Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Music

I know that Bear Mcreary has been hired for the music of the game. Maybe its a little early to ask this but what kind of music is ashes going for? Like will there soft beautiful music playing as i'm exploring, a seperate theme for combat, seperate theme for a new biome and a new theme for different nodes. I'm assuming all races get their own theme and that theme will be played while in a node. 

I forgot which livestream it was but in one of the ones this year there was a gameplay stream and steven's character was standing still in the game in a forest as they were setting things up for the stream. There was some soft background music playing at the time that i really enjoyed and would love to hear again as i explore a forest like area

Comments

• I imagine we'll get a wide diversity of music to match all the environments and types of encounters we'll find as players.   Bear is one of the best tv music score composers in the biz, and I would wager that a project like this will really allow him to strut his stuff creatively, so to speak. 

I loved his work on Battlestar Galactica, but Black Sails is my all time favorite score out of what he's accomplished so far.  Between those two projects and everything between, he's really shown that he can create a distinctive style for every kind of atmosphere and concept.   So his soundtrack for Ashes is something I'm very much looking forward to.

On that note, I hope we get a copy of the soundtrack with our game....
  • I would assume it will be something similar to what has been done in near every high fantasy game. Which would be a light underlying music set to the current zone. Combat music would come in and change intensity based on the fight. Different music for towns, taverns as well as other locales. 

...and as I do in every game, turn it to 0 and listen to my own music. Because I am a bad person ;(

Mostly because when you play an MMO for hours on end daily the same music get boring and repetitive. I will listen to it for the first few months I am sure.
  • Spun666 said:

...and as I do in every game, turn it to 0 and listen to my own music. Because I am a bad person ;(

You know, I can't say I've never done this in games because I certainly have. 
    But I have some high hopes with Bear McCreary.  He's never done a tv show theme song that I've wanted to skip.

Especially when it came to Black Sails, I can't tell you how often I've listened to that theme or the whole soundtrack in general. 

If fit the tone of the show perfectly.  I can only hope he'll give that same level of detail to Ashes!

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018

Especially when it came to Black Sails
    Wait, he did that song?

That has been one of my favorate theme songs for years (along with Baba Yetu).

The show was quite good too.

I may look in to getting a new amp and dac...

Edit: I will officially be disappointed if we don't have herdy gerdy based music while on ships.
  • Noaani said:

Especially when it came to Black Sails
    Wait, he did that song?

That has been one of my favorate theme songs for years (along with Baba Yetu).

The show was quite good too.

I may look in to getting a new amp and dac...

Edit: I will officially be disappointed if we don't have herdy gerdy based music while on ships.
    Baba yetu is a stunning song and it fits civ 4 so well
  • I'm the type that usually listens to other music while playing but I have high hopes for Ashes to offer a more unique experience.
  • I'm the type that usually listens to other music while playing but I have high hopes for Ashes to offer a more unique experience.
    I'm the same to be honest 
  • nagash said:
    I'm the type that usually listens to other music while playing but I have high hopes for Ashes to offer a more unique experience.
    Unless they put in a million different tracks. Considering the amount of time you put into an MMO (2-8 hours daily) you are going to hear same song over and over again.

Ingame music = first month or so
    Grinding = my own music
  • Spun666 said:
    nagash said:
    I'm the type that usually listens to other music while playing but I have high hopes for Ashes to offer a more unique experience.
    Unless they put in a million different tracks. Considering the amount of time you put into an MMO (2-8 hours daily) you are going to hear same song over and over again.

Grinding = my own music
    I am the exact same. the0 only time I use in-game music is  when im in raids or for the story as they set the scene.  
  • nagash said:
    Spun666 said:
    nagash said:

Grinding = my own music
    I am the exact same. the0 only time I use in-game music is  when im in raids or for the story as they set the scene.  
    I usually turn all music off for raids - I have enough going on in voice chat.

I always have in game music on for the first few weeks of a game, and when I'm just messing around by myself.

My problem is that I usually turn music off in any MMO I play when I'm at the point of raiding 3+ nights a week, and just leave it off.

I'd like options to set the music and sound levels based on my current grouping situation. If I'm in a large group, turn down music but leave everything else the same, if I'm in a raid, turn off everything other than the encounters own sounds, and if I'm in a small group (>4), leave the games music up high.

Combine this with the same mechanic for particle effects and I'll be super happy.
  • I'm with @Rumbleforge on this. I never play games with anything but game music on and I'd also say that Black Sails is one of(if not the) the most underrated tv shows of all time. We've already been subjected to some great music from Ashes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjZBrzAKggc&index=1&list=PL9w7bhv6dLVDDeVpvsS6DSSHsSF96zAqO.

I agree that with Bear at the helm that there'll be fabulous diversity in the game. Anything Black Sails-esque for the experience at sea would be great!