Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Underwater Content

What do people expect and want from the underwater content? Where have you seen it done well and what did it entail?

I personally think the underwater content provides a cool opportunity to really make the players have to deal with and survive a harsh environment. I don't think underwater combat should be emphasized too much as I've never seen it done well in an mmo (it's just regular combat but you are 'flying'... cool -_-). But if underwater exploration and dungeons (not underwater NPC hubs) required more prep and interactions with breathing, light, temperature, and even pressure based on depth I would be happy. Finding some shipwreck should be cool and a different feel than finding old ruins on the ground. If I just have to kill a bunch of mobs to get some loot either way, I don't care if the mobs are fish/snake people that are in water or out of water. But if I have to plan for the appropriate depth and get provision and know I have limited time to explore, then it feels different than above water.

Essentially: I just hope they make underwater content and exploration actually feel different and have different mechanics than above water. If it's the same formula of kill monsters, but this time they look like fish and you can move up and down because you're underwater then that's not very exciting. Also, if my breathing bar is easy to get around by some potion or spell that lasts 30 minutes +, then the breathing bar is kinda pointless.

I also have zero experience with naval combat in games, so I was curious how people expect/want underwater mechanics to interact with naval stuff? In terms of combat as well as what happens if you fall overboard or your ship sinks.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I only really want two underwater things:
    1. Underwater fishing (like octopus catching, or clam diving etc)
    2. Underwater exploration (like secret pirate coves, treasure chests, sunken wracks etc)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    damokles wrote: »
    I only really want two underwater things:
    1. Underwater fishing (like octopus catching, or clam diving etc)
    2. Underwater exploration (like secret pirate coves, treasure chests, sunken wracks etc)

What about Octopus wrestling?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited June 2019
    damokles wrote: »

So what does underwater exploration look like to you though? Just like above water exploration expect you also fly and have some breathing bar you have to deal with? How do you find wrecks?
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2019
    @karthos That is deep-sea fishing my dear friend. It falls under the same category as Moby Dick, The great white shark and the kraken. Underwater is coastal mainly for me, deep-sea is in the open ocean :D

@neuroguy Well that depends. Pirate coves could be found through looted treasure maps (the same could go for normal treasure chests), while wrecks could be random under the sea and you would to have to actually look for them, or you can hear news in the tavern of a sunken ship etc. They could make it so that ship wrecks can randomly spawn on active sea traderoutes.
    Exploration itself would be like you described: you have an air bar that slowly depletes, and the actual time underwater would then depend on your stamina stat (meaning that tanks for example could naturally stay longer underwater). It would be also really cool, if engineers could craft things like air canisters or something like that xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Underwater areas are often very beautiful.
    I want this so bad https://youtu.be/MBIEcpUUgEM?t=128

No more Shark costumes increasing swim speed like in bdo!
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Underwater areas are often very beautiful.
    I want this so bad https://youtu.be/MBIEcpUUgEM?t=128

No more Shark costumes increasing swim speed like in bdo!

Completely off topic but that guy's buoyancy control is absolutely shit.

As for underwater stuff in Ashes, the main problem with underwater anything is the use of the Z axis (the bit that goes up and down). Most mmorpgs aren't designed for this kind of movement and it can be very disorientating for people, particularly when manipulating the camera. That's why you will often think your character is level with an object/mob underwater when in fact they are above or below it.

It's something to consider if a large portion of the game is done underwater.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Archeage has some underwater content, but not enough and it didnt really work very well as @wanderingmist pointed out the game is not really designed with this type of movement in mind. If Intrepid did decide to go down this route i would have thought it would be a long way down the line as there are a lot of other content that would be more popular.
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited June 2019
    neomir wrote: »
    Archeage has some underwater content, but not enough and it didnt really work very well as @wanderingmist pointed out the game is not really designed with this type of movement in mind. If Intrepid did decide to go down this route i would have thought it would be a long way down the line as there are a lot of other content that would be more popular.

Underwater content is already confirmed including dungeons and points of interest. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Underwater#cite_note-livestream-19-May-2017-38:46-1

I haven't played archeage but underwater MMO combat in my experience is just not different enough from above water to give it any real meaning. As the original post suggests, I just don't think underwater combat can be made that good in MMOs from what I've seen but I don't think "combat" needs to be the focus of what you do underwater necessarily. Outside of dungeons, points of interest and coastline waters, I hope there is more of a "treasure finding" feel to exploring underwater, with shipwrecks and such but not necessarily mobs in too many places.

The best underwater content I've seen is not in an MMO, it is in survival games like subnautica where there is virtually no combat. Instead, survival mechanics and exploration are what drive the feel and purpose of being underwater and I think that this may be transferable to MMOs. I am excited to see what Intrepid does with underwater stuff. Given how cool the underrealm looks, I am excited for the aesthetics alone already hahaha.