Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Abandon Battle Royale

So like many I got my first chance to participate in alpha this last weekend.  I have to say that I was completely caught off guard when I dropped into the game for the first time and I was greeted by Battle Royale.

Graphics look good for this point in development, game is more responsive then some complete games, but I am struggling to understand why my first experience with this game is Battle Royale.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy BRs, but not in my MMORPGs.  After 1 round, I logged out and I won't return until there is something else to see.

BRs are the hot thing right now and I get the temptation to get a piece of that pie, but as a backer I beg you not to go any further down this road, don't spend another second of development time adding, polishing, or refining BR. 

Develop the game that will spur new life into the genre; Develop the game that convinced so many of us to back financially; Develop the game that you dreamed about.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    This is just a way for the developers to test certain things. The BR is not the game being built. It will not be until about Spring of next year when Alpha 1 Phase 2 starts that we will start to see a more MMO world with classes, leveling, and the node system. The BR is only for TESTING. Hope that puts your mind at ease. 

Couple videos that might help you on this subject from a few of our wonderful content creatures. 

Krojak
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KPf7U-E9T_U

Jahlon
    https://youtu.be/_z3u_zSs_HI

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    They decided to do the BR because it was an easy, efficient way to do the testing for server load and action skills for initial data they need. Steven said in Krojak's livestream from this weekend that the only thing they had to develop was the corruption storm mechanic. All the other assets were already developed for the mmo, and they just took them and mashed a bunch together in a single map. They took 5 people from the team and created it over a week. So the impact on the pace of development of the mmo was minimal.

He also said that he had come to a decision on whether the BR would continue being a thing down the line and was going to announce that in the livestream on the 23rd. That has now been pushed to Halloween, so we will have to wait another week to find out what his thinking on it is. I agree that they shouldn't waste time and effort on it, polishing and refining what is going to be a niche asset. They have already had to open up the testing pool ahead of schedule, mainly, I suspect because people log on to the BR, do a few matches, then just wait for the next test. Any data they gather that helps them is good data, but keeping the BR running and updating it and trying to balance the systems as they are now would be a waste of time and effort imo. But that is that, my opinion. The only one that counts is the Sandal Gods. Hopefully if he sees enough anecdotal evidence from the rest of his community saying that it is a bad idea he will adjust his plan.
  • Cregor said:
    So like many I got my first chance to participate in alpha this last weekend.  I have to say that I was completely caught off guard when I dropped into the game for the first time and I was greeted by Battle Royale.

Graphics look good for this point in development, game is more responsive then some complete games, but I am struggling to understand why my first experience with this game is Battle Royale.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy BRs, but not in my MMORPGs.  After 1 round, I logged out and I won't return until there is something else to see.

BRs are the hot thing right now and I get the temptation to get a piece of that pie, but as a backer I beg you not to go any further down this road, don't spend another second of development time adding, polishing, or refining BR. 

Develop the game that will spur new life into the genre; Develop the game that convinced so many of us to back financially; Develop the game that you dreamed about.
    What i dont get but see way to much is people seem to come across the game in development and without doing any research into it other than to know that its an mmorpg they sign up to test it.
    Then they complian about common knowledge stuff.

How is it that you came to discover Ashes? If it was by recomendation by another site could you please give the link to the site as I would like to see how they are describing Ashes and what it is.
  • Cregor said:

That's exactly what they ARE doing.

But a year ago it was nothing but "we need to see combat, we need to see combat, we need to know how action combat, we know to know that Unreal....."

Now they shifted gears to address combat, specifically COMBAT for seven months.  

The Battle Royale mode allows them to do a LOT of things with a minimal number of staffers working on BR exclusive tasks.

Steven has already commented that the Castle Siege Mode testing is still on target for Dec 2018.

• Ill admit to not closely following development since backing the project, so that's on me for getting surprised.  I got thrown off by going directly from an email talking about testing to being thrown into a BR experience.

To answer Arxeon's question, through MMORPG.com initially to discover the site, then watching all of the developer content, then following the kickstarter campaign.  
  • Yes to what everyone said above, from a DEV standpoint, BRs are just very VERY easy to setup and it helps test animations, weapon balance, connections, etc... Plus, it is a popular game mode right now for many games. We all know that Ashes isn't gearing up for being a BR game, they just use the tools they have at their disposal to test.
  • Vhanz said:
    We all know that Ashes isn't gearing up for being a BR game, they just use the tools they have at their disposal to test.
    Well everyone who did the wise thing and did their research that is.
    The problem is all the people who didn't.
  • If I see one more post about pvp or BR im going to snap
  • @nagash I don't think this will stop anytime soon. 
  • nagash said:
    If I see one more post about pvp or BR im going to snap
    Would we have to hammer and nail your bones back together when you're done snapping?
  • Just glue.  Lots and lots of glue.
  • @Cregor BR took 1 week of 5 people to create the BR. so it didn't take any resources to do this test. It was just building the storm and everything else was taken from what's already in the MMORPG
  • nagash said:
    Hey you go. I made a video about it. 
    https://youtu.be/rSdyJkvvjwQ
  • Krojak said:
    nagash said:
    Would we have to hammer and nail your bones back together when you're done snapping?
    please let me die it would be a mercy at this point