[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will Tulnar be Furrys? Should they be?

Yes!
No.
::Cries::

I forgot how to make a poll

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Steven has been very clear that the Tulnar will not be furries. 

When will we see Tulnar? Do they Equal Furries?

• Tulnar will probably be one of the later races we work on. They were a stretch goal from Kickstarter. We’re going to be creating the core concepted races first. They will be in place before A2 though. You can expect to see concepts and early work on them before we get to A2. Tulnar do not equal furries but there are definitely some bestial components you can scale up when creating your Tulnar character. Whether or not that would give you something that would be considered a furry would be depending on your interpretation of what that is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVvUtzUuXNY

And because people do stuff like this.
    my strange addiction tlc GIF
    my strange addiction tlc GIF

• I'd like some animal ears and stuff but furries just dont seem to fit for the Tulnar in my opinion :3
    edited July 2018
    More Diversity = More Diverse PlayerBase = More Members
    Honestly i don't see* the problem  :*
  • I hate skin in game so why would I add fur gods why would any beast use fur and not balefire
  • No freakshows please
  • I stared at that horse gif way too long.
  • Eragale said:
    Yea if some people don't like furries, dosent mean they have to get them on the ban list. Just let everyone be who they want.
    edited July 2018
    I mean as long as it fits the lore in fine with whatever happens. I mean you fleshings will all die in the end so its a win win for me no matter how you look at it  ^^
  • Pinkberry said:
    Eragale said:
    Yea if some people don't like furries, dosent mean they have to get them on the ban list. Just let everyone be who they want.
    As far as i know, i remember them stating the game was going feel and go in the direction of Lord Of The Rings. Fantasy but with a serious undertone. Rather than high fantasy like a Revelation online. 

Thats why i backed them at kickstarter. And i think alot more people. 

In a anime mmo i would have no problem with furries, since they would fit the games entire feel.
    Well said, Joanna.

One of my biggest aversions to the "More diversity" argument is that it is literally impossible to please everyone. This isn't Second Life, it's a fantasy MMORPG. that deals with politics, economics, and combat. The setting has lore, the setting has history.

To include something "Just because you can" cheapens the rest of the experience that you are working so hard keep consistent. How pissed would you be if CD Projekt Red released "Cyberfurry 2077"? Sure, some people would be happy, and there's nothing wrong with being happy about that, HOWEVER...

...a game like that would be neither a serious anime game, NOR a serious cyberpunk game. and the same is true for Ashes. I paid to back a medieval high fantasy RPG, that set out to create an original world for me to explore and influence. I did NOT pay for Zootopia: the Dark Ages.

I do agree that everyone should be who ever they want, and they should be allowed to be whoever they want.  But in the same way I can't swear like a sailor in a job interview, people need to recognize that they can't be everything they want to be EVERYWHERE.

And before anyone gets on my case about that statement, I want to make it clear, I have nothing against furries or any of the like. This is simply my opinion about the lack of a place that the image of a Furry inspired race has within the direction of Ashes of Creation as it has been henceforth depicted.
    edited July 2018
    As Steven said, I think it depends a lot on someone's definition of a furry.  Personally, I don't think they're going to look like upright animals or like people with animal ears.  I think they're going to look like something in-between, such as this: 

(Some of Jeff Delierre's personal artwork, it's not Ashes-related.)

She's a cat-person, but isn't 100% cat-that-walks-on-two-legs (think Khajiit or Catfolk) or 100% person with just animal ears and a tail.  She's a blend, and I think the design works beautifully for what they've proposed on the Tulnar so far.  (Certain Ohmes-Raht mods may also be a good example, such as this.)

We know they're a mixture of the major races and minor races that existed before.  This likely includes Elves/Dwarves/Orcs/Humans as well as some sort of mammalian animal-inspired elements and reptilian-inspired elements.  We also know that we can make them more humanoid, more reptilian, or more non-human mammalian.  They've even specified that we can dial up those options to really emphasize those traits, but based on the wording of it being "up to interpretation" if what you get at the end is a furry or not—I'm not expecting them to be animals walking on two legs.  I could be entirely wrong, that's just my read so far.

Because they're a race of many lineages who have been intermixing over thousands of years however, I don't think that any option will give you something that makes them look 100% like any given ancestry because the point of the Tulnar is that they aren't "multiple races living among eachother", they're "the descendants of multiple races living among eachother and blended over time".
    SaintJoanna said:
    -snip-
    I think that by the definition of "furries", your first two images would count more (particularly the second one).
  • I did like the asura race from guild wars in some ways, i would like the tulnar race to be maybe a more undeground, twisted kinda race. 
    That or just to be scrapped from the drawingboard. 
  • nagash said:
    I mean as long as it fits the lore in fine with whatever happens. I mean you fleshings will all die in the end so its a win win for me no matter how you look at it  ^^
    Love it haha
  • see when I think of corruption and animal hybrids I think of beast men like these

edited July 2018
    nagash said:
    see when I think of corruption and animal hybrids I think of beast men like these

That is beautiful! I like the other ones but this one...this one I love. 
  • Should have guessed ^^
    edited July 2018
    I mean ... from what i can assume for the Character Creation - the closest thing to a 
     " Chibi/ **** Furry " Character is 
    • +Dwarves 
    • +Tul'Nar 
    • +Eye Sliders
    • +Head Sliders 
    • +(other) Body Sliders
    Of course, I've never seen any of the iterations of the Character Creation Screen ... but if its similar to BDO, then idk - could be ... unless its like Aion >~>
    https://youtu.be/xDxSVtOgU-Q?t=1m30s
  • As long as there are no **** I'll take whatever furries or scalies you want to throw this way. Keep it classy though.
  • I understand what you guys are saying and you know what i actually agree. Like i do understand that this isn't an anime styled high fantasy, but just all the little bells and whistles just makes me wanna believe that it could be for me n a few others.

• And here is something cute ^^
  • Maevynn said:
    As Steven said, I think it depends a lot on someone's definition of a furry.  Personally, I don't think they're going to look like upright animals or like people with animal ears.  I think they're going to look like something in-between, such as this: 

(Some of Jeff Delierre's personal artwork, it's not Ashes-related.)

We know they're a mixture of the major races and minor races that existed before.  This likely includes Elves/Dwarves/Orcs/Humans as well as some sort of mammalian animal-inspired elements and reptilian-inspired elements.  
    This please!
    Also, Fox Ranger!
    Would a Dwarf Orc mixture be a Dorc?
  • nagash said:

And here is something cute ^^
    I definitely would be a rabbit or fox shaman. 

I love the possibilities.
  • I've always wanted to play a naga in WoW. I never understood why they couldn't just let us equip armor on the upper half of the body and give us a racial stat buff to make up the difference.
  • Loyheta said:
    I've always wanted to play a naga in WoW. I never understood why they couldn't just let us equip armor on the upper half of the body and give us a racial stat buff to make up the difference.
    preach friend
  • NO
    edited July 2018
    @caranteenser why not ?  :*
    Without the Tul'nar,  the Races won't differentiate too much from WoW 
    • which were my initial thoughts before Backing
    Also noteworthy to mention that each splits into Two ( like a Sub-race )

1. We aren't sure if Tul'nar will also have a ... " sub-race "
    2. And since there's racial stat progression for ALL races ... i don't see a problem :3
  • Eragale said:
    1. We aren't sure if Tul'nar will also have a ... " sub-race "
    2. And since there's racial stat progression for ALL races ... i don't see a problem :3
    Mounts are the Tulnar sub race. Your job is to carry people around and wear restricting armor. It's for people who like to be dominated.
    Also,
    TULNAR SUB RACE!!!!

One is land/air based (gorilla/scorpion) and the other is water based!! (Squid/shark)