Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

$20 a month business model

2»

Comments

• Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    damokles wrote: »
    @karthos
    I just wanted to throw that in because you said that no one makes any money from the subscription model.
    That is wrong, the subscription model is one of the most paying methods, the problem is the dwindling player base :)

I don't accept "you are wrong". This phrase means nothing to me.

Show me how I'm wrong. We both know you can't.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @karthos
    I did. I gave you an example, for why the subscription model is still profitable, and i also said the real reason why the subscription model is failing. It is making money, but the problem with it is that it needs a stable and strong player base.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I really don't see anything you've included that would change my mind honestly. I invited you to expand your point.

Assumptions (especially wrong ones) do not equal "examples".
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    karthos wrote: »

Well you did not mention any examples for why subscriptions are not profitable yourself... Both of us can only assume here, depending on our corresponding information and own experience.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    damokles wrote: »
    karthos wrote: »

Well you did not mention any examples for why subscriptions are not profitable yourself... Both of us can only assume here, depending on our corresponding information and own experience.

I'll switch to crayons.

My examples were Overwatch, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Remember when I said that? Are you actually reading my replies?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @karthos and @damokles this argument is pointless from both sides, since neither of you have access to the in depth finances of Blizzard. You don't know how much they spend to produce new content for their games or keep their servers running, nor do you know how much money they make from subscriptions as opposed to in-game purchases.

As such both of you can only ever make assumptions on what is going on.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    edited June 2019
    Doesn't wow have mtx too by now? Then there is the bi-yearly full priced expansion which should alraedy cover the content for the following 2 years.
    With the playerbase they have, I doubt server costs are that significant. I remember back in the day seeing some detailed breakdowns of blizzards costs anjd server costs were so insignificant they usually were packed in with other expenses and there have been quite a few things that cost them just a million or so. Servers are cheap nowadays. They have been for a long time.
    WoW is a weird horse. It seems to make them enough money to justify continuing it, even tho they are down to 1/4 of their peak player base. Just think about that, how much extra money they must have made, back then.

Either way, I absolutely love the true subscription model intrepid offers. You have no Box price, so you can very easely justify playing and paying for 4 months to get to know this MMORPG. That is plenty of time to see wether you personally like it or not. I was always a little confused about the cosmetic store, but if I understood it correctly, the only real exclusive items are seasonal ones and specific colour variations(probably with some extra fluff) of skins you can earn ingame.
    I'm not a fan of MTX, but if it's reasonally priced, aka a full blown reskin of textures design and stuff, while also not being the only source of looking decent/diverse, then I can justify dropping 5 extra bucks into the pot ever so often.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    @grisu It's entirely possible that the money Blizzard got from WoW was (and still is) used to fund their other less lucrative projects. And it's not just the game itself but their e-sports ventures as well. The prize money for this year's WoW MDI and Arena tournaments was funded by in-game shop purchases.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/world-of-warcraft/22862590/wow-esports-in-2019

As an example.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Heroes of the storms failed and it was entirely MTX supported. Yeah, who knows how money is distributed with Actrivision in the mix. Their "other incomes" is as big as their entire pc income which is slightly behind their console income.
    All those toys and crap they sell is making them tons for sure too for little cost.

Point was anyway, I like IS approach and hope they don't drop themselv into an MTX nightmare hole.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    @wanderingmist

Don't make assumptions about what I do and don't have access to.

You know what happens when you assume...
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    @karthos no one fears you... calm down and eat a snickers.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    @karthos Prove me wrong then.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    i would just like to add, that sub models , while indeed good and consistent ways to rake in cash, are a massive investment just to get the ball rolling.

its a reverse snowball effect where the ball needs to be build up first before it rolls and diminishes, it poses an immense risk and companies simply arent willing to take that risk because they feel the market/audiences are tired/saturated with them, wich cue's in steven's argument of "no1 bothered to try something REALLY new"

for a sub-based game to due well they need to decide what the ball itself is made of and also how they can add to the ball while it rolls to avoid the diminishing of it.
    done well it rocks, done badly it sucks in more ways than 5 xd

i hope i did it right but thats the gist of it:D
  • Options
    @wanderingmist

Do I have to?

You took care of it already

@damokles okay...? Why would I desire this?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    $20 a month would be a difficult sell for an unproven studio with an unknown IP imo. When there is successful competition out there albeit less than there was years ago coming in at a higher price point doesn't help them.

I think it is possible to later raise their prices after people have had sufficient time to enjoy their product but they will need to justify that price hike.
    signature.png
  • Options
    I would like a subscription only model that would ensure the integrity and quality of the game and yearly upgrades. Some just new item tier and new abilities, some with additional map content and new World Boss, some with a new feature integrated.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im just happy I have a life time sub ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace