Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Starting areas - architectur

will there be typical elf / dwarf / orc --- starting areas ?/ unique architecture / npc.. - where u can feel kind of "home" 
or is the world completely destroyed ? and it is up to us to build it from the very beginning 
ty

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    There are 5 starting areas. One for each race. While they are basic encampments they will reflect the racial style of that particular portals race and the Tulnar in their starting camp that doesn't have a portal. Other than that the areas outside the starting portals are all Node level 0. As they progress, the dominant race that contributed the most to the nodes development architecture becomes dominant. So you could have Dwarves at level 3, then Elves at level 4, then back to Dwarves at 5, and due to a conflict where the Elves and Dwarves left the area, the Tulnar contributed the most and the Metro has Tulnar architecture. These styles will not mix or carry over. Each node phase will reflect a single racial style as they said it would be too difficult or beyond their current capabilities to implement mixing previous into new levels. Hope this made it clearer.
  • Options
    thank u very much ! 
  • Options
    So - if I understand correctly, if you start a different race character as your friends, you'll have to wander the map to find them ( or wander till you find a node you can all meet up at) ?

I love different starting areas as I tend to have a lot of alts, but I hate being separated from my friends.  I've always liked being able to choose a starting area as a group.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    They thought of this in the beginning and have made it so you can start at any of the racial areas you choose. There will be no enforced separation. You will of course have to coordinate on your own with those friends which starting portal you will choose.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Starting_areas
  • Options
    Awesome!  I'm still playing catch up as I was waiting till there was something to see before getting too involved.  Now I'm really getting excited to try the alpha!
  • Options
    Please remember for A1P2 we will only have 4 races, a quarter of the map, and all 8 archetypes to level 20. That most likely means a single starting area <speculation, not confirmed> during testing. The Tulnar were a stretch goal from Kickstarter and will make their appearance last.
  • Options
    Please remember for A1P2 we will only have 4 races, a quarter of the map, and all 8 archetypes to level 20. That most likely means a single starting area <speculation, not confirmed> during testing. The Tulnar were a stretch goal from Kickstarter and will make their appearance last.
    Yeah, thats understandable.  I'm a programmer by trade, so I'm not expecting Alpha == Launch :D  I know the alpha's are combat focused, but I'm hoping to sneak a lil peek at stuff like cosmetic support, housing/artwork, and just a lil random running around exploring.

The combat itself looks interesting at this point.  But its hard to get a 'feel' for it from videos.  I'm hoping to get chance to try it out first hand (later this week?)