Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nodes preview, Looking forward to it

Just watched part 2 of the Nodes System Preview

I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

World changing due to the interactions of the players.. (node growth and related effects)
That is wonderful. I've seen that type of thing attempted before but haven't seen it pulled off yet.
Very excited about it.

Static housing exists, and is game impacting. That is great too. Very excited about it.

I get nervous at the same time though because I've seen this cause a lot of stress, frustration, and disappointment. People outright quit when this system fails or is abused to the point small groups of players seem to reap all the rewards. Hopefully that won't happen here,. You do have instanced housing as well with lesser prestige/value/game impact to help combat this but still.. its both excites me and makes me nervous at the same time.

For example, a game I tried to play but stopped due to so many things falling apart.
It had static housing also. The plots were available as empty outlines right up front when the game started, and were available for "lease". The intention was that these plots wouldn't be actually bought by the players for many months after game start because of their cost. Well.. game bug #1.. some item dup or gold dupe was apparently present at the start. So the idea that the gold wouldn't exist early on? Bam! bye bye to that theory. But no worries, it wont' be that bad.. the few hackers and bad actors involved in the item/gold dupe couldn't buy all the land.. there was a limit to 1 plot per person plus 1 specialized plot (guild house or something). So no worries, there's more land available they can't possibly steal it all. Enter design bug #1. it turned out that if you bought your land then put it up for sale it no longer counted against your property limit. So the bad actors just boght their land, and put it up for sale for some stupid price (1mil gold or something) that no one would ever be able to afford, and tada!... now they can own every land in the game. It was a mess.

In other games I've seen land become very rare to the point like 10's of people will be trying to get the one spot that's left.. and again.. because of bad game design + hacking.. a mere handful of people end up controlling every land transaction in the game. People just give up and quit over that stuff. which isn't helpful to the overall system... less people = bad for an mmo... its a negative feedback loop.

Comments

• Options
    coming back to this.. I guess my point is.. I really like what I see.
    but these advanced features... I am wary because they can easily get away from their intented purpose and get out of control.
  • Options
    I think its hard to understand how this will work in practice.

If I buy a house and the town gets destroyed/downgraded, what happens then? If the town just gets downgraded from metropolis to xxx (the city under it), will the apartment just reduce in size? But if I have an apartment at the end of the town that require the town to be a metropolis to exist, will it just vanish along with all the gold I put in it?

If the the metropolis gets destroyed, will it get completely destroyed or just downgraded one town-size?

I am also worried that some people (mostly people who doesn't got a full-time job) will rule the land and economy. I understand that with the political structure of the game, people will be able to remove some people from power, but as this is economy-based, money will still rule.
  • Options
    Like in every MMO.. More time you spend, more money and progress you have :)
    What Reyzoul said about players who will buy city plots and then will sell it for stupid price, can be true. But still, players need to save their golds for these plots and then will paying taxes. So, they need to decide if it's worth or not...
    All of these buildings can disappear when node will be completly destroyed. Some buildings can disappear if node will be downgrade..

That means there is a risk from the beggining, because siege against T 3 (village) is much easier than siege against T5 (metropolis).
    All of these who will buy plots at low tier of node, they can lose it as fast as they bought it :)

We know nothing about that how all of these features will work in the game. Only time will show us :P
  • Options
    I understand your excitement and your worries. On one hand, the node system is very fresh and innovative. So, it is really exciting to see where they take this. On the other hand, there is potential for people to exploit these system. Thus, it comes down to whether or not the developers have safe guards to prevent exploits from happening. I think that these systems should work though. Especially because it takes a while for people to advance their nodes enough to get static housing so at least people cannot claim everything on day one and it allows several people to have the opportunity to own a static home. So, perhaps static housing will be safe. But I wonder if people will be able to exploit the economic nodes when it comes to leadership because its about who has the most money. So, if someone uses a bot to collect tons of money for them, they may have an unfair advantage. It is the little details like that I am personally afraid of. But, hopefully the developers can prevent these things from happening.
  • Options
    I understand your excitement and your worries. On one hand, the node system is very fresh and innovative. So, it is really exciting to see where they take this. On the other hand, there is potential for people to exploit these system. Thus, it comes down to whether or not the developers have safe guards to prevent exploits from happening. I think that these systems should work though. Especially because it takes a while for people to advance their nodes enough to get static housing so at least people cannot claim everything on day one and it allows several people to have the opportunity to own a static home. So, perhaps static housing will be safe. But I wonder if people will be able to exploit the economic nodes when it comes to leadership because its about who has the most money. So, if someone uses a bot to collect tons of money for them, they may have an unfair advantage. It is the little details like that I am personally afraid of. But, hopefully the developers can prevent these things from happening.
  • Options
    [quote quote=10051]I think its hard to understand how this will work in practice.

I am also worried that some people (mostly people who doesn’t got a full-time job) will rule the land and economy. I understand that with the political structure of the game, people will be able to remove some people from power, but as this is economy-based, money will still rule.

[/quote]
    I am also worried about missing out on all the goodies due to having a full time job, to an extent it makes it impossible or at least extremely hard for some people to experience these things, although I will try my hardest to get one.

I like the idea of being able to rent apartments or even the free holds. Maybe I missed it but are other players able to freely attack free holds seeing as they aren't within the protective walls?
  • Options
    Definitely a point of interest in the whole node system. It seems they did try to combat this with the optional instanced housing which is nice. As far as I can tell though the non-instanced housing seems to be, more so, first come first serve vs. you play 24/7 you can kick someone out of their house and live there. With how nodes work and how nodes, obviously, need to start at a low level to reach higher levels it may be advantageous to just gamble and buy a cheap house on an unleveled node in hopes of people leveling the node and you, eventually, getting that mansion. Free holds seem to be their own beast which is also wonderful. Pretty sure they said you could be creative with these plots of land [talking about free holds] so that kind of incentivizes me to maybe focus on that and make a shop instead of worrying about the mansion. Overall the information from the second video really just answered some existing questions but made 3 more in each of their places.
  • Options
    Has there been any video footage showing the inside of freeholds? Like actually in the houses.
  • Options
    There has been some footage of inside the house of a freehold . I think you can google it cause i cant remember which video it was.
  • Options
    When will they release the part 3 of the explanation for the Node System?
  • Options
    <blockquote>Maybe I missed it but are other players able to freely attack free holds seeing as they aren’t within the protective walls?</blockquote>

@Gheadugah As far as I understand it, your freehold is protected by the node by virtue of being within it's sphere of influence. So as long as the node exists they'll have to go through the node to get to your freehold, but if they <em>do</em> destroy the node then your freehold can be attacked.
  • Options
    RE: Freeholds after a city is destroyed ---
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/145224977 mark 29:30