Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

AoC and Unreal engine 5

amulder17amulder17 Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
With the announcement and preview of unreal engine 5 I was curious if it would have any impact on the development of the game. I think it would be beneficial to release a game on the newest platform available at the time; however, I am not sure of the difficulty with exporting to a new engine. What is the communities/developers opinion on it?

Comments

• GumdropsGumdrops Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    It wouldnt be possible without more delays, so definitly a nogo.
    Reminder to stay on topic
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not a programmer so I have no place to say anything but most new things have there teething problems so I doubt it.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Intrepid have said they will be potentially looking into it, but I doubt it will happen. For one we have no idea when UE5 will become publicly available, and we have no idea what state it will be in when it launches. On top of that we don't know how easy it will be to transfer from UE4 to UE5. Sure they will likely use the same language (C++) but there is much more to it than just that.

I think it's much more likely that Ashes will release in UE4 and then upgrade to UE5 later down the line once the game and the new engine are stable.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • skearnzskearnz Member
    I think it's much more likely that Ashes will release in UE4 and then upgrade to UE5 later down the line once the game and the new engine are stable.

this would be most logical

making sure the game is out, and making it better down the line is preff for all parties if one takes a wide enough view^^
  • Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2020
    I believe this question was answered in one of their live streams. If I remember correctly they are proceeding with UE4 but will keep their ear to the ground on the changes in UE5 and how they might utilize them in the future.
  • amulder17amulder17 Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    skearnz wrote: »

this would be most logical

making sure the game is out, and making it better down the line is preff for all parties if one takes a wide enough view^^

That does sound like one of the most logical paths allowing the early day bugs to get worked out yet still changing to the most up to date engine. If they do switch to UE5 later it would greatly help the longevity of the game.
  • CaelronCaelron Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd like to know more thoughts about this from the development team as well.
    Specifically, how the Unreal Engine 5 Demo talked about directly porting ZBrush 3D images in to UE5 and the pixilation conversions. Do you (the developers, coders, artists, etc.) think this would impact what tools game developers use? I know ZBrush is considered a standard for 3D models, but I know nothing outside of that.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    UE5 was just announced. There’s no ETA on release and when it does get released, there won’t be a lot of people who can run it. It seems to be targeted toward the next generation of PCs; whatever any of us have at home right now will probably not run it. It’s future tech, it has no impact on AoC development unless they expect not to release the game for another 5 years.

Hhak63P.png
  • grisugrisu Member
    It is set to release for next year and the tech demo was run on a ps5 system. They also mentioned that there are easy upgrade paths inside UE5 to apparently upgrade from UE4.

That is obviously only what they told us and who knows how it really is and to be perfectly honest, aside from the cloth dynamic that seems to prevent clipping, nothing of it really spells "that would be totally awesome for Ashes" to me. Fun features you could do new things with and apparently a new dimension of optimization is doable but nothing I would view as essential for any game that come us now.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    To me, the real question is in terms of how much customization Intrepid have done with the engine more than anything else.

I personally think (without any real information or context) that the smart thing to do is to get Ashes released, and when it is up and running look in to the possibility of making use of UE5.