Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Rubber bands, Rubber bands Everywhere??

We have all done it. Running straight across a zone because we know the mobs will take 10 steps and reset. But what if some didn't? What if most would follow you across the zone? What if some would even follow you to the next zone?
Early MMO's had this on some mobs, where they would chase you till some one stopped twitching you or them. I think it adds to meaningful content and danger to the world so you have to be more aware of your surroundings.
I like the challenge. Playing Conan Exiles the other day on purist mode(you die you run back naked to try to get your stuff back.) I found a creature. Big and ugly. Was watching from what I thought was a safe distance when it saw me. I tried to engage it. 1 hit took half my health so I ran. It chased me a 1/3 of the way across the map before I got away. Heart pumping peanut butter trying to not get killed.
Sure Ashes won't be this extreme but what if the mobs didn't give after a few steps? What if they instead chose to chase us down just for the fun of it?

Comments

• I would love this for certain types of creatures. Some should leash due to not wanting to move out of their territory, wanting to protect their homes, pack, etc.

But I would really like if others would chase until you can either put enough distance between you and them or you turn and fight.

Interesting if we could have a random chance upon spawn for a creature to be one that leashes or chases. Then you have added that uncertainty and danger back into the world. We would have to remain on our toes :)
  • I actually really like this idea and would be something cool to implement, however I've seen before and I'm gonna use WoW here.. people kite a world boss to a major city and drop aggro only to have it wreak havoc on the city. 

While every once in a while i don't see that situation being to disturbing to the quality of the game but imagine if that's done during a siege, or Everytime the boss moves away. Literally one person could disable an entire hub.

It could be an amazing mechanic but the personality some people display while online would make it a nightmare unless proper precautions were taken. 
  • Animals that return to their "zone" are realistic, most only attack to defend themselves. But a Bandit or Raider NPC should chase you for some time. They're obviously after your coin purse.
  • Interesting idea! I like it :)
  • Especially when the mobs are controlled by players...
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I don't like it.  In BDO a few times I had a bandit that chased me all over the map which included a couple of zone changes (and back again).  I finally found something that worked but it took thinking outside the box to get rid them.  It sounds more fun that it actually is IMO.
  • How about when u engage the mob a special "stamina" bar activates. As you run away from mob you get more and more tired, and more slow, and you can not run forever.

By the time time stamina bar runs out, you either found some high ground where mob can't reach, or you are forced to take your chances and fight it.

Would be interesting in PvX situations as well. As long as both players engaged in PvPvX get those stamina bars when either of them engages a mob.
  • I actually really like this idea and would be something cool to implement, however I've seen before and I'm gonna use WoW here.. people kite a world boss to a major city and drop aggro only to have it wreak havoc on the city. 

While every once in a while i don't see that situation being to disturbing to the quality of the game but imagine if that's done during a siege, or Everytime the boss moves away. Literally one person could disable an entire hub.

It could be an amazing mechanic but the personality some people display while online would make it a nightmare unless proper precautions were taken. 
    Ah, good times. Seeing a huge mob in a city was actually amazing and a shoutout to the commitment it took to pull it off - takes a while to kite a dinosaur from UnGoro to Orgrimmar.

I also remember the Ritual of Doom, summoning a Doomguard for the first time and watching it rampage through Orgrimmar, with 90% of people never having seen one and not quite understanding what was going on. Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you.

These kinds of things give people stories, something to remember. They happened pretty rarely.
  • Rubberbanding made me so mad. Especially in racing games. You get close and poof, theyre gone.

• Make it so!  :)

• Bajjer said:
    I would love this for certain types of creatures. Some should leash due to not wanting to move out of their territory, wanting to protect their homes, pack, etc.

But I would really like if others would chase until you can either put enough distance between you and them or you turn and fight.

Interesting if we could have a random chance upon spawn for a creature to be one that leashes or chases. Then you have added that uncertainty and danger back into the world. We would have to remain on our toes :)
    This is a great idea!
  • Agreed with Bajjer.  Would love to see a random 1/3 always changing from day to day on those that chase and those that don't.
  • I think a mix like what was suggested is the best way to go. Would add that sense of the unknown. I can imagine you just keep riding and then look back and notice some huge bear still lumbering after you and think "what the hell!".

I'd enjoy that a lot, not knowing what to expect.