from the gods in the news article lo)
  • Options
    This sounds great, but like Helzbelz sad this should come later down the road maybe as a content patch
  • Options
    Definately a cool idea I think :D

would be nice if it was just like a messageboard in the middle of a town too, npc's could walk around hanging new notes up for players to read with news from other towns and achievements and such.

I would enjoy this I think.
  • Options
    I really like that idea, it could be made in two parts.
    One is automatically generated news, like you said node development or degradation for example.
    The other part could be user made content, guild/crafter advertisment, invites for player made events, a report about a pvp tournament,.....

I think i would really like to see something like that, a nice way to waste time and stay up to date to the development on the server without always needing the forums or having your ears everywhere^^
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input.

[quote quote=9583].. I would prefer it to be a paper you can buy for a few coins or maybe get it for free but you have to go to an npc or a news stand maybe ...
    [/quote]

[quote quote=9600]...
    would be nice if it was just like a messageboard in the middle of a town too, npc’s could walk around hanging new notes up for players to read with news from other towns and achievements and such
    [/quote]

I like both idea's a lot.
    The message board would be a nice meeting point for people. Like the tree in stormwind (WoW) in the old times.
    And a paper you could use in your own home ingame. Thay would be nice aswell.
    Maybe both ;D

[quote quote=9562]Like asystem global message in the chat window?
    Or something players can choose to read inside the nodes by going to an npc for example?
    [/quote]

I never like the global chat. It always feels so ... unpersonal. So something you choose to read, yes.

[quote quote=9612]One is automatically generated news, like you said node development or degradation for example.
    The other part could be user made content, guild/crafter advertisment, invites for player made events, a report about a pvp tournament,…..
    [/quote]
    [quote quote=9585] Also, you can add updates to said newspaper for upcoming patches (Play it off like it’s a message from the gods in the news article lo)
    [/quote]

That would be nice to have, different catergories that would make it a lot more easy.
  • Options
    I'm personally against the player made content / personal writings, maybe they can select pre-selected words and click/drag them to make sentences, but the moment you let the internet loose on it, it'll soon be drama, l33t speech, and profanity.
  • Options
    [quote quote=9640]I’m personally against the player made content / personal writings, maybe they can select pre-selected words and click/drag them to make sentences, but the moment you let the internet loose on it, it’ll soon be drama, l33t speech, and profanity.
    [/quote]
    I think there will be some drama when a community is involved. But there are different way's to handle communication problems. flagging bad language for example or have a character to get to a certain lvl to post something ...

But yes it is a valid and importend point to look at.
  • Options
    Awesome idea, a newspaper has a lot of benefits to the game from my perspective.

Ability to have all players up to date on current events. Fame and infamy of specific players. As well as a record of the servers history also a huge boost to immersion.
  • Options
    @Legian Very thoughtful. While I do like this idea in how it promotes it's Server's Activity, I also think that it may be somewhat " too linear ". But neat :D