Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Can I make my character left-handed.

Majority of games have characters automatically using their left hand for shields or they hold their staff in their right hand. Personally this has always felt a little off to me being a left handed person myself. Was wondering if there hand been any discussion on if we can decide which is the predominant hand of our character?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This is something I can see being fairly tricky to implement (would almost double the number of combat animations needed).

That said, I personally think it would be worth it if Intrepid felt they had the time and resources to do it.
  • Options
    I am left handed. I would use this every single time if ever was given the chance.

If reasonable task. Please try for possible later update?

Can you hard flip the model of a asset like that? I don't know d@!? doe lol.

I highly doubt it would ever be a thing and that is 100% ok. Next <3
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds like a interesting idea
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    This is actually a cool idea.

But like @noaani said, it would likely double the amount of animations needed to fit every single race and size with addresing any variables in specific weapons or casts or other functions.

Its probably not a feasible option even though it sounds simple, the reality is it would take that much longer to design the game to accomodate left hand wielding functions in the animations.

Maybe it could be something as a quality of life addition in a future patch if the game launches successfully. But they have to stick to their already LARGE plate of design and coding animations if they want to meet their intended goal.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    This is something I can see being fairly tricky to implement (would almost double the number of combat animations needed).

That said, I personally think it would be worth it if Intrepid felt they had the time and resources to do it.

Depends if the animation itself can be flipped while the model skeleton being the same. No idea if that's the case or not though. It definitely would cost at least some overhead
  • Options
    I too am lefthanded and wanted this as a feature in-game but I also understand that being lefthanded account for a small percentage of the populations so I sadly do not expect to see this acted upon.
  • Options
    I would love to see a left handed option. It would be a little thing that would make the game more satisfying for me. That being said, it will not diminish my enjoyment to be forced to play right handed.
  • Options
    ZingZi wrote: »
    I too am lefthanded and wanted this as a feature in-game but I also understand that being lefthanded account for a small percentage of the populations so I sadly do not expect to see this acted upon.

Lefties unite! Can we talk about spiral notebooks?
  • Options
    AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »

Yeah I'm left handed and always like it when I CAN be left handed, but you're right it actually is a bit annoying to implement.
  • Options
    AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ZingZi wrote: »

Lefties unite! Can we talk about spiral notebooks?

Thanks... my wrist hurts now.

In all seriousness though, I always bought those left handed notebooks, and if I couldn't, I flipped my right handed notebook over and wrote from the "last" page forwards.
  • Options
    I'm ambidextrous so a choice between them would be nice. I'm left handed for some things and right for others so.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you’re a lefty just dual wield and you won’t feel left out.

*rim shot*

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »

*rim shot*

*clap, clap*
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    It's not as simple as swords and shield swapped. And not as simple as animation either. Even though it basically it doubles the amount of animations needed.

It will increase the required art assets, as all your gear must be inverted. Since you can no longer grab a potion with the same hand, the potion must come from a mirrored opposite location on the character. This means the art assets will have to all be adjusted (at the very least). There may need to be twice the art assets.

Not impossible but the workload increase may be unjustified.
    Future patch? Doubtful. They need content in future patches, not cosmetics. (No, cosmetics is not content in this context.)

I'm ambivalent and doubtful, but I hope you get what you want!
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am left handed, never had a problem with my character being right handed, but if I had the choice to be left or right handed, I would pick left handed.
  • Options
    97349734 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One way I could see this being implemented fairly easily is to simply flip the character model in character creation and thus all the animations/cosmetics pertaining to it. Text might be backwards, various other visual artifacts might pop up all over the place, and there would be a sizable chunk added to the game's total disk space requirements, but it's a lazy fix to a complex problem. Left become right, right becomes left.
    An Esoteric Lynx!
    Discord: https://discord.gg/Axiom
    8zze0395w28i.png
  • Options
    TroublesTroubles Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think they should be able to mirror the animations to make it work. It is not a bad idea for them to do this.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

*rim shot*

Actually while I am left handed I've always swang a golf club or baseball bat right handed, so I usually go for two-handed weapons.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I think they should be able to mirror the animations to make it work. It is not a bad idea for them to do this.

Well, many times animations are hand-crafted. It is never as simple as flipping them. But perhaps on their engine it can be done. I don't know.

But one thing is for sure: it will certainly add to the work load.
    Don't get me wrong: it's not an indecent request! I am simply trying to give some perspective. It's no simple matter (as far as I understand it).
    "Don't be hasty."
  • Options
    CJWCJW Member
    Should just be a mirror check box, you can do this in most programs by inverting scale along the X axis. I can’t see how this could be tons of work like everyone is saying?
  • Options
    It might be better to mirror the equipment in the game and editing the hands a little. Though mirroring the models will make them look more unique in a crowd.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    CJW wrote: »
    Should just be a mirror check box, you can do this in most programs by inverting scale along the X axis. I can’t see how this could be tons of work like everyone is saying?

It depends on the animations. It's not as simple in an engine as a check box for hand-crafted animation. Sure! For out-of-the-box engines things, it *might* be possible. But you can never just check a box and load it up, it has to be tested, this takes away from time that might be better spent developing other things.

Additionally:
    It will increase the required art assets, as all your gear must be inverted. For example: you can not grab a potion with the left hand off your right belt pouch if that is now your scabbard (because you have swapped handedness). It goes without saying, the potion must come from a proper location on the character. This means the art assets will have to all be adjusted (at the very least). There may need to be twice the art assets. That means every single piece of relevant gear (chest pieces, pants, backpacks and backs-slung items) must be re-textured (possibly), and reskinned (certainly). This doubles the work load of the art department, who are now no doubt already working on new assets.

If they can't do both these tasks concurrently - which is likely in a small development studio: Do they stop developing new assets and work on this or do they develop more playable game content, and less cosmetics?

It's not easy for the decision-makers (the leads and the dept. heads) at this point. So, yes, it seems simple on the surface, but even this is a complex matter.
    "Don't be hasty."