Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Caravan Loss Mitigation

What if caravans had a system where if you lose the wagon you keep a percentage of what you had shipped. Like instead of it being a total loss only a percentage of it makes it to the destination. The percentage is relatively arbitrary but lets say the robber gets away with 50% or 75% of the supplies and the rest makes it to the destination.

I'm fine with losing caravans I just don't like the idea of a complete loss if I'm robbed.

Comments

• Thats exactly how they want to do it. They stated this multiple times. An successful attack an a caravan gives the attackers only a percentage of the goods. The rest is returned to the origin of the caravan.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Caravan_PvP
  • I hope the percentage of loss/gain is some how scaled to how well defended vs how many attackers. This would encourage more people to participate on both sides.     
  • Eibwen said:
    I hope the percentage of loss/gain is some how scaled to how well defended vs how many attackers. This would encourage more people to participate on both sides.     
    I really hope they don't do it like this. This would overcomplicate things. I don't want to do math of "how high could the percentage be" every time i send a caravan or attack a caravan.

I think this could potentially ruin the caravan system. Lets assume higher drop percentage if badly defended & low drop percentage if well defended:
    1. People wouldn't send caravans they can't defend properly because they would lose a higher percentage of goods. This leads to less caravans that are beeing send.
    2. Caravans that are send out well defended can not be attacked by small groups. And there would be less motivation to build larger groups because you get less percentage of loot when the caravan is well defended.

• Augentier said:
    Eibwen said:
    I hope the percentage of loss/gain is some how scaled to how well defended vs how many attackers. This would encourage more people to participate on both sides.     
    I really hope they don't do it like this. This would overcomplicate things. I don't want to do math of "how high could the percentage be" every time i send a caravan or attack a caravan.

I think this could potentially ruin the caravan system. Lets assume higher drop percentage if badly defended & low drop percentage if well defended:
    1. People wouldn't send caravans they can't defend properly because they would lose a higher percentage of goods. This leads to less caravans that are beeing send.
    2. Caravans that are send out well defended can not be attacked by small groups. And there would be less motivation to build larger groups because you get less percentage of loot when the caravan is well defended.

I see your point. But I was thinking a small percentage difference.

1. Will there be a limit to how many and how big a caravan can be from or to a Node per day? If a caravan has a set server time it can leave a Node with a set route then attack/defend will be vary planned out.

2. Is the caravan player controlled? Can we change routes turn back to home node in case of road blocks?

3. Will a caravan be a Node wide event that citizens can ship items a few times a week with heavy guard Or few friends get together and run a caravan for simple trade? If its possible to make a caravan any time, when is it cost effective? Is it worth sending almost empty caravans to spread the risk of loss and increase chance completed shipments?

4. What makes a caravan raid successful? Do you need to kill all defenders and destroy the wagons or just disable/stop the wagon?

Resource caravans maybe required to even level a node above a set point. This would make attacking/defending a high priority.

I am just throwing out ideas.

• This is the direction Intrepid is going for though if I steal your wallet I dont magically get only a % of whats inside .w.
  • I would like to be able to completely dominate a caravan, and have ingame mechanics decide if anything escapes back home. I'd imagine that's what they'd want too, but if they can't tinker it out, I'll settle for whatever happens.
  • This is the direction Intrepid is going for though if I steal your wallet I dont magically get only a % of whats inside .w.
    That is true. But if you rob someones car, chances are you cant take everything out at once or before someone comes along. The caravan steal limit could follow similar rules. There will be too much to carry which is why they needed the caravan in the first place.

We dont know how the system will handle the remaining things either. If the caravan travels back, can it get raided again? Will we see dozens of broken down caravans on the roads? 
  • Zomnivore said:
    I would like to be able to completely dominate a caravan,
     Dont forget to dominate with friends after all the word is that you cant solo a caravan
    Now now, stealing is bad. Just make sure you don't initiate the fight so by the end of it you can take their wallet and say "This is not stealing. It is the price of failure"