Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Main Scenario Quest in mmorpgs

In mmorpgs in which the MSQ is endless eg FFXIV and ESO our character is supposed to be the saviour.
Since however mmorpgs are not single player rpgs, our character becomes this mute accessory to NPC protagonists. Our character gets all the work done, while the NPCs get the cool voice acting and the fight scenes.

I can totally do with 0 scenario in AoC. I dont care to be the supposed savior that also runs around handing out messages to NPCs or collecting herbs for some NPC to make a soup.

When it comes to Lore being reflected in the game I'd prefer to see very few, challenging quests instead of the endless quests lines that we have in most mmorpgs today.

I'd like to do some quests for real functional rewards instead of XP and shitty item rewards for every level.
And without being the mute savior of the world.
Just some adventurer that looks like he/she can get the work done and over time gain some fame, but please....
No more "Oh great hero 'Insert Name'! Attent the Summit, be mute then go kill this ez as fvck evil character and get ready to go collect 4 Rabbit pelts and 4 Dry Wood Sticks"

Comments

• CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited September 2019
    Players in AoC are not going to be these godly things saving the world left right and center. Some players with the social power or combat skill will reach seats of power that can affect the world more than others (mayorship, guild leaders), but otherwise everyone is a small piece on a very large reactive world.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2019
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Players in AoC are not going to be these godly things saving the world left right and center. Some players with the social power or combat skill will reach seats of power that can affect the world more than others (mayorship, guild leaders), but otherwise everyone is a small piece on a very large reactive world.

And I hope the quests are not endless and everywhere trying to make you feel like you are the protagonist
  • Caeryl wrote: »

And I hope the quests are not endless and everywhere trying to make you feel like you are the protagonist

I’d highly doubt they won’t be endless in that there will always be a quest for you to pick up, or a goal to pursue even if it’s not strictly part of a formal questline. We know for certain there won’t be “dailies” or infinitely repeatable quests.

As for being the protagonist, we know there will be large scale, world-ending scenarios that everyone will feel regardless of if they personally want to take up that “quest”. Those who go for combat-focused gameplay will take on those challenges and gain that status in the world as “heroes”. Those who don’t want to take up arms against some giant beast and simply have their character hang back and play support roles, will have plenty of options to do so.

Those who go above and beyond for server firsts and hardcore raiding have options to have that prestige, but it won’t be pushed on anyone to have their characters be “The Hero”.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it was Jeffrey that gave us the quote "You will be a hero, not THE HERO."
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm fine with having a main storyline that you can follow as long as it's not mandatory. One of the reasons why I quit ffxiv is because everything was tied to the story. Want to go to this zone? Sorry you haven't reached that point in the story. Want to use that item? Sorry you haven't reached that point in the story.

What made it even worse were the dungeons that you had to complete in order to progress the story. It was a nightmare for someone like me who played a dps class during off peak times.

Anyway the point is any storyline should be optional especially during the levelling process.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do you really want a given main questline?
    I have made my own personal legendary questline:
    Scour the lands and level jewelcraft, find the rarest ingredients and start experimenting. Kill dragons, quench rare metalls in their blood, carve into their scales runes of power and CREATE A JEWEL THE SIZE OF MY FIST AS A LEGENDARY TRINKET!
    a6XEiIf.gif