Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How deep should fishing be in AoC?

Will you be happy with just a fishing pole and toss your line into any body of water, or do you want to see a deeper system?

I know this isn't going to be a fishing sim, but fishing in AoC to me should be on different levels.

You have the people that will fish from shores, that's a given.
But I would love to see fishing in other areas.

1. net fishing
2. Boat fishing
3. underwater fishing

Just to name a few. and if give these make it deep with a touch of a few risks give how your fishing and where.

What do you guys say on the topic?

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I want to wrestle with a fukn shark while holding off a kraken with my other hand, thats how in depth i want fishing!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Net fishing!
    I would like to see a progression, like, you start with a pole then as you level up you can use a boat and finally a net. Maybe even a fishing mastery certificate. I would also like monthly tournaments.

I would also like to build my freehold inside the belly of a whale and have it be steerable like a boat, then if people want to destroy my freehold they have to kill my whale. lol. But that's just me. :smiley:
    fNX2ISa.png

edited May 2019
    @sunfrog
    That whale house idea would make for an interesting freehold xD
    If it was stranded and half rotten/the skelleton of it, then it could even be doable :D
    Could be a legendary freehold blueprint for fishing grandmasters.

The progression would be:
    -make the bait out of epic sea creatures that you have to slay on your own and have a cook turn their ingredients into the bait
    -have someone make you an epic harpoon from ore mined by a master from some raidbosses
    -craft an epic boat made from rare or epic materials
    -get a magical item that lets you and your party breathe underwater through a lengthy questchain
    -gather a raid of 40 people
    -summon a whale in the depths of the ocean at a specific spot with the bait
    -use item to give your raid underwater breathing
    -the whale would be invulnerable until you use the harpoon on him
    -slay the beast
    -harvest the carcass
    -errect your legendary freehold
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    I'm hoping we see a lack of afk fishing mechanics. I really hope fishing involves a minigame that really tests the players mechanical skill, with difficulty scaling with the rarity of the fish on the line. Different types of fishing would be cool too as you mentioned. Perhaps make the type of fishing you're going to do depend on what type of fish you're wanting to catch. Boat nets for shrimp, freediving for lobster, spear fishing for fish that wont bite on bait, etc.
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    I hope that this is going to be a progressive system where you start literally with a long stick and a more little stick attached to it with a cord and you can finalize with a boat or a couple of boats fishing massive sea creatures for tresures or reward hopefully with and harpoon in epic fishing battles...no, I'm not joking...
    giphy.gif
  • jodypsejodypse Member
    , with difficulty scaling with the rarity of the fish on the line.
    Rarity of a fish should not reflect how hard it is to reel it in, only in how often it bites.
    A common fish could be craftier and stronger and bigger, and thus a lot harder to actually reel in once it bites, while a very rare "once in a blue moon" fish might be shy enough to almost never bite and need special bait to even get that chance, but be weak and small and very easy to reel in once it bites.
    How to get it to bite would then be the hard part, not reeling it in.

I do want a non-afk version of fishing, and any other hobby, not an afk version unless it involves hiring NPC's (or PC's) to do the fishing.

As for other ways to fish, nets and stuff, it seems to me that only makes it a job instead of a hobby and might take a bit away from the game otherwise, unless it also involved hiuring of NPC's (or PC's) to operate the boats and do the fishing.

• THAR SHE BLOWS, A hump like a snowhill!

If I can't be defeated by a whale and waste my life seeking revenge I might be disappointed.

On a more serious note, I want fishing to have a variety and maybe even rarity of fish with different bait and different water types giving you different outcomes. Add to that a variety of recipes for cooking and alchemy,.

Since oceans and ships will play a big part I wouldn't mind group fishing for large creatures from whales, giant sharks, krakens, and whatever else Verra can through at us using harpoon guns and being oceanic raid bosses.
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2019
    So what you're saying is, you want the fishing gameplay to have a lot of depth. ;) You want the devs to cast a wide net when it comes to fishing systems. ;):p
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
    leonerdo wrote: »
    So what you're saying is, you want the fishing gameplay to have a lot of depth. ;) You want the devs to cast a wide net when it comes to fishing systems. ;):p

Whale, whale, whale, what do we have here?
    Not bad, cod do better of course.
    I get a reel got laugh, when i hear fishing puns.
    But I cant normally do them, because my friends are always so sofishticated.

But now I think I should scale back.

(Yes I have a ton of basic fish puns saved on my pc :D )
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want to see Deadliest Catch: Verra.

Have a party of adventurers go out on a ship along the coastline to collect crab pots, while braving storms, pirates, and navigating around treacherous waters (hidden rocks and such).

Meanwhile you need to retrieve the pots and put out new ones. You work as a team and divide the spoils.

Hhak63P.png
  • dancerdancer Member
    For inland fishing I would like to see some ideas taken from Wen Spencer's Elfhome series. If you are too close to the shore and are not carefull something like a jump fish might jump out the water and take you in one bite, or a 60 foot river shark might pull you in and take a bite in deep waters.
  • TatianaTatiana Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I LOVED ArcheAge's fishing system, so if it's anything like that at all I'll be thrilled lol. I spent soooo many hours doing that.
  • Noodling.