Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The Sandal

LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
As we all know, there is a sandal hidden somewhere in the APOC map. As of yet, it hasn't been located. We've all heard plenty of rumors, many of us have scoured the map for any sign or spotting of it.

I don't think we're going to be able to find it on our own. In this thread we discuss any hints, tips, or theories we have about it's location. Personally? I think there's a sequence of events you need to complete before it spawns, in several places across the map. Apex's Nessy easter egg is like that, and requires the cooperation of an entire team to do it in time before the walls come in.

Comments

• dphantomtvdphantomtv Member, Alpha One
    I volunteer as tribute.

On a real note, I will help search/lead a party for the sandal once we get more reliable server uptime. :)
    dEbtg6Q.jpg
    He's a phantom | twitch.tv/dphantomtv
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I never got this. I know its a meme but why but it in a mode meant for testing?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For laughs, mostly, but they mentioned there would be some kind of achievement for finding it.
    Lyiat wrote: »
    For laughs, mostly, but they mentioned there would be some kind of achievement for finding it.

seems like a waste of time to be honest but I may be cynical
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »

What part? Doesn't take very long to put an object on a map and put a trigger on it that basically says, "Yay, you did it" when an actor walks over it.

What part? Doesn't take very long to put an object on a map and put a trigger on it that basically says, "Yay, you did it" when an actor walks over it.

I have no idea why but on a fundamental level I really don't like it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• i thought this said The Scandal...
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • AzilieAzilie Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just gonna throw this out there, but the sandal is a modular asset. It can be reused anywhere, and probably took maybe 15 minutes to model, UV map, and texture, maybe less, so it didnt take away any time from the bigger models, animations, or environment designs. It's there for a fun joke to bring the community together and give them something to chuckle over.

Unique assets that only get used maybe once or twice take up resource space compared to the modular design of buildings and assets that most games nowadays use, because it saves disk space, server space, and can be easily called via code. While unique assets are necessary for specific events, a game made up of nothing but unique, one time use assets is going to be a nightmare on disk space when it downloads.

That's why game designers build assets and environments with modularity in mind. Textures can be swapped out easily, bump maps can be modified to give the impression of damage and wear and tear, and all of that can be hot swapped through trigger codes.
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I cant get excited over the idea of finding a sandal....I great artefact ? yes I could but a sandal ? no I just cant feel it.
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    WE WILL FIND THAT SANDAL !
    Poko.png
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    WE WILL FIND THAT SANDAL !

Woah curb down the excitement there. the sandal is not going anywhere :joy:
  • ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wasn't there for the origin of the meme, but my understanding of it is that Steven's feet got on camera one livestream and he was wearing sandals. Later, if not in the same live stream, he commented about losing a sandal. The chat really stuck to the whole sandal thing and through sheer force of perseverance, the sandal became a "holy object."
  • You REALLY kind of had to be there.... *happy sigh*
    Megs wrote: »
    You REALLY kind of had to be there.... *happy sigh*

It was a day :smiley:
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most of the community don't even know the sandal story, eh?
  • edited May 2019
    branegames wrote: »
    Most of the community don't even know the sandal story, eh?

I had thought that Lex had included the Sandal clip in the wiki, but apparently not.
    So yes. it's a legend. Only worth whispering on the wind. :wink:
  • ostravaostrava Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Inside one of the highest building maybe?
  • Whilst hiding under a table.... *sagenod*
    I bet it's under water some where
    nJ0vUSm.gif

That'd be cheating. It's impossible to go under water. You die.

I mean in the swamps
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I mean in the swamps

I checked around there myself, didn't see much... but I'm not entirely sure how thorough I was.
  • OceanosOceanos Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    well I remember a sandal in the lobby :smile:

If I found one on the map, it'll be my pleasure to post it on this thread !
    oceanus.gif