Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will there be ghost town?

Will there be ghost towns? By ghost towns I mean towns inhabited by ghosts like this.

Comments

• Towns, probably not. Ruins, encampments, grottos.....probably. Remember our time line of abandonment is around the 10k year mark. So anything that would qualify as a town would have decayed to ruins long before. I guess they could add something where if a node was nuked out of existence by an event that the mobs in the immediate area were ghosts.
  • @nagash?????????   :D
  • I wonder if Nagash would be offended with you calling skeletons "ghosts"...
  • Loyheta said:
    I wonder if Nagash would be offended with you calling skeletons "ghosts"...
    Going by the picture of skeletons...i think he will be okay.   :)
  • I hope so ^^
  • I stole the picture and got the idea from @nagash :)
    What if there are haunted ruins and if you want to build a town there you have to kill the undead first. Like, it's already a starter node but you have to overthrow it to make it a living one.  That would be more fun than starting out on barren land and you can build anywhere. Also, you can get some lore from the undead. Like the history of the town and stuff. It doesn't have to be all towns. It can just be a few.
  • Well, since we know the pvp castles will be populated by npcs till they are conquered the first time, maybe they will be ghosts, and you will get your premade structure that way.
  • I think its possible becuase of the quest a node gets when it grows 
    so maybe you get a sceario in which the town was build on a graveyard and so there are now ghost which have to be killed.
    I dont know i just spekulate XD
  • What if after a siege no one claims the node and it turns into a city of the dead and the only way to claim it back is to be part of a religious node and fight them.
  • Julson said:
    I think its possible becuase of the quest a node gets when it grows 
    so maybe you get a sceario in which the town was build on a graveyard and so there are now ghost which have to be killed.
    I dont know i just spekulate XD
    nagash said:
    What if after a siege no one claims the node and it turns into a city of the dead and the only way to claim it back is to be part of a religious node and fight them.
    Yes! You accidentally built your town on a graveyard! I love that idea! Also, what if the siege ends in a tie? It becomes a city of the dead! So it's rare but pretty awesome when it happens. Yeah!
  • The node will always be "claimed" until it de-levels to Stage 0.
    I suppose it's theoretically possible that all players could choose to abandon a node, but it would still be populated by normal NPCs.
  • i love the idea of a destroyed node becoming a ghost city, what a great flavorful idea.
    btw not being sarcastic.
  • That's a place "ruined" just for Lord Nagash and his minions!
  • That's a place "ruined" just for Lord Nagash and his minions!
    what if they do add an undead race and the city look like theses 

• There'll be a spooky ghost town but it turns out that the "ghost" is really old man McDougal who dressed up like a ghost to scare off questing players who want to turn it into a science node.

He would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that snooping party of adventurers!
  • Atama said:
    There'll be a spooky ghost town but it turns out that the "ghost" is really old man McDougal who dressed up like a ghost to scare off questing players who want to turn it into a science node.

He would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that snooping party of adventurers!
    and the damn Griffin
  • Maybe have some old man trying to use necromancy and demonic powers to raise the spirits and undead to rule a node, and as part of a node quest chain you must team up with a wacky gang and their dog to meddle within this crazy old mans plans and save the town.

but if you and enough players on the server fail the node turns into a Ghost/Undead Node where you must cleanse the zone of these risen abominations to either restore the node or let it further grow as a homage for the demonic.

^^^I think I'm on to something wonderful, man oh man if I knew how actually code and develop games.
  • xschlemmx said:
    Maybe have some old man trying to use necromancy and demonic powers to raise the spirits and undead to rule a node, and as part of a node quest chain you must team up with a wacky gang and their dog to meddle within this crazy old mans plans and save the town.

but if you and enough players on the server fail the node turns into a Ghost/Undead Node where you must cleanse the zone of these risen abominations to either restore the node or let it further grow as a homage for the demonic.

^^^I think I'm on to something wonderful, man oh man if I knew how actually code and develop games.
    Sounds like Scooby-Doo and the gang vs @nagash
  • Sintu said:
    xschlemmx said:
    Maybe have some old man trying to use necromancy and demonic powers to raise the spirits and undead to rule a node, and as part of a node quest chain you must team up with a wacky gang and their dog to meddle within this crazy old mans plans and save the town.

Sounds like Scooby-Doo and the gang vs @nagash
    Dam you meddling players and your mounts too
  • I think we are making a mistake by talking about this in the realm of of de-leveling and finding ruins.

Nodes are in Biomes and themed accordnig to the Biome and the race that built it.
    There could be a Swamp Biome filled with zombies, skeletons of the past Civ, ghosts, and the undead.  The Node would be similarly themes.

There is also always Halloween events to consider.
  • I think we are making a mistake by talking about this in the realm of of de-leveling and finding ruins.

Nodes are in Biomes and themed accordnig to the Biome and the race that built it.
    There could be a Swamp Biome filled with zombies, skeletons of the past Civ, ghosts, and the undead.  The Node would be similarly themes.

that's not a necropolis that just an event. I want a true city of the damned a city where the dead and the lost can become one in a realm or peace and order. A city of the dead is a city of peace
  • nagash said:
    I think we are making a mistake by talking about this in the realm of of de-leveling and finding ruins.

that's not a necropolis that just an event. I want a true city of the damned a city where the dead and the lost can become one in a realm or peace and order. A city of the dead is a city of peace
    A city of rattling bones and the constant sound of the too often skull falling off. Does not sound like a peaceful city to me.  :D On a more serious note, a ghost town appearing due to a node locked out of progressing and being abandoned. Then players have to go through the city and cleanse the node in order to be able to use it again.
  • I was lucky enough to find a video of a room in @nagash ghost town. Good insider footage and seems peaceful enough to me. 

https://youtu.be/CXfxUVjHFl0
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    How about this scenario?
    So the game drops and 10,000 people sign up to play on day 1, but not everyone likes it so 2,000 stop playing after 1 week. After a little while, AoC sends out an email that says, "We notice you haven't logged in lately. Did you forget your password? We can help." So some people come back, but not all. 1,500 people are still out. More time passes and AoC sends out another email. "Come see all the changes we've made since you last played. It's awesome!" Nope. Some people come back but not all. 1,250 are still out. After more time passes AoC sends out a third email. "Here's some free swag to entice you back. Use this code for an exclusive Returner character cloak." Some people come back but 1,000 are still out. 

These abandoned accounts become NPCs that populate the city of the dead. When we kill them it removes their accounts from the server. Some characters are stronger than others depending on the stats they accrued while they were alive.

Depending on how often the programmers clean out the servers there could be a city siege every month, or six months, or whatever. The undead could either try to take back their city or just add to their number depending on who is holding the city when the server cleanse happens.
  • sunfrog said:
    How about this scenario?
    So the game drops and 10,000 people sign up to play on day 1, but not everyone likes it so 2,000 stop playing after 1 week. After a little while, AoC sends out an email that says, "We notice you haven't logged in lately. Did you forget your password? We can help." So some people come back, but not all. 1,500 people are still out. More time passes and AoC sends out another email. "Come see all the changes we've made since you last played. It's awesome!" Nope. Some people come back but not all. 1,250 are still out. After more time passes AoC sends out a third email. "Here's some free swag to entice you back. Use this code for an exclusive Returner character cloak." Some people come back but 1,000 are still out. 

These abandoned accounts become NPCs that populate the city of the dead. When we kill them it removes their accounts from the server. Some characters are stronger than others depending on the stats they accrued while they were alive.

Depending on how often the programmers clean out the servers there could be a city siege every month, or six months, or whatever. The undead could either try to take back their city or just add to their number depending on who is holding the city when the server cleanse happens.
    No.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    sunfrog said:
    How about this scenario?

No.
    Yes.

Long inactive accounts become ghosts and come back for Halloween...or prehaps are the NPC's in a city or two.

Dead, mindless, NPCs but dumber and with less 'purpose'
  • sunfrog said:
    How about this scenario?

No.
    Yes.

Long inactive accounts become ghosts and come back for Halloween...or prehaps are the NPC's in a city or two.

RL can be cruel. Finding out after finally getting back online that your character was wiped is heart breaking. I do not want to have that hanging over my head when playing this game that my character can be washed away because Reality is a cruel mistress.
  • I hope the dev team reads this thread because several very cool ideas for fun gameplay/lore have been offered.  #growthehype ! @steven
  • sunfrog said:
    How about this scenario?

No.
    Yes.

RL can be cruel. Finding out after finally getting back online that your character was wiped is heart breaking. I do not want to have that hanging over my head when playing this game that my character can be washed away because Reality is a cruel mistress.
    Well obviously it wouldn't delete accounts, you'd just be a ghost 6 months after being MIA
  • sunfrog said:
    How about this scenario?

No.
    Yes.

Well obviously it wouldn't delete accounts, you'd just be a ghost 6 months after being MIA
    Instead of a ghost, they would be zombies or those that have been inactive long enough skeletons. Eventually there would be enough of them that they would out number concurrent players and they could have a zombie horde night! Where they siege nodes! YAS!