Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Racial traits and their effect on class

I personally always thought they were pointless in a game like WoW because everyone got the same trait regardless of class, it made it feel like you'd only play this race with this class if you really wanted that little boost.

I would like to see a trait affecting why you might want to pick this specific race/class starting combination, in addition it'd be cool if there was a way the secondary archetype could be affected as an additional boost to the race/class/archetype combo.

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. 

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    You can make race useful by making biomes a thing and races have native biomes.
    All the races originated here and all must therefore have a native habitat where their skills are optimal.
    Think of it like home advantage.

Even food can be biome specific and thus good for natives but bad for non natives.

• Options
    Torn on this one. 

On one hand I love the idea of races mattering.

On the other hand so sick and tired of the days when if you weren't a dwarf healer you just weren't good enough. (yes old enough to remember if you didn't have fear ward for MC you didn't get in ((I.E. Dwarf preist)) )

Problem is while the systems tend to be good, the players never are.
  • Options
    Well, then rejoice. IS has heard you, and they think the same. The times this has been brought up it has been stated that they want racials to matter beyond being cosmetic and to have an impact on your character beyond fluff. It will be interesting to see how far in that direction they go. You create stereotypes and a percentage of the base is going to sjw you endlessly. "Why must my dwarf female be short?" "Why can't my elf 'roid out to look like he lives at Gold's gym?" The almighty gods of balance must be appeased, have one race with the "must have" ability or trait, and the world is going homogeneous pretty fast.
  • Options
    @BlackCat75 I can see that point, I really hope it is balanced and there isn't that type of trait, but something that does give the race/class combo an edge, not game breaking, but an edge.

@UnknownSystemError Yes, balance is key, but I also want something to matter. :)
  • Options
    I do look forward to seeing racial traits in Ashes :)
    I personally don't want to pounce onto speculations yet without actually hearing much depth at the moment.
    I agree with @BlackCat75 - although I love the concept of racial influence I hope that they are balanced in a sense that doesn't determine what Class combinations I should do.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    I personally don't want to pounce onto speculations yet without actually hearing much depth at the moment.
    I agree with @BlackCat75 - although I love the concept of racial influence I hope that they are balanced in a sense that doesn't determine what Class combinations I should do.
    you just want frog people ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Diura said:
    You have good mind reading abilities ^^
  • Options
    Diura said:
    nagash said:
    Diura said:
    haha its the same with me and the dead but frog people would be a nice change for a fantasy game   ;)
  • Options
    Balanced? I just hope they have a practical use! Races should be effected by the region. A region that feels similar to their traditional home should give a stat boost,  (movement speed, mana regen increased) Pets should belong to certain regions. The race which shares this with the pet should have an easier time with taking care of it, making the pet grow a little faster. Races should have weapons that are favored in their homeland, i.e (human with sword/ elves with staff) and should have a small increase in their base weapon stats. (All classes can use all weapons/ be any class yes, but remember that not every race will be suited for it) Beast races should have an easier time finding items, because, well, they're animal hybrids. Human and Elf races shoud be more proficent in alchemy and enchanting because of their reliance on science and research. Dwarfs should be better at blacksmithing, tailoring, fishing because they are a hardy, quite active race. 

The players won't like this of course. Having a character that you create already be defined by the world makes the idea of, "becoming what you want in a new setting, away from the comforts of home and forging a new life and becoming a distinct member in a new world" feel less exciting.

But a little acknowledgement of the hidden talents each race posseses would be nice.
  • Options
    This really is the same as professions having a trait. It always comes down to "best combo" and some people will always have to have the best and will judge others by whether they have conformed to the prevailing opinion. 

There won't be traits on professions (unless I am misremembering) so maybe the traits for race will be solely non-combat benefits. 

I don't find traits on professions or races ever affect my choice of class, race or profession. I just want to have fun with the combination that speaks to me, so a 1% boost here or there is never enough to sway me,  despite what the popular opinion may be. 

I do like the idea proposed here for environmental benefits: better chance to find hidden treasures in a specific environment,  better affinity for finding resource nodes, better relationship with animals of that biome, etc.
  • Options
    I'm right with you there Bajjer.  I almost without fail make my toons human. Guess I am just speciesist.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Diura said:
    nagash said:
    Diura said:
    haha its the same with me and the dead but frog people would be a nice change for a fantasy game   ;)
    I can't believe you two aren't the bigger picture (or maybe don't want to go there perhaps?)  Well I'm not afraid!

BEHOLD! The Undead Frog!