Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cash from monsters

So heres an idea i had. What if the money that monsters drop upon death goes down every time you lv up to a point where they stop dropping money at all. This would add value to money and the economy where at a certain point the only way to make money is through quests, trading, tasks or thievery. Of course the downside is that it could become fairly easy for the rich to start dictating the pace and direction the world moves in but hey thats what sieges and robbery is for  :p

Comments

• Options
    People at the higher level need all the money they can get. Rare items, high grade equipment, and consumables will be expensive so I would have the opposite opinion.    
  • Options
    People at the higher level need all the money they can get. Rare items, high grade equipment, and consumables will be expensive so I would have the opposite opinion.    

I think it would add value to rare or high grade items. Using your brain to earn money or hard work to gather and trade would make obtaining the item you want feel all the more satisfying. It could be a simple method to making end game material valuable and at the same time make it challenging to obtain while not making the process too grindy or repetitive. After all not getting money from monsters forces a player to be creative and find many new ways to earn some coin.
  • Options
    Would that make monsters useless then?
  • Options
    Would that make monsters useless then?
    Not at all. They still give exp and drop items or materials which you can sell or create items with and then sell those items for money. Eg. if a boar stops giving money it will still provide you with exp. Its tusks can be used to create weapons or items. Its skin can be used as leather to make clothing and somewhere out in the world an innkeeper or a tavern owner is willing to pay you for boar meat. This is how i see my proposal playing out. Feel free to point out any flaws it might have.  :)
  • Options
    Interesting idea, but no modern MMO has monster money drops as the main source of income. It's just barely a supplement.
  • Options
    I don't think beasts should drop coin.  Only intelligent humanoids that would reasonably use it in their society.

I hope all drops are tied to the mob that drops them and make some sense.  No swords dropping off wolves, no armor dropping off bears.
  • Options
    Echo @Crymoar sentiment 100%. A little realism in this regard would be greatly welcomed.

I don't think that everytime you kill something you should get loot either. Have a potential loot table but on that loot table there is an option for NOTHING.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Crymoar said:
    I don't think beasts should drop coin.  Only intelligent humanoids that would reasonably use it in their society.

I hope all drops are tied to the mob that drops them and make some sense.  No swords dropping off wolves, no armor dropping off bears.
    Hopefully no related weapon drops either like wolves dropping bone tooth daggers or stuff either. If they will drop it should be the them dropping a tooth and the player can then either sell the tooth or use wood and tooth or something to make said bone tooth dagger. 

Also @nabler i agree. I think there should be around a 20-30% chance that there are no drops. Of course you can make this portion realistic too as in killing a boar will always 100% drop boar meat at least cuz where else would the meat of a dead boar disappear to? Then again maybe a mage was fighting the boar and turned it into ash? 
  • Options
    Lets just get rid of the coins all together because I hate picking stuff up... although I do like picking up juicy rare drops :mrgreen:

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    For creature drops I wouldn't mind actually having this behave similar to Monster hunter, where you can carve up the creature for bits. 

Then have a crafting/harvesting class that's defined as "Hunter" and the pieces that come off of creatures are either higher quality, more of them, or a larger variety. 

This would allow there to be a dynamic economy between players for the components required for crafting. As these can be anything from bone and sinew, to teeth and fur which can be components in any myriad of other crafting skills.
  • Options
    If "Goblins" are in the game, I'd see them dropping a few coppers or whatever the low end currency will be. Most money should be made from selling parts of the monsters we kill, or from killing them in general via a quest or such.
  • Options
    I think instead of money we should get monster materials like skin, fur, claws, fangs etc. and while they can be used to make items based on the levels of monsters they are harvested from, we can also sell them at shops for regular income.
  • Options
    So heres an idea i had. What if the money that monsters drop upon death goes down every time you lv up to a point where they stop dropping money at all. This would add value to money and the economy where at a certain point the only way to make money is through quests, trading, tasks or thievery. Of course the downside is that it could become fairly easy for the rich to start dictating the pace and direction the world moves in but hey thats what sieges and robbery is for  :p
    They could make alts and farm low levels for money, it's not a good system. Instead why not just have mobs drop loot instead of cash, and they can sell the items for cash instead.