Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should each race have a special perk in the top tier cities?

granthorgranthor Member
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Ok, I know the tier 5 city will have the best of everything, and it will be based on types. aka Science, Warrior, Trade etc....

But my thinking is, why not add a little perk by race. Example:

The city is crafting based
If the town is Drawf heavy in pop, then at node 5 you gain the option of Great Forge in town.
If your Human heavy in Pop, you gain a mass trading caravans.
If your Elf heavy in Pop you could gain Life tree to boost all crafting stats.
If Orc heavy you would gain options for special battle armor crafting for the elite level.

Just floating an idea out there, not sure if this was talked about, and I am not saying change what is on the table. This is in addition too what is the plan, and would only come into play if the town tips in Pop based on the race in control. If you have better ideas I would love to hear them, think on the lines of great wonders, and you will see my point I am making better.
A Great Wonder base on race and not a class.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    gaeleathgaeleath Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There already is a perk in existence.
    The city's appearance (building style) is based on the race that's most prevalent in that specific node.

I do like your idea, but making the perks too OP might force people to play a race they don't want in order to unlock the perks.

IMO, they could add more perks but they should be cosmetic in basis.
    o5cyez1bnzal.gif
  • Options
    I am cool with cosmetics, but at the same time, if you can gain a place like Ironforge in WoW, it's a plus in my book. It would be a good look, and I hope you can still use it to craft.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Are you talking about the level 5 City or the level 6 Metropolis? If level 5, then what happens when it gets to level 6 and gets the superpower? Is that enhanced by race as well?
    They have already stated that getting to the Metropolis changes the game. How much change to we need? Maybe once a node has been at a certain level for a long time does the race perks come into play. Kinda like races filtering in and slowly changing the node.
  • Options
    Are you talking about the level 5 City or the level 6 Metropolis? If level 5, then what happens when it gets to level 6 and gets the superpower? Is that enhanced by race as well?
    They have already stated that getting to the Metropolis changes the game. How much change to we need? Maybe once a node has been at a certain level for a long time does the race perks come into play. Kinda like races filtering in and slowly changing the node.

Maybe I should have said the top-level node, but its a city wonder based on the race pop I was aiming at. Like how you will get the way the city will look with whatever race is the main one living there.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2019
    The main issue with this is that because a metropolis would be the work of no less than 1,000 characters (possibly as many as 2,000), there is no real way to try and get the feature you want.

The whole thing would essentially be luck of the draw.

Edit; not that it's a bad idea, just that there is no realistic way of being able to influence the outcome.
  • Options
    Can you imagine the controlling guild/government actively denying citizenship or chasing players away that aren't the race of the perceived "best racial" for their city type.

"Oh you aren't a Vek, well the Vek racial is actually best for this religious node, so you have to re-roll or go somewhere else."

That is one of the reasons I don't see it working adding a racial bonus to the different civilization levels.
  • Options
    Can you imagine the controlling guild/government actively denying citizenship or chasing players away that aren't the race of the perceived "best racial" for their city type.

"Oh you aren't a Vek, well the Vek racial is actually best for this religious node, so you have to re-roll or go somewhere else."

That is one of the reasons I don't see it working adding a racial bonus to the different civilization levels.

yES, BUT IT WOULD ADD A DIFFERENT ELEMENT TO THE GAMEPLAY. Sorry caps. But anyway, this would be based on the citizens of the town, so you could control the wonder in my example, and it wouldn't be a random thing.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    The main issue with this is that because a metropolis would be the work of no less than 1,000 characters (possibly as many as 2,000), there is no real way to try and get the feature you want.

Edit; not that it's a bad idea, just that there is no realistic way of being able to influence the outcome.

Not really luck, more like the Mayor and who you let in to be citizens.
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Im commenting to bump this over those one sentence posts lol
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be nice if people had racial reputation, which let them buy blueprints/recepies for such buildings and craftable items.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2019
    granthor wrote: »
    noaani wrote: »

Not really luck, more like the Mayor and who you let in to be citizens.

Not really.

A node is leveled based on the experience gained within its ZoI. A mayor has literally no say in who can or can not gain experience in their nodes ZoI.

They can refuse citizenship to people based on race, possibly (we don't actually know this for sure afaik), but not being a citizen won't stop you from killing mobs or harvesting ingredients within that nodes ZoI, nor will it necessarily stop you doing quests or crafting in that ZoI.

Additionally, since we are talking about meteopolis level nodes, it is not just the experience gained in your node that counts. If a vassal node is at the highest level it can be (one level below the node it is a vassal of), then all experience earned in that node gets shifted up to the next node - or the node after that if need be.

This means that when a level 5 node is working on moving up to level 6, or metropolis, there are likely to be three level 4 nodes, and maybe 6 - 8 level 3 nodes all contributing experience to the main node. This is why it is likely that a metropolis will have 1 - 2k players leveling it up.

Trying to micro manage race on that scale just won't work.
  • Options
    I wonder how it's going to work for the race influence from vassal nodes.
    Will it be base of the races that generate the excess that goes to the parents nodes or will the excess have the same % as the total xp earned in the node ,it make a difference but I guess we never know...
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ok, I know the tier 5 city will have the best of everything, and it will be based on types. aka Science, Warrior, Trade etc....

If the town is Drawf heavy in pop, then at node 5 you gain the option of Great Forge in town.
    If Orc heavy you would gain options for special battle armor crafting for the elite level.

Just floating an idea out there, not sure if this was talked about, and I am not saying change what is on the table. This is in addition too what is the plan, and would only come into play if the town tips in Pop based on the race in control. If you have better ideas I would love to hear them, think on the lines of great wonders, and you will see my point I am making better.

What do you guys think?

I have a simple question: WHY.

Why do you need racial perks in the game?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

What do you guys think?

More of a cosmetic thing, you know a look only. More of a role-playing element.
  • Options
    I think the cosmetic element added to the node depending on which race contributed more to the level is enough, having say that, it would be awesome to go OVER THE TOP with those cosmetics, a dwarven mega forge with melted metal cascades flowing in the center of the city would be a great thing to see!!!!!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven has said that he wants racial differences to be meaningful, so, it seems likely that race will open up options for specific racial buildings to be constructed in Cities and/or Metros - Dünir Metros might construct a Great Forge while Vek Metros construct an Observatory.
    We will have to see whether the same options might be available for Niküa and Ren'Kai and, if so, how they might differ than those of other races.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2019

What do you guys think?

More of a cosmetic thing, you know a look only. More of a role-playing element.

Except the OP is suggesting more than just cosmetic benefits for each race.

Whenever you add more gameplay elements to the game you always need to ask yourself what impact it will have on the game. Will the added elements improve the experience or detract from it?

I don't know the answer to this question but it needs to be considered.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    You know guys, personally I could see stuff like those races building as secrets unlock while you rise a specific node to metropolis.

Like the node where there was once the capital of one of the races. And once you reach the metropolis stage you find some ancient blueprints of a huge project and the major as to choose to order the construction that generate a world event.

After this event as occurred all metropolis of this races have access to the blueprints and can order the construction.

It would generate a lot of conflict ;)

And let say if you succeed the construction you got a buff for the metropolis or something else.

5 metropolis 9 races ... I'll let you imagine the chaos generate this way x)