Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Pro Voice Over in Game for Intrepid

2»

Comments

• Question:
    1. Will you pay for the mouth tongue rigging on all vocal creatures ?
    2. Will you pay for the mouth tongue animation on all vocal creatures ?
    3. Will you pay for the voice to animation sync coding on all story scenes ?
    4. Will you require full blown facial expressions to go with that ?
    ...that aside from the voice files.

What if it's just voice over narrative at key spots?

I agree that NPC dialog doesn't really need voiceover unless done GW2 style where the main story is told with voiced over sketches done story board style.
    That kinda works.
  • I agree that it doesn't really need voiceover but if done properly it can be very effective in bringing the world alive. There wasn't much I liked about ESO but Tamriel did feel alive.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    As long as the VO isn't as bad as FFX I'll be alright.

@Truth Eternal Eternal any word from Intrepid yet?
  • VO all the way please!
  • There is a lot of VO work in these games that is often overlooked, but it would be noticed if it wasn't there... and that's in the form of combat sound effects.  
    Grunts for lunges, groans when receiving a blow, triumphant cries when performing that special attack, laughs and cries for character emotes, not to mention sounds from creatures you're fighting.  It isn't glamorous work, but it's needed and there's usually a ton of it to do before even considering NPC dialog.   

I'm sure there's some plan for this sort of thing in Ashes, but they certainly haven't talked much about it yet. 
  • make everyone undead. you would save so much on voice acting ^^
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    SWTOR uses voice acting for all of their dialog, and it's really awesome!  They even hired really good, high paid voice actors for key characters. SWTOR's dev staff has repeatedly said that VO work is the cheapest part of their content cost to produce.   Once you go full VO, you as the player will never be able to go back to text reading again.  I pray Ashes does it at some point.
  • All comes down to money and time. I fully believe if Ashes is the success we all believe it will be, then VO will come in time. For now, let them do what they promised. They have said repeatedly that VO would not be a concern, getting the core game made and hitting all the stretch goals by launch would be the target. People love to comment "OMG...I have the bestest, super idea eva....do this...and this....and this" That is how you get the shitshow that Star Citizen has become which is on track to take longer to finish than the actual moon shot from proposed idea to landing. What is heartening is that the developers so far have not had any real knee-jerk reactions to minority postings either here or on Discord (Reddit don't count, since they lost control of that long ago), instead have hunkered down and are producing at a pace that is on target.
  • I think as long as the main questlines (or the more important ones) get a VO it will be enough if resources allow it, the smaller quests that we will probably forget about at some point could be worked on only when they can do it without it cutting into the rest of their schedule.