Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Concept Art] Bow ~

Hey Ashlings!
Steven posted this beaut- in the ashes discussion channel on discord!
What ya'll think?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    I... *sigh* I feel like this is turning into GW2 with wings EVERYWHERE...

Also just leaving this here as well.
  • For fantasy it's beautiful and I would use it.  For real life it's a piece of art but not utility.
    edited May 2018
    Ok, I'm really am worried. first, we have the lion and now we have this bow,   both of them looks eerily similar to what the elves from Warhammer use. I hope it just me being paranoid but its hard to shake it off

• I like it but honestly I hope there will also be some practical looking weapons, given that this is a fantasy game it's not that weird to see this kind of stuff though.
  • My guess is that it's a higher tier version. Makes sense that they'd want the good stuff to have some flashier aesthetics. Let's also not forget that the team has claimed to be big rpg fans, so it was inevitable to see some similarities or at least inspiration from other well-known IP's. As far as the artwork goes, I've been impressed with everything IS has done so far. So I can overlook form over function since I wouldn't actually be using the bow like a bow in game.
  • Magic folks.  It's the answer to Bikini Armor, Winged Bows, and 200 pound shields.
  • The problem being how do you make a weapon look real without making it look super basic. You can have a regular bow but then it just looks like a low tier weapon and people dont appreciate it as much. For high fantasy, i'm perfectly fine with this stuff. just not the bikini armor (not that i don't mind eye candy but seriously bikini armor is just a no  go).
  • Strangely enough, when I hear people 'worried' over stuff like this, it makes me think you've all played too many video games.

With all the games out there, it's very difficult to create weapons and armor that are truly unique.  I think this looks fantastic!

From a practical stand-point, I wouldn't want to put the thing down anywhere... I'd feel like I'd either break off some of the feather tips or completely maim myself if I tried to pick it up by anywhere except the handle.
    edited May 2018
    Magic folks.  It's magic.  Those soft Gold Angle Feathers on your Swords guards are magic and it makes it much better.  I have 0 problem with this kind of thing in a high Fantasy game.  Bikini Armor is fine imo, the only thing I would have an issue with is taking it up North to the polar bears, or going swimming in a Tank-Suit.

I'm not rolling a she-elf so I can stare at 9 layers of metal and leather for 900+ hours or swing around a +10 staff that looks like a stick I found on the beach.
  • Whats wrong with some fancy flamboyant weapons and glitzy skills? Lol i love all that stuff and thought elder scrolls was not a vibrant place, very dark, and droll. 

This is a fantasy world full of magic and wonder, one would expect to see some cool vibrant magic infused weapons.

NOW enough feathers themed stuff, bring on the Pixie themed paraphernalia (cosmetics).
  • Feathers obtained from a Phoenix creature might be imbued with magical power, hence why they are used to enhance weapons. Well, that is just pure speculation until we know some lore... :lol:
  • I'm really liking the design direction. 
  • Absolutely gorgeous, can't wait to see more! 
  • Yess embrace the FANCY!!
  • i want to say ill own this asap, but my luck it'll be some really hard bow to craft with mats so crazy to get that my little waffle cups will weep
  • Im glad that there are some people who like the art style as much as i do. Just scared that maybe some of the community who really dislike the amerime style are more vocal about it which ripples to the devs. 

Imo
  • High Fantasy = High Fancy.  Low Fantasy = Low Fancy (more realism).

Now Intrepid only has to be strong and not bend over bow down to the loud squeaky wheels who say my Jungle Warrior-ess can't have bikini Armour.
  • High Fantasy = High Fancy.  Low Fantasy = Low Fancy (more realism).

Now Intrepid only has to be strong and not bend over bow down to the loud squeaky wheels who say my Jungle Warrior-ess can't have bikini Armour.
    by the looks of it IS is going down the road of LOTR or WF so it's high fantasy with a touch of reality
  • Realism side != everything looks like it was from our medieval era. 
    edited May 2018
    Realism side != everything looks like it was from our medieval era. 
    what the slann said
  • I prefer the more realistic look as well but this isn't too bad.  Gods knows we've all seen some horrendously flamboyant armor and weapons in certain other games.  If this is as flamboyant as it gets I'll be happy.
    edited July 2018
    i still think* the Concept Bow Designs are too stocky . More trim/ slender maybe ?
  • As pure art it is gorgeous.

As a weapon it is impracticable to the point of uselessness (handle? where one normally grips a bow? wut?)

Something to put over a mantle but not in your weapon case.