Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Heretics! Burn the Witch! Etc

I would be interested in seeing systems where if you join a religious faction that has as one of their tenets your compliance and continued service to the religion, that you could then be in non compliance and certain events could happen that involve other players.

Say, you are part of this religious faction but you become corrupted. Perhaps other players of your faith could capture you and cleanse you as an activity. If you wanted to be corrupted you would have to fight them off or run like an exiled outcast and that would be an interesting addition to the corruption system for people active in a religious node. Instead of simply killing you, cleansing your character could be their goal.

Now...cleansing you could still literally be killing you, just with more work, but it doesn't have to be.

Also they could capture you, and measure you against the weight of a duck to see if you're made of wood.

The goal being that, if you consented to join this sort of religious faction and its rewards then you also consent to the conceit that your character is going to be imprisoned for these rituals if caught while being out of line, and everyone can have a fun game of cat and mouse with the reward being either further debauchery or the victory over one of your fellow's demons perhaps culminating  in a literal fight with their devils.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    Oh now you have my full and undivided attention ^^

• I now noticed that there might be a better section of the forums for this. My bad.

Religious fanaticism is uncritical zeal or with an obsessive enthusiasm related to one's own, or one's group's, devotion to a religion – a form of human fanaticism which could otherwise be expressed in one's other involvements and participation, including employment, role, and partisan affinities.

This thread reminds me of this.
  • I like the idea that your relationship with your deity may go up or down depending on your actions/behavior/choices (and not just some quests). Not sure how I feel about the hunting down mechanic...

Ahhhh it's so hard to speculate on this because we've only been given morsels about religious stuff... MORSELS!

Religious fanaticism is uncritical zeal or with an obsessive enthusiasm related to one's own, or one's group's, devotion to a religion – a form of human fanaticism which could otherwise be expressed in one's other involvements and participation, including employment, role, and partisan affinities.

This thread reminds me of this.
    Shhhhh your logic will not stand here as we are hunting heretics ^^
  • nagash said:
    Says the heretic, these poor people all they did wrong was be born.

Seriously though the Spanish inquisition were a bunch of heretics. That's religion for you.

• nagash said:

Seriously though the Spanish inquisition were a bunch of heretics. That's religion for you.

I know but let's not get into that and just  think of hunting the corrupted tulnar ^^
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:

I know but let's not get into that and just  think of hunting the corrupted tulnar ^^
    How about we start with the walking corpse that wants to re-animate even more corpses ? 
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:

How about we start with the walking corpse that wants to re-animate even more corpses ? 
    not sure if you can but it would be interesting 
  • What about so called good churchs going after other churches that they say follow evil gods, or the other way around?