Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How do you do it?

I just got hooked in to this game a few weeks ago and I am already dreaming about it at night and can't stop thinking about jumping in.  Some of you have been doing this for a lot longer.  What are your tips on biding the time?

I am thinking of trying to bake phoenix shaped cookies!

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    I'm not gonna lie to ya, I stepped away from the community for many months because I found maintaining that high level of hype exhausting over a long period of time.  When you know the game is so far off, it really is hard to keep the interest knob cranked to 11. Interest is going to ebb and flow the longer the wait.  Only natural.  

That being said, some of us do while away the hours here on the forum just fooling around in good nature, as we're all in the same boat.  At least there are Alphas and Betas on the horizon, which are great milestones to help us along the way!
  • Every since i saw the KickStarter Archetypes + the Primary-&-Secondary Combination System ... i think of a bunch of Theories. I have been focusing on finishing up an Unusual-Build for my DPS in the MMO I'm (regretfully) still playing ... its kinda fun when i see it in action and funny when others react when they see it xD 

i think of what to stream, play older games on GBA, think of what kind of YouTube vid i should make ... probably others

Speculating ideas + researching more info seems to help
  • To be honest, I don't think about ashes as a game but more as a comunity. Its easier to join a comunity and stay happy than to keep hype about a game that will not come out for a few years. I've met some great people in the community already some have left, but I hope to see them come back. Even meeting the new members makes me happy, I love reading everyone's introduction as it gives me the same feeling I had when I joined.  

In short, just have fun with the comunity. make some friends and enjoy ^^
  • I'm not gonna lie to ya, I stepped away from the community for many months because I found maintaining that high level of hype exhausting over a long period of time.  When you know the game is so far off, it really is hard to keep the interest knob cranked to 11. Interest is going to ebb and flow the longer the wait.  Only natural.  

That at being said, some of us do while away the hours here on the forum just fooling around in good nature, as we're all in the same boat.  At least there are Alphas and Betas on the horizon, which are great milestones to help us along the way!
    Cranked to 11...love this comment!
  • You may find biding your time even more challenging in the time to come. I've spent a long time away from the forums (except the activity feed). At one time I spent so much time on these forums I didn't actually game. Staying away became easier as more info became available and much of threads started on the forums had already been asked a few times, so the dialogue got repetitive.

It's difficult to keep the hype going but you can see that more and more content creator's are coming over to Ashes and that helps a lot. I'm sure when Alpha 2 hits the hype will spike again and hopefully last from there as the testing phase will be persistent.  

There's no doubt that biding your time is a challenge, and I sympathise wholeheartedly, but don't forget to open the front door once in a while. ;)

• I let my imagination go wild and think of stuff. 
  • I just forcus on other things.
  • I jumped into a guild of awesome people who play various games to kill time. It's worked great for me. We are starting a D&D campaign tonight, have daily video gaming sessions, movie streaming nights, etc to kill time.
  • I found that there is over 500+ hours of community created podcasts that I listen to while at work. That is helpful. Also, just doing what you would normally do. Play some games, make some food, sleep, workout, whatever you do just do it.

Go outside, cause trust me, when this game comes out we won't be outside much.
  • I eek out every bit of credible info I can.  My mainstay are these forums which I check throughout the day.  But...I also have a real life with D&D 3x a week, I take classes to learn or be social, plus I participate in some organizations, and I play EQ2; O, and manage to watch some TV programs besides.  Just need to diversify your time and it will pass quickly.
  • Me, I am playing Fallout 4 until I get bored with it, then STO when I get that Scifi itch. Mainly just find something else to do right now. If your not part of the alphas, it's all you can do for the moment.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Pretty much discouraged to play any mmo right now but with Monster Hunter World coming out I'd have it to pass time until Alpha 1 :3 Reading fantasy novels is also a great >.<
  • Pretty much discouraged to play any mmo right now but with Monster Hunter World coming out I'd have it to pass time until Alpha 1 :3 Reading fantasy novels is also a great >.<
    reading and drinking tea ^^
  • nagash said:
    Pretty much discouraged to play any mmo right now but with Monster Hunter World coming out I'd have it to pass time until Alpha 1 :3 Reading fantasy novels is also a great >.<
    reading and drinking tea ^^
    Cant forget the tea ;)
  • Talk with friends play games till then and build up some friendships with others that are going to play it. But Mainly upgrade my setup so when it comes out i have less things to worry about doing. Games going to be fun when its all optimized and finalized cant wait  myself
  • I know the game will be out by 2020 which is only 16 months now. I like to see the progress from their streams but I am not hyped that I lose sleep over it. That only happens a week prior to launch.
  • Work. Wife. Gym. Learning Chinese. All of that takes up a fair bit of time, so I don't do much more than pop into the forums and Discord from time to time.

Getting as much of the self-improvement done now, since I'll be taking time away from that in order to play AoC eventually.
  • Simple:  I'm creating the backstories of multiple characters and prepping for RP.  And fleshing the backstories out as we get more info. 

Beyond that what @nagash said about community is spot on.
  • Drinking a lot of coffee while checking the forums, discord, and watching all the streams and videos.
  • Apparently I go into work and sit there and do nothing but think about how much better my life will be when AoC comes out.. oh and I try to not have any children at this time in my life, that’s up there with my other responsibilities.
  • Apparently I go into work and sit there and do nothing but think about how much better my life will be when AoC comes out.. oh and I try to not have any children at this time in my life, that’s up there with my other responsibilities.
    Yeah, it's super nice having a job where I can troll the forums all morning / afternoon.
  • Take a step back and just do other things, have seen most questions asked multiple times on these forums, and there are a number of people who are more than will to answer them with links etc. Still touch base with the forums each day or so, and discord is on every day, follow a few of the regular podcasts, plus the AOC streams when they are on.

So life floats by day by day, week by week and here we are quickly closing in on alpha1 and all the new information that will bring, then the end of the year. Then on to alpha2 and the beta tests next year, will be sitting here in 12 months time wondering how the past year went by so fast (just like the last 12 months). Then it will be just a short 5 or 6 months fingers crossed, to release.

So its not such a long time to wait :-)