Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

User Interface (UI)

DerToastinatorDerToastinator Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hello,
I recently thought to myself “Man, wouldn’t it be awesome, if I didn’t have to download 30000 addons just do adjust my Hotkey bar or to be able to move my map from left to right?”
So now I am asking you, the AoC community.
Would you plead for a completely flexible interface or would it overwhelm you?
How much and what do you want to be able to change?
I also read a post about DPS meters, so… what optional element would you like to see in the AoC-UI?

Personally, I think, a DPS meter is not immersive, but addons will add it anyways, so why bother swimming against the stream? The idea that comes to my head, would be to hide a DPS meter until you come to later levels. Then you would not have to be the “best” DPS in a low-level dungeon AND you can concentrate on learning other skills.

With friendly regards,
DerToastinator

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    f1f9478fb642dd5273bbf22ecda11187.png
    ff199d52fd7d2f9d40782c237d86abfb.png
    7c23e319a40ccd122f5f758865c0cae8.png
    07b0ca19460cf78297a0103f54e370db.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • @toastinator It has already been said that addons, in general, won't be allowed. But, that UI will have a lot of custimization.

These are the things I'd like to see:
    • Individually scalable UI elements.
    • Draggable UI elements.
    • Options for what does or doesn't show on the minimap.
    • A quest log with a custom max quests limit.
    • Resizable chat window.
    • Custom chat groups, where channels can be cherry-picked.
    • Toggle multiple hotbars on or off.

Also, depending on how good the default one is. Custom UI color schemes might be great!

There might be more than this. But these are the ones I could think off quickly. Also kudos to you for starting a good discussion :wink:
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
    [EU] Hand of Unity | PVX | Semi-Hardcore/Hardcore | Family
    We are still recruiting. Come and have a chat with us at our Discord!
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    lsmOfli.jpg
    priestui.jpg

:D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • @damokles You want some game with that UI? :D
    Signature-Community-Coordinator.gif?ex=6602ea67&is=65f07567&hm=5ccf436d8d607f426cbddd409428e9c1bd5395aba12fe34a1546a571791e2af1&=
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    muridious wrote: »
    @damokles You want some game with that UI? :D

LOL Button!
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @damokles please tell me those weren't your legit UIs.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    @damokles please tell me those weren't your legit UIs.

Nah man. XD
    Just some pics from actual WoW Classic Healer setups from the net.
    I always try to have everything as unobstructive as possible.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DerToastinatorDerToastinator Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @muridious
    Thank you for the praise, i just wanted to know how you guys feel about it.

I also think, customizable buff-icons would be esential for pro gameplay :)
    @toastinator
    What do you mean with customizable buff icons?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I think a damage meter located in a town barracks or specific building that helps you gauge your DPS vs certain mob types at varying levels is sufficient enough. I hope they stick with the idea of no add-ons as this takes the skill out of actually playing the game and knowing mechanics since you just have to watch for the warning messages and react.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    damokles wrote: »
    @toastinator
    What do you mean with customizable buff icons?

I'm guessing he means functions similar to TellMeWhen and WeakAuras in WoW. I doubt we'll get that level of functionality in Ashes and quite frankly I don't think we'll need it. Much like dps meters, in WoW you need those addons because there are so many passive and active procs going off all the time that it's impossible to track using the default UI.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    edited June 2019
    @damokles
    I meant something like weakauras. You can adjust the size of icons and the text (how many stacks, how much time is left). You know... buffs and defuffs. the little icons next to the map in WoW. :blush:

@sarevok
    I dont know how much help is to much for the player. Going to a building to see the DPS would annoy raidleaders and such.
    You have a valid point though, because I, for miself, would also get annoied, if you had to stuff your display with hotkeys, icons and graphs, just to have a chance to be competitive. It would take the immersion away.
    Systems which show you important information without an icon are way smoother in my opinion.
    Systems like sweating when its hot (Zelda BotW) or particle effects on the enemy as they are debuffed.
    That said, i dont think we will be able to play an MMO without some help, imagine you had to watch your charakter closely, just to know, if you are hurt (no HP-bar).
    Can you immagine that?
    So, what i wanted to say is, where should we draw the line between essential UI and hindering obsticle between you and the world, you are trying to experience?

:/
    @wanderingmist
    Oh, yes, thats what i ment :smiley:
    I hope you are right, and we wont need that kind of tracking devices!
    @wanderingmist
    Oh, yes, thats what i ment :smiley:
    I hope you are right, and we wont need that kind of tracking devices!

I will be extremely disappointed with Intrepid if they did. The thing about the default WoW interface is it overloads you with information, most of which is useless to you. If I have a buff that never falls off in combat, why do I need to have a buff icon for it? If one of my abilities always procs a passive effect on my character, I don't need an icon for that either.

The reason why I use addons like WeakAuras is to cut down on that overload and only show me information that I need while playing.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    The reason why I use addons like WeakAuras is to cut down on that overload and only show me information that I need while playing.
    So, in other words, the possibility to change default icons would be good, but it would be nice, not to have to many of them anyways?

I looked at one of your discussions. There you asked, if people want many skills or fewer (Gw2 vs WoW)
    I`d like to say, that 10 are more than enough (heck, LoL only gives you 4 abilitys...+2 and its still fun to play... commuity asside :tongue: )
    As such, i would say, less is more. The more intuitive Intrepid can make the gameplay, the less skills, icons and ect. we need.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Even healing in raids my screen was never that cluttered. I dunno how people play like that.
    Aq0KG2f.png
    @toastinator
    Oh okay, because i thought for one minute that you wanted your own icons in the game. XD
    Yeah it would be nice, if we could change their placement and form, Steven already said that the UI will be highly customizable but we dont even have any idea how the actual UI will look like :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
    edited June 2019
    @karthos This is the UI of Method Sco, the raid leader and main tank of the best WoW raiding guild in the world...
    hhmA5hR.jpg

I honestly don't know how he manages it.

@toastinator I'm not talking about active abilities here, but passive procs that don't affect your gameplay at all. For example, https://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=266937/gutripper

"Your damaging abilities have a chance to deal 2560 Physical damage to the target. Gutripper occurs much more often against targets below 30% health."

This is a completely passive proc that doesn't affect your gameplay at all. You have no control over it, can't make any gameplay decisions based on it, and unless you look at a dps meter you have no idea if it is even working or not. Then of course you have all the other passive buffs you get while in combat, like this: https://www.wowhead.com/spell=113746/mystic-touch

"Your damage weakens the target, increasing Physical damage taken by 5%."

Literally every single time you hit an enemy they get this debuff, and because it's a debuff, you get a debuff icon for it on the UI. I don't need to see an icon for this, because I know it will go onto the target regardless of what else happens. Having an icon for it is completely and utterly pointless!

WoW combat is full of shit like this which is why you need addons like WeakAuras to strip away all the rubbish information and only see the important stuff. It's also why you need dps meters like Recount because otherwise you would never know what parts of your toolkit are doing the damage.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Without a bunch of "Required" raiding mods I don't foresee UIs being as cluttered as they are in WoW now. WoW's default UI was always pretty much garbage, even after several expansions and a handful of quality of life changes to the UI you were still better off using mods that allow you to scale the size of action bars and raid frames, and it took them until Legion to allow players to move the player and target portraits out of the top corner of the screen.
    k2U15J3.png
    Tbh guys, my UI is always extremely minimalistic xD
    I have a slider on the left that shows me my hp, a slider on the right to show my mana/energy, a slider on the top for enemy hp and visual markers for my ability cd's and autoattack timer. I most of the time even blend out the whole raid ui if i dont have to care for debuffs or have to throw stuff at my allies.
    A rogue life is a good life xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
    I get your viewpoint @wanderingmist but we must admit, that these icons are relevant for some people. For example, mystic touch has a duration and you would want to know if, in a fight against multiple enemies, the debuff is still ticking (as another player, the monk will always have the icon)
    On the other hand, you should be able to decide, if you want to see passive buffs, like gutripper.
    If you can’t see them, then you might not know if you have it even equipped or something (Azerite traits)

@arzosah
    Yes… I think, big companies are relying to much on their player base. Just look at these examples:

Activision Blizzard; WoW (of course) just thinks they don’t have to do sh*t because addons exist even DBM wouldn’t be a thing, if the bosses would telegraph their attacks “properly”.
    Bethesda; Elderscrolls and Fallout rely so heavily on the modding community, that their most recent game (with their “super awesome” engine and “16 times the detail”) was unplayable.

Now… I am not saying, that you shouldn’t give the community something to work.
    Minecraft is a gem because it is not only in its gameplay free, but also you get the freedom to convert this game into something bigger. (Not much of a Minecraft player myself, but I can appreciate that)

@damokles
    I main a blue goat huntress (Survival) and I need a few things more… like a big jumping “Serpant sting!” icon, to remind me when the poison is about to wear off :D
    But other than that, I regularly try to think about, how to make my UI more elegant, less clustered and over all just improve here and there. I think it is part of the fun, to experiment with your UI.
    Only then you can find out, what your smoothest playstyle is, I think. ;)
  • More immersion less indicator a d number scrolls.

But I want to be able to place or resize the UI
  • Well in ashes we will not have a ton of abilities so UI should be manageable. But could still have quite of number of keybindings just not on a bar. Think I heard something about being able to move the UI around so think there should be the option to push a button and click through you UI and make it transperant. That way it will not interfere with things like targeting.
    We will see.

I think, we can all agree, we want freedom of choice, when it comes to our UI.
    Lets wait, untill we see it and then further disguss this issue :smile:

Also, if anyone has furter ideas about this topic and wants to share them, be free to do so here :wink:
  • grisugrisu Member
    @wanderingmist your picture highlights how there will never be the singular perfect UI for everyone. I would rip my eyes out before I played like that and there is in my opinion no single reason to have it like that.
    That said I can guess why he put it the way it is based on how it is set up and it's a very individual issue.

I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The fact Steven is a gamer is a good thing as he can appreciate the need for a decent fully customisable UI so his comments so far are very encouraging. I would like to see some options to save different UI set ups so we can switch UI quickly and efficiently depending on what we are doing.
  • We will see.

Also, if anyone has furter ideas about this topic and wants to share them, be free to do so here :wink:

I wouldn't mind hearing what people here think about handholding quests. And maybe an option to turn it off or on. Although I wouldn't really call it UI customization.
    muridious wrote: »
    We will see.

I wouldn't mind hearing what people here think about handholding quests. And maybe an option to turn it off or on. Although I wouldn't really call it UI customization.

How do you define "handholding" quests?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    @muridious Yes, please enlighten us.
    @wanderingmist If i had to guess, he is talking about things like: The map showing the area where to find the mobs you have to kill.
    I that case... please dont let this be an option... i want people to have to go to other players and ask them if they have seen -insert random quest mob- and they would be like... oh yes, let me help you, dear friend (Lets hope our community is a kind one ^^)

Actually... this brings me to another question :worried: .... let me creata a new discussion :wink:
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @muridious Yes, please enlighten us.
    @wanderingmist If i had to guess, he is talking about things like: The map showing the area where to find the mobs you have to kill.
    I that case... please dont let this be an option... i want people to have to go to other players and ask them if they have seen -insert random quest mob- and they would be like... oh yes, let me help you, dear friend (Lets hope our community is a kind one ^^)

Actually... this brings me to another question :worried: .... let me creata a new discussion :wink:

I wouldn't want quest objectives to be so vague that you have to rely on randomly stumbling on a mob or having to ask someone else who happen to stumble upon that mob. I agree that I don't want the quest tracking that most MMOs seem to have these days I don't need my map to be marked with the objective or have the mobs stick out more than normal to indicate that they are a quest objective. So long as the quest objective provides what you're looking for and a description of the sub zone to find them in.
    k2U15J3.png