Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Confirmed PVP Modes in AoC - Summary Thread

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing great!

I am a huge PVP fan in MMORPGs so this leads me to ask you all to help me document the confirmed (and maybe even rumored?) PVP modes.

From my understanding, at launch there will be the following:

1. Open World PVP with Corruption mechanic.
  2. Castle/Node Sieges (I think I saw somewhere that there will be 'standalone' castles up for grabs for guilds too?)
  3. PVP Arenas (is this 1v1, 2v2, 4v4?)
  4. Battlegrounds (any details on this yet?)
  5. Battle Royale (I suspect this is only used as a means for testing in Alpha, any chance something like this might stay?)
Thank you all for your time, and I hope this thread helps everyone who's interested in PVP in AoC.

Alex

Comments

• Also, there is that specific mode of PVP which allow a player to become a monster to attack a node.
  • @Dyrits Ah yes, I almost forgot about that. I guess whenever you have a token you 'could' use that, what if you go to an arena with that token hehe
  • I don't see any mention of caravans which are kind of like mobile battlegrounds. 

One thing that might be worth mentioning is steven has clarified that when he refers to battlegrounds, he is referring to areas in the open world that do not use the corruption system (like caravans and sieges) and not instanced battlegrounds like in a lot of other games. 

As you said, we are unsure if this version of the battle royal will stick around but early on it was mentioned that a potential 20 man ffa would be a form a arena.
  • @Dyrits Ah yes, I almost forgot about that. I guess whenever you have a token you 'could' use that, what if you go to an arena with that token hehe
    The monster coin does not transform your character into a monster. When a monster coin event is active in the world, and you have a corresponding coin that matches that event, you are put in a queue. When the queue pops you are transported to the event location as the monster. When the event is over, you return to your original position. So if you were in an arena, then it just so happened that a monster coin event "popped" that matched your coin, you would just be ported out of the arena, and then returned at a later time.
  • I don't see any mention of caravans which are kind of like mobile battlegrounds. 

One thing that might be worth mentioning is steven has clarified that when he refers to battlegrounds, he is referring to areas in the open world that do not use the corruption system (like caravans and sieges) and not instanced battlegrounds like in a lot of other games. 

As you said, we are unsure if this version of the battle royal will stick around but early on it was mentioned that a potential 20 man ffa would be a form a arena.
    @McStackerson

I see. So BGs in AoC would be open world PVP without standard rules. And it was confirmed that this would be the way the caravan system would work also?

Have you seen anything else about the 'pvp arenas' by any chance? The 20 player FFA Battle Royale definitely sounds cool to me. :)

@Dyrits Ah yes, I almost forgot about that. I guess whenever you have a token you 'could' use that, what if you go to an arena with that token hehe
    The monster coin does not transform your character into a monster. When a monster coin event is active in the world, and you have a corresponding coin that matches that event, you are put in a queue. When the queue pops you are transported to the event location as the monster. When the event is over, you return to your original position. So if you were in an arena, then it just so happened that a monster coin event "popped" that matched your coin, you would just be ported out of the arena, and then returned at a later time.

@UnknownSystemError

That's awesome, glad you took the time to explain it! It's pretty well thought-out on their part.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Double post.
  • @LegendaryMage Yes, caravans ignore the corruption system.

Not much about pvp arena's beyond their existence. There has been talk of leader boards and tournaments with rewards but not a lot really confirmed. What kind of information are you looking for?

I forgot to mention guild and node wars. We know leaders of guilds (and possibly nodes) will be able to declare wars against rivals. We don't know much about this besides them wanting there to be objectives involved.
  • @McStackerson Thanks! I'm just trying to gather really 'any' relatively reliable information, to have an idea of what's to come. Rumored stuff is fine as well. :)
  • Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing great!

I am a huge PVP fan in MMORPGs so this leads me to ask you all to help me document the confirmed (and maybe even rumored?) PVP modes.

From my understanding, at launch there will be the following:

2. Castle/Node Sieges (I think I saw somewhere that there will be 'standalone' castles up for grabs for guilds too?)
    5. Battle Royale (I suspect this is only used as a means for testing in Alpha, any chance something like this might stay?)
    Thank you all for your time, and I hope this thread helps everyone who's interested in PVP in AoC.

Alex
    I thought open world was a Flagged PvP experience like SWG was? 
  • I thought open world was a Flagged PvP experience like SWG was? 
    https://aocwiki.net/PvP

Not that familiar with swg but i'm pretty sure they are different. Short of it is you can attack anyone at any time but if you kill someone who never fights back you get punished with corruption which increases your death penalty and can cause you to drop gear. I simplified it so i'd recommend reading what's on that wiki. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    " ... Battle Royale ... any chance something like this might stay? ... "

https://media.giphy.com/media/JYZ397GsFrFtu/giphy.gif

I believe that all but BR will be in the end game from everything IS has said. I am excited that they are trying to mix all aspects of pvp into this game. I like huge pvp battles, but sometimes its fun to just spam 1v1 arenas. If they get everything implemented before the launch of the game I believe they will see huge turn outs from both PVE and PVP players.