Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Better Wings for Roleplaying

Hey Ashlings,

I had the idea to sync gliding mounts with skins that have wings. If you have a gliding mount and a proper skin you can summon the mount but it wont be visible and it will appear as if the player is gliding. You won't gain any extra abilities. 2 health bars could be used to show other players they can attack you or your wings(mount). When you are not 'mounted' the wings could be closer to your body but when 'mounted' they could be spread. If you don't have a skin and a proper mount for gliding you won't be able to use the ability to glide. If your mount is not summoned or not with you you can't use the glide ability. This could support roleplayers that wouldn't want to use a skin with wings unless functional (only with mount).

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    No idea if they plan to add further racials (angelic) down the line with wings, but until then this is going to be the closest you get to playing Tinkerbell. Riding an owl-faced gorilla with moth wings and a lemur tail.

tykQlyYjpg
  • It might just be me but if there was a function where a mount can glide/fly only when it has a skin that gives it wings then that would be p2w in a way.
  • They have been very clear that the skin will not add functionality. Unless the mount could glide before you slapped the skin on it, it won't gain that ability after. 
    edited May 2018
    Tey said:

This could support roleplayers that wouldn't want to use a skin with wings unless functional (only with mount).
    Rule # 1 of roleplaying - role play within the lore of the world you are in.

If you are going to use RP as a vehicle to ask for this, I can use RP as a vehicle to ask for laser swords and mind tricks to I can RP as a Jedi.
  • @Noaani The difference is, there are already winged characters. Maybe not race related ,which we don't know for sure but still. There is "evidence" that there >>might<< be a way for a person in Verra to enhance themselves with wings unlike your example with the jedi.
    We don't know if it is lore or not, but if it is this functionality would fit. I actually like this, I can get more behind the idea that you somehow use a creature that would not be able to support your weight and take it's wings to support your gliding capabilities for the convienience of gliding than have a creature that can barely keep you afloat. <shrug> I guess it won't be a thing, but I like the idea.

• Well I have the necrotic skin does that mean I can just float around like a lich ^^
  • The game doesn't seem vertical enough to get any real use out of this. Honestly, I'm not interested in gliding/flying. I'd rather keep it an obscenely rare thing.
    edited May 2018
    Grisu said:
    @Noaani The difference is, there are already winged characters. 
    No, there are crazy people that strap function-less wings to their back.

Right now, that is all it is. Function-less wings that people can chose to use as an appearance option.
    edited May 2018
    Yeah your opinion has not much impact on the lore tho, it's the same with stuffertoon. That one is confirmed lore, no matter how much people cry "immersion breaking" and "outside the lore" cause they don't like it <shrug> suite yourself. It exists in the game so you should consider it lore first even if you don't like it in your version of the lore.
    Just cause the gameplay dictates that they can't fly since it shouldn't be possible to fly/glide this early in the game doesn't mean that in the lore they can't.
  • Grisu said:
    Yeah your opinion has not much impact on the lore tho, it's the same with stuffertoon. That one is confirmed lore, no matter how much people cry "immersion breaking" and "outside the lore" cause they don't like it <shrug> suite yourself. It exists in the game so you should consider it lore first even if you don't like it in your version of the lore.
    Just cause the gameplay dictates that they can't fly since it shouldn't be possible to fly/glide this early in the game doesn't mean that in the lore they can't.
    In terms of lore, a player with that racial skin on literally is just someone with a costume.

They still have the same as before, they just look different. That is what a costume does.
  • Gameplay mechanic does not equal lore, but w/e like I said suite yourself with your version of the "lore".
  • Well to be frank we know almost nothing about the lore so far, so there may be NPC races that can glide/float. From a role-playing point of view, you could play as an NPC race and "float."

The best part of role-playing is as long as it fits the lore in some way you can do what you want. I mean I roleplay as a lich even if there are no undead classes in the game, but I have the necrotic costume and the necromancer class so in lore I can play as a lich without breaking the immersion of the world.
  • Grisu said:
    Gameplay mechanic does not equal lore, but w/e like I said suite yourself with your version of the "lore".
    This isn't a presidential campaign, there is no "your lore" or "my lore", or "your truth" and "my truth", there is only the games lore.

Until we know the games lore, we have to assume we don't know the games lore. The presence or absence of a given cosmetic character skin has no bearing on the games lore, until we have been given the actual lore about said skin.

@nagash If the games lore allows you to become a lich, then cool.

If it doesn't and you pretend to be one, that simply means you are [insert your race here] pretending to be a lich.

You may have a costume, you may have people that go along with your assertion that you are a lich, but if you are not *actually* a lich, then you are not actually a lich. 

It seems to me that it would be the Verra equivalent of Otherkin.

That doesn't break the immersion of the world though, in fact it kind of enhances it - as every world needs it's verge personalities.
    edited May 2018
    So, we are capable of animating life into stuffed animals to carry us around on command but we are not capable of enhancing a winglike structure to help us glide a short distance? Cause that is proven on a daily Verra world basis.
    I do not always need direct proof for everything if I can draw relative power structures.

Just reminds me of the typical lore discussion, "hey those gnomes have a flying city powered by huge magical crystals and Golems tall has 3 story houses as well as small versions proven to exist through lore stories, but anything more than a flintlock gun is impossible cause there has not been a mention anywhere so those energy guns can't exist."  lel
    I started this just to show the posibility that it might be possible, but talking with someone who is so set in his narrow ways leads nowhere so w/e.
    It's funny since you don't have any evidence for it to be just a costume either, but they must be cause it takes you out of your comfort zone. Right?

How do you explain the SKIN Stuffertoon in your mind? (edit for clarification) game play =/= lore just cause it's called skin for game play reasons doesn't make it a costume for the lore. Stuffertoon is proof for that very simple and logical practice.
  • Grisu said:

It's funny since you don't have any evidence for it to be just a costume either, 
    My evidence is that it is in the "cosmetics" store, not the "change your race" store, nor the "pay for added functionality" store.

Winged races have the exact same criteria applied to them as I applied to liches, as far as I am concerned.

If the games lore allows you to become a winged race, then cool.

If it doesn't and you pretend to be one, that simply means you are [insert your race here] pretending to be a member of a winged race.

You may have a costume, you may have people that go along with your assertion that you are a member of a winged race, but if you are not *actually* a member of a winged race, then you are not actually a member of a winged race.

Ease of RP is not, has never been and hopefully never will be a valid reason to ask for added functionality to a costume.

As for Stufferton, I don't explain it - Steven did.
  • No idea if they plan to add further racials (angelic) down the line with wings, but until then this is going to be the closest you get to playing Tinkerbell. Riding an owl-faced gorilla with moth wings and a lemur tail.

tykQlyYjpg
    Omg.. i rather walk than glide with this one.
  • Noaani said:

My evidence is that it is in the "cosmetics" store, not the "change your race" store, nor the "pay for added functionality" store.
    So stuffertoon is not acquired through the cosmetic store?  He is acquired through the cosmetic store btw and not the "change your mount race/ very base existence of what the mount is". Also he is exempt from "outside the lore"-loop because reasons even tho he is in the cosmetic store? +1 logical conclusion

Are you telling me that basic horses, Moonstrider mules, flapping gorilla moths, cats,falcons, phoenixes, Raptors, Griffons, in short everything you can get through the cosmetic store does not exist either in the lore, because you can get reskins in the cosmetic store for mounts and pets? Because boy let me tell you as we heard a lot of times, re-colours will be a major functionality of the cosmetic store. Have you seen the monthly cosmetics at all?
    Guess you better start choosing what aspect doesn't exist for you because your take on the world looks really really empty, but then again following your logic you shouldn't choose. Neither the colours of the reskin nor the armors/creatures itself exists in the first place since it's present in the cosmetic store and not the "get your paint on armor/creature store". Guess we really just run around naked and fight with hands and feet enhanced through magic, maybe.
    +1 typical "I don't want this in particular so I just put my hands on ears and eyes to the possibility of it's existence". Logic is failed on you and vaccines cause autism.
  • Grisu said:
    Are you telling me that basic horses, Moonstrider mules, flapping gorilla moths, cats,falcons, phoenixes, Raptors, Griffons, in short everything you can get through the cosmetic store does not exist either in the lore
    What I am saying is that if it exists in the game, then it exists in the game. If it exists in the store, then it exists as a costume in the game.

Putting the Stufferton skin on a mount is no different to putting a skin on your character. It is the in game equivalent of someone in the real world putting a horn on a horses head and telling everyone how cool the are because they have a unicorn.

We don't know if flapping gorilla moths, cats,falcons, phoenixes, Raptors or Griffons exist in the game as anything other than costumes, and until we get in to the game properly, we won't know.

However, none of that has much at all to do with the OP of this thread asking for added functionality to a store item.