Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Don't screw up with the farming content that is normally boring in other mmo's

Usually farming it's kind of boring in the typical mmo, so prevent this adding minigame to the Gathering/Farming, this will create a more fun exprencie with the gathering and not something that you just need to press a stone or a plant in the ground and do nothing. Minigames will provide more ways to gather like, if your PJ has a great lvl in chop trees then the minigame is more easy for him, but if the tree is from a good quality the minigame it's more difficult, this prevent that begginers player can gather high quality resources. Also i think a way that if you play the minigame and you loose on it, you lose durability in your tools making more risk gather high quality resources, unless you have a lot of experience with the minigame and your level of gathering help with the difficulty of the minigame. This apply also for Crafting, Cooking and etc.

Basically don't screw up like the other mmo.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There are three problems I see with something like this straight away with this.

The first is that people will harvest tens of thousands of times in the game. Any mini-game gets very tedious after playing it that many times.

The second is that harvesting materials are often placed in areas close to (or even mix in with) PvE encounters. If you are not focusing on the world around you, but rather on a mini-game, mobs could very easily, this could easily go badly.

The third, closely related to the second, is PvP. If players know that harvesting takes the players focus out of the world and in to a mini-game, then that is the time they will jump you. It will put every harvester at a massive disadvantage in terms of PvP, as anyone wanting to attack them will always be able to get the jump.

Since players drop a portion of resources they have on them when killed in PvP combat, putting players out actively gathering materials, advertising to everyone that they are a good target to make financial gain from, and then taking that player out of the world, that seems like a bad mix to me.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What i could imagine for farming mechanics:
    - creatures will periodically spawn, and their level depends on the rarity of the crops. The farmer will have to defeat them in a timely manner to prevent decay in their farmingplot progression. If the farmer is not there, then he will get a notification about it. Farmers will be able to build or buy scarecrows that decrease the chance of adds spawning.
    - weeds will spawn periodically in the field and the players will have to remove them. While weeds are in the field progression is stopped or slowed.
    - players have to regularly water their plants
    - farmers can produce fertilizer to enhance the growth speed of plants and to eventually increase their rating
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with @noaani here. A minigame for gathering is only really needed if the player only has to focus on the act of gathering itself. In a PvX environment like Ashes this shouldn't be necessary because the player will be at risk of getting attacked while gathering.

If you wanted a gathering or crafting minigame the place to put it would be in the freeholds rather than the open world.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • TamaelTamael Member
    edited April 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    - creatures will periodically spawn, and their level depends on the rarity of the crops. The farmer will have to defeat them in a timely manner to prevent decay in their farmingplot progression. If the farmer is not there, then he will get a notification about it. Farmers will be able to build or buy scarecrows that decrease the chance of adds spawning.
    - weeds will spawn periodically in the field and the players will have to remove them. While weeds are in the field progression is stopped or slowed.
    - farmers can produce fertilizer to enhance the growth speed of plants and to eventually increase their rating

That is a brilliant idea ! I would ad some hybridization/crossbreeding ( dunno how to say it with plants being the cross :D ) Making hybrid plants/herbs. Of course this is not an idea that would suffice for a longer period of time. The information about what to cross with what would be out there, so the crossing by it self would not be a trial and error by that time.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    so a question.

fork or trowel
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »
    so a question.

fork or trowel

Spork
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    so a question.

fork or trowel

Spork

It's not a spork it's a foon.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    edited April 2020
    Tamael wrote: »

That is a brilliant idea ! I would ad some hybridization/crossbreeding ( dunno how to say it with plants being the cross :D ) Making hybrid plants/herbs. Of course this is not an idea that would suffice for a longer period of time. The information about what to cross with what would be out there, so the crossing by it self would not be a trial and error by that time.

If farming gets crossbreeding, then i want to be able to combine different metals and create alloys.
    Paladium + Mithril = Unobtanium!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Most people actually do not want a mini game associated with their gathering. We've had this discussion before with lots of people in the community.

FFXIV tried this in their original version of gathering (and you can sill find the original versions of the mini game in the Gold Saucer). It was such a pain in the ass that nobody wanted to gather. The new version is annoying, but it requires a time investment to gather.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Most people actually do not want a mini game associated with their gathering. We've had this discussion before with lots of people in the community.

FFXIV tried this in their original version of gathering (and you can sill find the original versions of the mini game in the Gold Saucer). It was such a pain in the ass that nobody wanted to gather. The new version is annoying, but it requires a time investment to gather.

Now comes the question though... is farming gathering or production? :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some things that need to be remembered for how they have said resources will work on release and as of last information given are still planned.
    Resources will be randomized as to placement in the nodes.
    Quality and type will change.
    There will be occasional clusters that form a "mine" that can be harvested for greater yields, but that will eventually disappear too and relocate. Not in the same node, but anywhere on the server.

<speculation> For the planting/farming content that will most likely take place on your freehold. Saw someone posting earlier about how those that may be 3 steps into a mini-game for crafting, breeding, planting and maintaining crops would be at a huge disadvantage when jumped by someone in pvp. Since freeholds are going to be pvp free zones except in very limited situations (siege loss) that doesn't become an issue. I agree that having mini-games for open world gathering would be bad, but they are sure to have workarounds for them. Just like people that like to spam duel requests to flood the other persons screen with boxes they have to click to close to try and gain a few second advantage when ganking, there will be a toggle of some sort. <speculation ends>
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg