Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Let's talk about this forum

I, like many of you, have high hope's for AoC. I certainly hope it's better than these forums.

At first I thought it was me, then I see a lot of you having the same problems.

Sometimes I post,  and it wont post.

Sometimes it makes up for it by double posting.

Occasionally, I'll be waiting an unknown time while my post verifys.

Most annoyingly is the quotes. Dont get stuck inside the quote box on your phone, or you might not get out.

This doesnt even touch on the gaudy UI and other aspects.

I feel like forums are already a mastered technology and am dismayed at what we ate currently working with.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    Well said

+1 for the avatar

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    I think as an indie startup not knowing that they would have a successful Kickstarter they went with the cheapest option they could, which was Vanilla freeware. But then again, it is free. They owe random people from the internet nothing. Giving people a place to hang out and post every whine, bitch, and moan about their product, even for those that would never give them a dime, seems like a fair deal to me. The marketing of the game has been brilliant by the way, free forum software, volunteer moderators, and beyond the PAX appearances, no paid media. You get what you paid for, and 99% paid for nothing, so expect your freeware to work at a similar level. And if you think this is bad you should have seen what they first went with, there is a reason they gave us "Survivor" badges.
  • Options
    I mean ... i still liked the Old Forum Better tbh. Sure, i hated it when an entire post deletes itself after editing so many times ...  but I still liked the look of it better than this one. The only bright-side about this Version is that is more Mobile-Friendly.& the Auto-save feature.
  • Options
    @ChuckSteak I think Intrepid are wanting to improve the forums and user experience. Vanilla is a stepping stone toward that. When the Alpha-1 crunch subsides hopefully we will hear more about the new web presence :)
  • Options
    Well I for one never had any problems, though I only use it on my PC :3 
  • Options
    hahahahahahaaha oh, you think this is bad then you have not lived through day one of posting compared to that this is a godlike forum. Still, I agree 100% we need a new forum or at least the same amount of care as discord.
  • Options
    I think as an indie startup not knowing that they would have a successful Kickstarter they went with the cheapest option they could, which was Vanilla freeware. But then again, it is free. They owe random people from the internet nothing. Giving people a place to hang out and post every whine, bitch, and moan about their product, even for those that would never give them a dime, seems like a fair deal to me. The marketing of the game has been brilliant by the way, free forum software, volunteer moderators, and beyond the PAX appearances, no paid media. You get what you paid for, and 99% paid for nothing, so expect your freeware to work at a similar level. And if you think this is bad you should have seen what they first went with, there is a reason they gave us "Survivor" badges.
    As an independent start up that did not know it would be this big I agree. However, now that they have raised far more than expected, they are no longer a poor unknown startup. Also, as I said, forums are neither new or expensive. Let's not pretend I'm asking fo them to make a special instanced arena to cater to my personal PvP whims like others tend to do. I'm just pointing out something that could be far better with little effort or investment required.

Why do you think they owe us nothing? Why do you think 99% of peeps here didnt invest? I disagree with both of those statements. I think they owe us, the customer, a solid experience in an MMO at the very least. I would bet 50% or more of this forum has pre-invested. I'm curious where your numbers came from. That's not to even begin to factor in that we are doing thier advertising for them.

About that advertising. It's not bad, but it's not brilliant. I wont start a thread criticizing a part of a game I havnt played yet, but I will point out that I have seen other games suffer in numbers B/C they thought word of mouth was all they needed. Dont for a second underestimate the power of a good commercial campaign. I'm not saying they should or would go that route, but it is a far superior strategy if massive numbers is what your after. Like you said, you get what you pay for. But back to topic. 

Grats on your survivor badge.

-CS
  • Options
    I have not had any issues with the “new” forums. The first forums gave me all the problems you listed. 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    hahahahahahaaha oh, you think this is bad then you have not lived through day one of posting compared to that this is a godlike forum. Still, I agree 100% we need a new forum or at least the same amount of care as discord.
    Oh yeah back then stuff was shit... :3
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah Vanilla Forum is pretty bad.. But oh well, I'm sure they will improve it later on.

There are fan forums that are run on better software's though..  B)
  • Options
    I don't really find the issues to be much of a big deal. I'm used to old school glitchy and faulty tech anyway so maybe thats it. Could be improved but to me personally, it doesn't really matter
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I got my numbers the same place most people get them here. I pulled them outta mah ass. I have no way to verify how much traffic these forums get, how many people that stop by and lurk and never post, and numbers of people that have bought packages versus those that say they have and lied vs those that say they haven't but secretly bought Stufferton's. My point is that you did not "invest" in the forums. Any ROI you are ever going to see is in the form of game time enjoyed. The game when it comes out better have all the promised content and bells and whistles. I was never promised a place to spend my time telling others how my hypothetical is better than their hypothetical. I have paid Intrepid nothing for this forum access and never would, on the flip side, they don't "owe" me access. Sure, they could do better, but why spend money when shit ain't broke.There was a subset of the people that post on these forums who are just losing their mind because there is no official community manager. If I am Steven I look at the last year after the last one did a runner for Trion, and that money saved by taking the time to find the perfect person is just extra sugar.

Training the future playerbase to market the game for them is golden and is used in many industries to get the sheep to pay for themselves. If you go to McDonalds you clean up after yourself. Why? Because they have trained you to. They save massive amounts company wide by not having to have staff to clean up after people. Next time you go there if you ever do, just leave your shit on the table and walk out. Watch the social stinkeye you will get from other patrons. Sheep I tells ya. Intrepid is using the same, volunteer moderators who do what would be a paid job, gamers providing bodies for testing that they are paying the company to do, and a dedicated core of "community content creators" to spread the word without spending a dime on marketing beyond some livestreams and the tradeshows. Will they kick out some scratch closer to launch next year to get a larger initial playerbase? Maybe, but if the base keeps growing at the rate we are being told it is, why would they?
  • Options
    I for one would rather I.S. spend every penny they have on the game.  In my opinion wasting money on an average forum (which I don't seam to suffer many problems with) making it a slightly less average forum is an utter waste of money.
  • Options
    Ive said this before. I thought the old forums were a better design than this. I REALLY dislike the transparency aspect of it. 
  • Options
    I, like many of you, have high hope's for AoC. I certainly hope it's better than these forums.

At first I thought it was me, then I see a lot of you having the same problems.

Sometimes I post,  and it wont post.

Sometimes it makes up for it by double posting.

Occasionally, I'll be waiting an unknown time while my post verifys.

Most annoyingly is the quotes. Dont get stuck inside the quote box on your phone, or you might not get out.

This doesnt even touch on the gaudy UI and other aspects.

I feel like forums are already a mastered technology and am dismayed at what we ate currently working with.

What do you all think?
    You may not be cut out for this......
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Love @sintu.  I've been heralded as a BOT on this forum.   It's not fixed.  I wonder how people on this single forum mass several thousand likes.  Do likes migrate from other forums like twitch, discord, ect?  Or are people using loopholes and programs to spoof?  Don't hang the messenger. With you @chucksteak!
  • Options
    I acknowledge the forums are not ideal, but I also feel currently is not the time to address this as they are working in getting Alpha 1 set up. 

Like most games, Beta will see a big influx of players because everyone knows Beta means nearby launch. Just before Beta would be a great time to do this.
  • Options
    At least the vocal minority don't have a great forum to come to to complain about all the things they don't like about the ga....

Oh...wait.

They already do that.

All the cool kids use Discord
  • Options
    Jahlon said:
    At least the vocal minority don't have a great forum to come to to complain about all the things they don't like about the ga....

Oh...wait.

They already do that.

you mean all the (pick your poison ) who make the community seem unwelcoming to new people. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Jahlon said:
    :p  Discord is great, but it has its obvious flaws when trying to have proper discussions. For that forums are vastly superior. 
  • Options
    Greetings friends. Your insight for our current forums is heard. We just had a new web dev start Monday and once he finishes some game account integration needed for Alpha One, I will task him with fixing up the forums. ❤️
  • Options
    GMSteven said:
    Greetings friends. Your insight for our current forums is heard. We just had a new web dev start Monday and once he finishes some game account integration needed for Alpha One, I will task him with fixing up the forums. ❤️
    The big man has spoken :3 great to see the attention you guys give to the community :>
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    GMSteven said:
    Woohoo!  <happy dance>  Please put a back to top or the forum topic clicky at the bottom of page so we don't have to scroll back up.  ;)
  • Options
    GMSteven said:
    Great news indeed!
  • Options
    GMSteven said:
    Hell yeah! I might go buy something from your store tommorow!

Thanks for everything!
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    GMSteven said:
    Woohoo!  <happy dance>  Please put a back to top or the forum topic clicky at the bottom of page so we don't have to scroll back up.  ;)
    Honestly, this is the only thing the forum doesn't have that I've wanted. 
    But I guess on the bright side, I've gotten to use my neglected Page Up key more often!  ;)
  • Options
     my prayers have been answered ^^
  • Options
    Good guy, this Steven..  B)
  • Options
    Hi,

I built a Chrome and Firefox extension last year that improves the UI imo and still works with no issues. 

https://cohortgaming.com/aoc-forums
  • Options
    tugowar said:
    Hi,

I built a Chrome and Firefox extension last year that improves the UI imo and still works with no issues. 

https://cohortgaming.com/aoc-forums
    Thats pretty handy.