Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Farm with a price!

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
The current farming system, from my understanding, allows players to create personal farms and then maintain their crops and no other player can harvest or interfere with their crop. A safe and determinate result.

Just a though, what if there were some additional random places in the wilderness, that only trial and error can determine, that were more fertile at the expense of being accessible to anyone from the community.. a risk vs reward..

Bring a player element further into the dynamics of the eco-system:

grow at home - safe system, grows medium speed, nobody can take but you.
grow close to town in free area - grows slowly, nil advantage, anyone can take
grow far from town - grows better but less convenient, anyone can take
grow very far from town - grows very fast/productively, highly inconvenient to find location and equally hard to access quickly to harvest, anyone can take

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have already said that there will be terrain modifiers that affect crops and production on freeholds. Depending on where you place it you may get bonuses. Can't remember if there were penalties. They have not mentioned anything about random wilderness plots so far.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm just going to say 2 words here: Complexity Overload
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    akabear wrote: »
    The current farming system, from my understanding, allows players to create personal farms and then maintain their crops and no other player can harvest or interfere with their crop. A safe and determinate result.

Just a though, what if there were some additional random places in the wilderness, that only trial and error can determine, that were more fertile at the expense of being accessible to anyone from the community.. a risk vs reward..

Bring a player element further into the dynamics of the eco-system:

grow at home - safe system, grows medium speed, nobody can take but you.
    grow close to town in free area - grows slowly, nil advantage, anyone can take
    grow far from town - grows better but less convenient, anyone can take
    grow very far from town - grows very fast/productively, highly inconvenient to find location and equally hard to access quickly to harvest, anyone can take

While these would be interesting ideas for a video game; for this video game the time has come and gone for something like that to be decidd.

The freehold system is already a deeply ingrained part of the housing system, which is tied to the citizenship system, which of course is tied to the Node system. Its too late to even start thinking about major core design changes such as this.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    In the last livestream they said you can't steal from other people's freeholds. That probably includes their farms and animals.

You will get a growing boost from farming near water. If it's only fresh water and not sea water I don't know.

We also don't know if soil will affect crops. Lava might give a boost, like in Hawai'i and the area around rivers contains silt, which plants like, so that might be a boost too, but they haven't said anything about soil conditions affecting anything.

We also don't know if anything will affect crops in a negative way, like farming near toxic water.

Different plants will grow in different areas. There will be swamp plants, desert plants, cold hardy plants, etc... Will these plants be farmable? My guess is yes.
    fNX2ISa.png

• VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I doubt that they would add what amounts to freeholds lite, but i could see the original farming nodes for the wild variants of planted things to act somewhat like you're suggesting.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ventharien wrote: »
    I doubt that they would add what amounts to freeholds lite, but i could see the original farming nodes for the wild variants of planted things to act somewhat like you're suggesting.

I can see them allowing seeds and such to be planted outside of freeholds - similar to how you could in Archeage.

I don't see them implementing any kind of effect or bonus for that though.

I'm not sure if I think it is a good idea, but I could see them doing it.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    I'm hoping they don't go the Archeage route with the random public plants, but that there will be for example wild wheat, that you could harvest for the seeds to bring to your farm for production.
  • How about no matter where you grow your crops, you run the risk of small smalls eating away some of your items. Maybe in town, you only have to worry about small birds and small animals like squirrels and mice. But take your farms into the unprotected areas, and you will have larger animals eating your crops. heck, maybe a Troll or an Orge might pay your farm a visit away from the protection of towns.

Not saying you can't stop them from getting at your crops, just you run the risk of losing some of it if you don't protect it.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    granthor wrote: »
    How about no matter where you grow your crops, you run the risk of small smalls eating away some of your items. Maybe in town, you only have to worry about small birds and small animals like squirrels and mice. But take your farms into the unprotected areas, and you will have larger animals eating your crops. heck, maybe a Troll or an Orge might pay your farm a visit away from the protection of towns.

Not saying you can't stop them from getting at your crops, just you run the risk of losing some of it if you don't protect it.

If you could watch them eat it, I would gladly farm things for the sake of watching them and taking photos. he....hehe....hehehe...
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    The suggestion was not so focused on the interpretation of the proposed solution but for the objectives it might provide.

I interpreted the current style a little like the BDO model as instanced farming with scaled results based on your choice of location. But a largely a solo activity and safe.

The objective to not change the system but extend it but with the objective of creating :
    • Some non-safe farming
    • Areas of scaling risk and reward
    • Reasons to explore previously explored areas
    • Potential for conflict leading to pvp ( defend / take)

My past experience with MMORPG`s is that there are often wonderful areas that get designed, explored then moved away after a short time to go to the next new area and little reason to return. I know AoC has implemented systems to avoid this in part already.

My view is that the more means that the players have to make an impact on/ in the environment the more dynamic and unpredictable it may become and hopefully lessening the need for newer areas when the existing are under perpetual change.