Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Greifing control

Im curious as to what we could do to combat greifing in the game? Big instances that come to mind are the famous Corrupted Blood and Living Bomb occurrences in WoW. Others include people  spawn locking or body camping. Things like camping caravans just to farm kills seems like it would be an issue as well. If a guild is fighting a world boss and a player or players try to train adds i to the fight to wipe them so they can take the kill. 

Corpse camping could be solved by giving like a 15 or 30sec invulnerable buff to the player after so many deaths(druing which you couldn't deal or receive sny damage) just long enough to be able to gate home or get out of the area.

For the Caravans i think something along the lines of it breaking down or "self destructing" if all the guards are killed? That way people are not constantly trying to save something that is being used as a kill farm?

For the world bosses maybe something along the lines as instance zones spawning around the world boss as the fight starts? It doesn't have to be anything serious...just like all the surrounding monsters despawn for the duration of the fight or something similar?

Comments

• Options
    There is a corruption system that should prevent people from griefing.

Other than that, I hope the terrain itself won't attract griefers to block certain roads (aka farm carts in dewstone plain in ArcheAge).

• Options
    Only thing i read there that actually sounds like griefing is corpse camping which at the very least is handled by the corruption system and there will probably be other aspects of the game that make corpse camping hard.

If someone wants to camp one caravan route then let them. If someone goes down that route without first scouting it then they almost deserve to die.

We are supposed to fight over world bosses and i don't see why training mobs onto a a group trying to fight one is much different then attacking them yourself.  
  • Options
    There is a mechanic in the corruption system that has people respawning at random points not set in the nodes zoi to stop corpse camping.

Caravan routes have been stated to be able to be a mix of random times, chosen and random routes to stop camping also.

While world bosses will be open world not instanced, the griefing thing about how mobs leash is also being looked at.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
  • Options
    Bloodmero said:
    Corpse camping could be solved by giving like a 15 or 30sec invulnerable buff to the player after so many deaths(druing which you couldn't deal or receive sny damage) just long enough to be able to gate home or get out of the area.
    Corpse camping is not possible.
    a) They've said that running to get corpse will prob not be a thing
    b) They've mentioned spawning at random graveyard, meaning they won't know where you respawn
    Bloodmero said:
    For the Caravans i think something along the lines of it breaking down or "self destructing" if all the guards are killed? That way people are not constantly trying to save something that is being used as a kill farm?

For the world bosses maybe something along the lines as instance zones spawning around the world boss as the fight starts? It doesn't have to be anything serious...just like all the surrounding monsters despawn for the duration of the fight or something similar?

Why would people let Caravans live when Carvans, upon destruction, drop tickets one can trade in at Nodes to get resourcess that the caravan was transporting.
    Bloodmero said:
    Why should they despawn? That's not really griefing, that's competing and/or ruining it for the others so they don't manage to kill the boss. Part of strategy and competition imo
  • Options
    The only griefing I see in any of your lists is the corpse camping which corruption deals with rather nicely.  Just unflag and he should stop.  Camping choke points for caravans isn't griefing its just good tactics.  If you know you are going through a choke point you need to bring more guards, and most likely send scouts ahead to secure the pass before your caravan gets there.  With world bosses you need to bring more than just your raid team if you are serious about killing them, you will need what my old guild called a screening team.  They help with the raid boss by protecting the primary team from trains and pvp.  They secure the permiter so the raid team can do their job, and are rewarded by the guild in a different way than raid loot, we would cycle people in the main rad team into the screen team every attempt so everyone got a shot.
  • Options
    I rather have griefing than **** censorship.
  • Options
    There is a problem with it tho imo. Like when you dont fight back when you are biegn grieved, the death panalty is bigger... Wich is wierd. To encourage pvp.
  • Options
    This game has a High-emphasis on World-PvP
    -it's probably not for you if you're a little bitch!

(Risk vs Reward)
    Anyone can kill you at anytime, but How & When will make a difference.

[Player Status]
    Non-Combatant
    Combatant
    Corrupted

If a Non-Combatant attacks a Corrupted
    (They will remain a Non-Combatant)

If a Non-Combatant attacks a Non-Combatant or Combatant
    (They will become a Combatant)

If a Non-Combatant enters a PvP Zone they will become a Combatant

If you become a Combatant you will remain a Combatant for a Period of Time
    (You will only return Non-combatant by remaining out of conflict with other players)
    *Note you must also be clear of PvP Zones to return to Non-combatant (Obviously)

If a Combatant attacks a Non-Combatant they will gain +Corruption
    (If a Combatant continues attacking Non-Combatants they will become Corrupted)

Penalties of Death!

If a Non-combatant is killed by another Player they will loss
    (Xp, Durability, and Carrier-goods)

If a Combatant is killed by a Non-Combatant they will loss
    an Increased amount of (Xp, Durability, and Carrier-goods)

If a Combatant is Killed by another Combatant they will loss
    Xp, Durability, and Carrier-goods

If a Combatant is Killed by a Corrupt player they will loss
    Xp, Durability, and Carrier-goods

If a Corrupt player is Killed by any-other player they will loss
    an Increased amount of (Xp, Durability, and Carrier-goods)|
    'Including ANY RANDOM ITEM  from their Inventory or Armor

*Currently the only way to become Non-Corrupted as far as I know is DEATH!
    (But they are looking into alternatives)

These Penalties & Attributes are expected to Scale

These Penalties & Attributes are Subject to Change!

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I dislike the people who grief/corpse camp/zone camp/bind camp etc and the real way of solving it is asking your guild/mates to help out and you could turn the steak.

Coming from the EverQuest background where all of these types of griefing was allowed it just brought the guilds closer together and made the World PvP alot more fun but it all depends on your guild/group. 

Giving the people who grief some kind of negative reputation would be one way of penelitise the behavior. And the negative reputation would actually mean something not just having NPC in town telling you they dislike you but still want to sell/buy stuff from you. 

Making people invincible or some kind of instance protection would cause more problems. If a guild/group of people are fighting a world boss and another group would like to overthrow the fight and take the kill they could basically Zerg the other group without having to care about the consequences, once they die they just pick stuff up and get right back to the fight. 
  • Options
    Expect me to still make attempts at griefing :trollface:
  • Options
    :D
  • Options
    Yup, sadly this game has a lot of pvp focus, but that's just part of the game and PvErs like myself will just have to cope :smiley:

Some good responses above that explain how the game will deal with things... some less constructive comments...
  • Options
    I think that games as recent as Albion Online have shown that vigilante justice has begun to overcome much of the "griefing" that was seen back in the day.  

Terms like PKK's have been around since the days of Lineage, and now we even see Bluebie's banding together to zerg down gank squads.

If they drive the focus into open world, griefing becomes pretty limited.  Also it forces socialization between players. 

The only contradictory thing I will say to your OP is that "instancing" world bosses...counters the whole point of having world bosses.
  • Options
    Tayosis said:
    The only contradictory thing I will say to your OP is that "instancing" world bosses...counters the whole point of having world bosses.
    That is not a world boss technically, that's a raid oO
  • Options
    Ziltch said:
    Tayosis said:
    That is not a world boss technically, that's a raid oO
    Exactly
  • Options
    Tayosis said:
    I think that games as recent as Albion Online have shown that vigilante justice has begun to overcome much of the "griefing" that was seen back in the day.  

Terms like PKK's have been around since the days of Lineage, and now we even see Bluebie's banding together to zerg down gank squads.

If they drive the focus into open world, griefing becomes pretty limited.  Also it forces socialization between players. 

PKKers were around even before Lineage.  I was so impressed by a couple that I learned to become one in Diablo.  I never pursued a PKer unless they came into ruin a young kid or lower level person's game.  That's when I would get my high level character out and go after them. 

I thought it quite interesting & funny how those that wanted to ruin others fun, cried like babies and threatened the people who went after them.   
  • Options
    Ya, you saw them in Ultima and as well, but in Lineage you started to see full guilds of them starting to form for that purpose alone.