Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Slavery!!

So. I’ve briefly read a discussion on how the pk’n will be influenced by a “Corruption System.” Some of the ideas mentioned were: a prison system with a bounty system mechanic, the potential to increase the likelihood of dropping more gear and/or resources when being ‘nefarious’, a possible reduction in your characters fighting effectiveness, etc.
What about a Slavery system as well with that said prison system/Bounty Hunter mechanic where players could buy said slaves? And maybe, depending on the lvling mechanics, say slaves earn their ‘owners’ a portion of all exp they earn for a certain amount of time — depending on the severity of their crimes and how much the owners spent on said players. Or have them collect you a certain amount of a specific type of resource to ‘gain’ their freedom. Maybe even set up a gladiatorial arena like in Ancient Rome where players could have huge free for allswith their slaves and place bets on their slaves winning. Maybe even in that type of situation allow the slaves also benefit being an arena slave by earning a portion of income generated through this venue, maybe give them a cool gladiator title or gear, etc.
Any thoughts? Friendly and not so friendly comments are welcomed. And has anyone heard of a mechanic like this? I’ve been outta the mmorpg scene for about 10 years but Im looking to get back into it and it seems a lot of different concepts have been developed and implamented in MMORPGs since my days of playing Asheron’s Call and WoW when Lich King just dropped.
Can’t wait to get my little gang of friends to one of your servers and get our Jesse James on!

P.s. Second time posting this but I really think this mechanic might add more to the immersion element of the game. Plus this thread feels more appropriate for something like this.

Comments

• So if I get it correctly, when you are corrupted you are seen as a slave? Or are the slaves npc's that you can buy?
  • I think he's saying that if you become RED and maybe stay RED for a certain amount of time and maybe get caught by some kind of authorities in a major city you get sent to prison for some time but have a chance to become a slave to work off said time more quickly. And with the Rome type of arena thing he mentioned could even become a known gladiator who can even use his fighting skills in the arena to make some money while being a "slave". This sounds like an interesting idea but would need an extreme amount of work and thought to implement and don't think AoC will have anything like this.
  • Well the amount of time to programme it is 1 problem and the second is that if I read it correctly that there isn't a way that you can suddenly quit being a slave? Isn't the punishment then way to high for just being a corrupted player? Because I wouldn't want to play a game where I'm stuck as a slave.
  • It could just be a set amount of fights depending on the severity of your crime. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything but there should be punishments for pking. Prison system is just fine. It worked fine in AA. Instead of waiting for 24 hours i bet people would be willing to fight a few fights and get out of jail too so it'd be even better than AA. Your temporary owner could give you some errands as well it's all about imagination. I think it's a cool system.
  • To me this is a much bigger question and problem than many think.
    That RPG elements means people must be able to play a role.
    If you limit the roles people can play (because they are considered evil and undesirable)....can you really call yourself an RPG.

The modern era of MMORPGs is full of murderers and thiefs. Those people that want to ambush you.
    Clearly many people have an intrinsic need to play out their dark side where it is safe to do so.

So should the game mechanics restrict and control.....or should the players be given the tools to do that regulation themselves?
    I worry the only role you will be able to play at one point... will be a saint or paladin.
    It is indeed a deep conundrum for game makers to ponder.
    Are you killing the RPG concept ?
    How can you be a good guy if no bad guys exist ?
  • [quote quote=10421]I think he’s saying that if you become RED and maybe stay RED for a certain amount of time and maybe get caught by some kind of authorities in a major city you get sent to prison for some time but have a chance to become a slave to work off said time more quickly. And with the Rome type of arena thing he mentioned could even become a known gladiator who can even use his fighting skills in the arena to make some money while being a “slave”. This sounds like an interesting idea but would need an extreme amount of work and thought to implement and don’t think AoC will have anything like this.

[/quote]

Aww I was hoping we could enslave people like in Conan Exiles. But I can see this being a thematic punishment for Militarist Nodes!

Scientists could like experiment on you while chattel slavery could be for economic and divine nodes.
  • Interesting idea, but maybe instead of slavery call it mandatory community service. The term slavery will no doubt draw fire and create it's own controversy.
    There could be 3 option;
    1) Do your whole time. Fairly straightforward, a good option if you're going AFK .

2) Attempt to escape (getting caught would increase your sentence by 50%, but successful escape would reduce your wanted status by 90% of your prison sentence total time. ie, if you had a 100 minute incarceration time, successful escape would reduce your time being flagged as a criminal after escape to 10 minutes) Make the escape mechanic a dynamic puzzle, 12 or so types all with different solutions every time the player attempts, as to not be 'googleable'.

3)Community service -you would need to do various gathering quests in a certain amount of time, the materials would go to building the city in the node you're incarceration occurs in.
    Failure to gather said material in the time allotted would summon a warden who would bring you back to prison.
    Successful completion of a community service quest would reduce your over all sentence by 25% .

You would be unable to attack other players while on these quest, and they could not attack you.

You would be offered a total of 3 community service quest reducing your overall sentence by 75%.

You would get no exp of any kind, and if there are any labor points in the game it would consume them at
    a higher rate (maybe .25%) and would be able to run a labor point deficit ( just because you may be out
    of labor points at the time of your incarceration, you could still be allowed to run a labor deficit to gain
    the sentence reduction of community service.)
    I sincerely hope there isn't a labor point system planned for the game it unnaturally limits the player experience and potentially monetizes the game in a ways most western players wont tolerate from a game they consider to be their "main' game.
  • [quote quote=10610]

but there should be punishments for pking.

[/quote]
    In my opinion triple death penalty, lower stats & a chance of losing your items is already a big enough punishment(Don't mind adding an additional small punishment like small in game payments (such as taxes or whatever)). ^^
  • [quote quote=11038]

Aww I was hoping we could enslave people like in Conan Exiles.

[/quote]
    You want to be my slave? still in need of one & could always use one ^^
  • I like that you thought of different types of Slavery treatment based on node type. :)