Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Unique abilities per class type/different types or Raid Boss attacks. Discussion.

georgeblackgeorgeblack Member
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
So we heared that rogues might climb and open gates, clerics may cleanse dungeons. Warriors might leap over etc etc. How about tanks?

Tanks: the class meant to protect the group. Very often there's only one in s group. Have you ever had to play a non tank role because some1 else would?

1 MINUTE KNOCK OUT

What if in AoC a tank during a PvE combat randomly get's knocked out for a minute or so by a strong mobs or bosses attack?
You never know when the attack is coming. All of a sudden the boss goes crazy. Knocks the tank out and the second tank jumps in to save the day.
Random and realistic PvE combat. Unexpected dire straits. Two tanks in a group. Heroic scenarios.
Want more? Tanks can have 2 stances. Tanking and low dps stance. Once the main tank recovers from passing out they can switch to a dps stance and contribute until maybe the other tank is knocked out.
Again this would be random. Not 60% boss mech kicking in.

Comments

• noemadnoemad Member
    That's why a lot of the time with my melee characters I try to go for a hybrid spec. Basically I spec as an off-tank. While I can't dps as well as a pure dps class I can still dish out respectable damage while not being as squishy. And if the main tank does do down then I can jump in and start taunting the hell out of everything in sight to draw agro until the main gets back up and into the game.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @noemad This is all assuming that you can have hybrid roles within each class. Based on the correct information we have, it seems very cut and dry. If you are a tank primary you will always be a tank, no matter what secondary you choose. If you are a cleric primary you will always be a healer. This would also mean that primary clerics will be the only ones who can heal, and primary tanks will be the only tanks.

I hope that's not the case, as I hate being locked into a single role per character.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want a Fighter ability to do crazy damage at the expense of health and stamina.
    Basically, exerting all your strength and energy in to one crazy attack... so if you don't kill it, it leaves you VERY vulnerable.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    In a game with 8 archetypes and 8 slots per group, I would think it would make more sense to try and get the bulk of groups running one of each archetype, rather than adding in an artificial reason for groups to want two tanks.
  • noaani wrote: »
    In a game with 8 archetypes and 8 slots per group, I would think it would make more sense to try and get the bulk of groups running one of each archetype, rather than adding in an artificial reason for groups to want two tanks.

Unless there are mechanics that make classes usefull you will see nuke groups or archer groups or polearm groups(AoE pulls).

Some activities would need more than 8 people.
    Such specific groups are only ever going to be good against a single specific type of content. Games in which they exist are - without exception - poorly designed.

BDO and Archeage are both games that are poorly designed in which such groups have been viable in some cases.

However, games don't need mechanics to make a varied group the most logical, they just need an absence of poor design.

Some activities absolutely will need more than 8 people. This is when you start talking about raids (in an MMO a raid is simply the joining of two or more groups in to a single unit). On raids, there is almost always a need for multiple tanks - however, at that point you hve to ask yourself if knocking a player character out for a minute constitutes fun for that player - Intrepid seem to be keen on keeping control of the player character in the hands of the player.

When talking about content designed for raids, content that requires multiple tanks is a good idea and is present in even mediocre games - however, knocking a player character out is not a good method of doing this, in my opinion.
  • I stand by the concept.
    It's a better version of having to switch agro simply because of a tank debuff.
    It's random and you dont know when it comes.
    It is a better animation and theme.
    It is not about offtanks, but two real tanks.
    It gives meaning to a low dps stance on tank classes when they dont agro because of said mechanism.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @georgeblack
    Tanks can sense invisible enemies: GG for rogues. :D
    I think that they will balance it all pretty evenly, but what i am wondering now is: what are the special skills for summoners and bards?

Tanks: Sense danger
    Ranger: Track (see hidden tracks on the ground)
    Cleric: Cleanse Miasma
    Rogue: Something in common with treasure (could also be parkour tbh)
    Rogue2.jpg
    Mage: Mages Detection (uncover magically hidden objects, create light and reveal hidden magical explosives)
    Fighter: Jump? (they are supposed to have tons of gap closers)
    Bard: ?
    Summoner: ?
    a6XEiIf.gif
    edited July 2019
    I stand by the concept.
    It's a better version of having to switch agro simply because of a tank debuff.
    It's random and you dont know when it comes.
    It is a better animation and theme.
    It is not about offtanks, but two real tanks.
    It gives meaning to a low dps stance on tank classes when they dont agro because of said mechanism.

It isn't a better version of having to switch tanks. It literally takes a player out of the game.

Any game you are playing that gives you the time - in the middle of the action - to go and make a sandwich is doing something wrong.

The reason games use a debuff instead of taking the tank out of the fight is simply because it sucks not being able to play your character for no reason at all.

It simply isn't an enjoyable mechanic.

There are far better ways to have second tanks than to render a character useless for a minute. You could have an encounter that drops it's targets threat level down to zero randomly, meaning raids will need two or even three full tanks to take on the encounter.

You could have an encounter that increases the damage it deals to it's target class slowly over time, and that increase in damage slowly decreases as that class is no longer it's target. This would see a raid require two or even three different classes as tanks for the fight.

You could simply have an encounter that contains two bosses, each requiring their own tanks.

There are plenty of ways you can develop an encounter to require multiple tanks without having to resort to forcing a player to do nothing for a full minute.