Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is the engine gonna be ported to UE5 when it launches next year?

Quick question, especially because it allows to cut dev working time with LOD's

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    They are going to release the game first, and then look in to whether it is viable.
  • Options
    GumdropsGumdrops Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    1. It will not be released next year
    2. It has not been evaluated yet if a port is possible and give enough benefits (porting to new engine also costs time)
    Reminder to stay on topic
  • Options
    Gumdrops wrote: »
    1. It will not be released next year
    2. It has not been evaluated yet if a port is possible and give enough benefits (porting to new engine also costs time)

'1. The engine will be released next year. Not the game.

2. AoC engine is Unreal Engine 4, same company. Same engine. New iteration.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    vhbenin wrote: »
    2. AoC engine is Unreal Engine 4, same company. Same engine. New iteration.

Still the same point.

Stevens comment when asked was that they will release the game first on UE4, and then look ato UE5 to see if it is worth moving to post launch.

While it is a new iteration of the same engine, attempting to move over to it now will delay the launch of the game.
  • Options
    RaseRase Member
    UE4 is fine for me.
  • Options
    UE4 sounds fine if it lets us play sooner, but ideally I'd like to hear that it is 'possible' to port it over to 5 if they decide to in the future. Maybe a few years from now the difference will be more noticeable and more worth the effort.
  • Options
    StackocakesStackocakes Member
    edited July 2020
    UE5 plugins needs to mature before you try to convert an active project over to it. Too many unknowns currently since from what I understand many of the UE4 tools won't simply convert over.

There was another developer that stated it could be 3+ years before many of the companies start working from UE5 because of in-house plug-ins needing to be rewritten for UE5.
  • Options
    lGSMllGSMl Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    also I guess a lot will depend on UE5 advantages de-facto in comparison to UE4. If it will be just some physics, graphic and new features - no much sense in going there, good luck with average player PC to run UE4 game with decent fps on medium settings. If it will boost multiplayer performance from other side - like "UE5 will bost FPS in 500 players on screen by 40%", or "UE5 reduce latency by 20% with some super new protocol" - I guess the AoC team will seriously consider the switch in early stages.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Probably won't happen early. They will want to see how stable the new version is. They wouldn't want to put in the number of months of work just to find something breaks. Remember they had to completely rebuild the networking component with their own. That project will probably be for years down the road.

They don't want to break the game just before or just after they launch.