Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tab Targeting

So what are your thoughts on the big pink circles on enemy tab target and the big green circles on the friendly tab target?
For me:
Pros: you can definatly see where you are aiming
Cons: it is very annoying to have a massive disk bright coloured disk on the ground, moving around.

Suggestion: two small red spheres, one on each side of the enemy target name.
Two small blue spheres one on each side of the friendly target name. 
Since the NPC/player names are alrdy in the field of vision, using a target indicator on the names is not as annoying as having pink and green disks on those targets feet.

This is the system the old Line][Age mmorpg used. I find it very practical and it helps clean the screen from indicator clusters. 

Maybe it can be a customizable feature in Options for those that prefer more distinct indicators or less.

Comments

• Uh, I'm adamantly against this.

I don't need colored anything to know who I'm targeting with tab targetting.   

Raid/party members you'll know because they will be in your raid window/party list.

• @Jahlon
    Currently there are coloured red circles on your tab targets feet. Pink and green
  • @Jahlon
    Currently there are coloured red circles on your tab targets feet. Pink and green
    Right, I don't need the color discs.
    I don't need colored anything near names.

• Jahlon, how can you then tell who is friend and who is enemy in large and messy battles?

Having an option in settings to choose the circle, name, orb or highlight would be great. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    I do think that for inexperience players it would be good, but it should also come with the choice to turn it off.
  • Personally I wouldnt like any indicators as well, but since they will definatly add them for tab targeting skills I am pointing out that two categories of players need to be considered:
    Those that want distinct indicators
    Those that want subtle indicators.

• What's wrong with the standart one? I think it's nonintrusive at the feet as it has always been in every game that had em. The size and colour might need adjusting but the concept and placement is just well.
  • Grisu said:
    What's wrong with the standart one? I think it's nonintrusive at the feet as it has always been in every game that had em. The size and colour might need adjusting but the concept and placement is just well.
    Not all games have them.
    The majority of mmorpgs ive played dont have them.
    I find them intrusive. 
    As intrusive as character highlights.
  • Grisu said:
    What's wrong with the standart one? I think it's nonintrusive at the feet as it has always been in every game that had em. The size and colour might need adjusting but the concept and placement is just well.
    Not all games have them.
    I find them intrusive. 
    As intrusive as character highlights.

@gb1990gaming I couldn't imagine playing any action or tab target mmo without some sort of target indicator, either floor circle or highlight.

What games are you talking about?

One a side note I'm sure they'll have a system in place to make transparent or even remove highlights and targeting circles, like most "other" mmorpg's 
  • And dont have a problem with target circles really.
    A bigger problem is to make them visible through all the spelleffects :)
  • Lufia said:
    And dont have a problem with target circles really.
    Spell effects will be reduced in strength and refined as we approach release. They are extremely bright and colorful at the moment, most likely because it makes it easier to work with them that way.
    edited November 2018
    I definitely think that some sort of targeting acknowledgement is needed (circles at the bottom of feet, or orbs/highlights on either side of the target's nameplate).
    However, for some people like above, this is something that isn't wanted and therefore should probably be an interface option that can be enabled/disabled/customized.

Edited: Spelling.
    edited November 2018

Not all games have them.
    Wow, Gw1, Gw2, Star Wars,EQ2, Tera, Secret World, FF,  Neverwinter, Age of Conan, Aion, Ultima online,  Lineage 1+2, ragnarok, rift, Wildstar, ArchAge.
    All of them have the circle indicator.

I have no idea what you have played or since when you play, but the majority of MMOs have them from the past to today and that's just from the top of my head, I'm sure I could find more in decreasing relevance.
    In contrast to all the once I named I can hardly think of 3 mmos that do not have a circle at the ground as target indication. Vindictus(which isn't an mmo but a squad based dungeoncrawler) has no indication at all if I remember correctly, same with BDO and B&S. Skyforge had the ugly glowing outline.

Is there even another noteworthy mmo out there?
  • I think the circles could help a lot when it comes to summoners and their secondary archetypes(classes) I don't know how they'll make it work but for example if you summon 2 monsters you could have one defending you and other tanking some boss while your teammates do the dps or targeting 2 different mobs when one dies they automatically go to the other, it could be based on skill activation too I don't know how it will work but the circles could help.
  • Some sort of indicator to show who you target is great but colored discs are not so great .w.
  • Sikuba said:
    Lufia said:
    And dont have a problem with target circles really.
    Spell effects will be reduced in strength and refined as we approach release. They are extremely bright and colorful at the moment, most likely because it makes it easier to work with them that way.
    I have nothing against flashy bright spelleffects.
    Infact i like a world that is more hybrid between cartoonish and realistic.
    Vibrant colours just makes me feel more like im in a fantasy world :)
    Green elven forests, bright ivory castles, powerfull big spells.