Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Node's Evolution - Building's Style

Hello everyone, new guy here, discovered the game since just a couple of weeks and consuming every possible media I could find about it :)

I'm really interested in this project as it seems the perfect place to regroup with my long time guildmates that have since nearly stopped playing as the mmorpg scene is become more and more shallow.

Alright introduction done, now apologies if this isn't the right section for suggestions but I couldn't see any dedicated subforum for it :|

One thing I really liked about the nodes upgrade system is the fact that they will get the style of the civilisation that most contributed to its upgrade to the latest stage.

However, coming from Italy, I thought that one of the things that makes a city really interesting to visit and explore is the fact that, big cities especially, have several layers of influences developed over the years.

For example, a city could have the current architecture coming from a Mediterranean modern style, but the old city centre still showing some very classic building from the time in which the northern countries invaded and colonised it. And going really back, maybe there is still a church, from the roman era.

So I thought: Wouldn't it be nice if the different stage of a node maintain some of the key building in the style of the civilisation that built it?

I don't have much info as I'm not in the alpha but as far as videos goes, seems like when a node update, there are some "basic" building that are being generated and others that are being built by the players (mayor). I simply thought that those "player-built" building could have a persistent style as it would be nice coming back to a node and recognise a building you helped build, in the middle of a now sprawling city, when back in those days, it was just a frontier's small town.

Is it already working like that? What are you thought?

Comments

• Hello and welcome!

So far it's just the most prominent race that gives the node it's overall style.

While it could be cool to see an "Old Town" district, there is not currently any info that would suggest they would go for this as far as i've seen.
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    giphy.gif

While I would prefer your kind of advancement, I think that they will just replace the textures and decorations with new ones that are race specific.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • criuscrius Member
    edited August 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    giphy.gif

:D
    Naxxaz wrote: »
    Hello and welcome!

So far it's just the most prominent race that gives the node it's overall style.

While it could be cool to see an "Old Town" district, there is not currently any info that would suggest they would go for this as far as i've seen.

I imagined it as something like that. But I guess it's the right moment to throw in ideas like this as it becomes harder to even consider further into development.

I'm a senior software engineer (not gaming) and of course I don't know how they designed their engine for the game but this feature would be most likely something simple like adding an additional attribute to the building that specify which style to be used when rendering it :)
  • crius wrote: »
    ... of course I don't know how they designed their engine for the game but this feature would be most likely something simple like adding an additional attribute to the building that specify which style to be used when rendering it :)

In the most recent dev update they talked about their buildings being constructed in a modular fashion, so it seems each city might be pre-made by hand.

Heres the section if you are interested:
    https://youtu.be/vI8DDBX7hD0?t=3874
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They did mention in one of the streams/chats/discord/etc. in the last few months that it would bea lot of work to mark certain buildings to stay a certain race. And that they want each node to have a racial look and not be a mix and match kind of visual.
    It would look a bit jarring to have the whole node have a nice flowing Empyrean with a few Dunir or Vek houses.

When in doubt, check the wiki:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Architecture