Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Solo Support

I get that the support role is supposed to..you know...support. I'm generally love playing support classes and an definitely leaning towards Bard/Cleric. My question is do we know how feasible it will be for support classes to solo content? I'd like to adventure and explore the world, and I'd hate it if I was tied to a friend in order to do so. Making an alt is an option, bit lesser preferred.

Comments

• I dont think that we will ever be the fastest in soloing content, but we will most likely be something like cockroaches, if we really try to survive. 
  • Damokles said:
    I dont think that we will ever be the fastest in soloing content, but we will most likely be something like cockroaches, if we really try to survive. 
    this is why you need minions 
  • Damokles said:
    I dont think that we will ever be the fastest in soloing content, but we will most likely be something like cockroaches, if we really try to survive. 
    No, it isn't. I leveled as resto druid in WoW..it took some time for sure. I'm just worried that, considconsi there is such an emphasis on exploration, will us support players have to roll alts just to traverse the land and discover the world. I'm hoping this isn't the case.
  • Based on what Steven has said before, you should not have to roll a second class to explore almost everything EXCEPT group content (for obvious reasons), BUT it will be slow due to the whole "I'm a support" thing. You seem very aware that support classes generally do little damage.
  • We can probably explore group content solo - just won't be able to clear group content solo. I've asked specifically about exploring group dungeons solo and Steven indicated that's possible.
    You'll probably need to choose abilities/augments that facilitate movement, travel and stealth.

In Ashes, a significant portion of damage comes from weapon abilities and any class can us any weapon, so... that portion has little to do with whether the class is a "support" class.

"Slow" is subjective. I don't recall Steven ever saying that playing solo will result in leveling "slowly".
  • It was mentioned in one of the streams (I watch randomly so cannot remember which) that for the Bard buffs to work, the Bard had to be in the thick of things.  Basically, you are being an example and people fight harder due to that.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    "Truly a force multiplier, the bard weaves songs of glory and conquest, inspiring his comrades to ever greater heights. The bard knows secret and powerful words, is able to speak into being terrible nightmares, or convince foes to become friends."
    ---https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/b/bb/archetypes.png

"Bards are intended to amplify a party or raid's ability to perform within their own class. That amplification isn't just intended for DPS, but also for support, for healing, for taking damage, for movement. Bards have often been portrayed as a musical class and while they can be that, many Bard applications may exist in just telling a story. Telling a story is going to be the thematic component of how the Bard interacts with the party. And that story is going to enhance player's abilities to perform. Very similar in a way to buffing up a party, but you are not going to see him as a "buff bot" that you might have experienced in previous games, where they are only good for their buffs and then you kick them out of party and they sit in a corner and come back in 30 minutes. Those buffs are going to be related to how they perform."
    ---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-sX1aFljM&feature=youtu.be&t=46m42s

• Wow, thanks!  And I didn't even watch that one!  :)