Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Siege immunity abuse?

EmoNaggerEmoNagger Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Years ago when I was playing a browser game call Utopia where kingdom vs kingdom throw their resources at each other to gain more land/honor. One of the strategy people will do is FAKE war, because if 2 kingdom are at war with either other they can not be declared to war by other 3rd kingdom, so they will use this period of time to build up, chill and do anything BUT fight each other, since fake war is an agreement between players and is under the table of game design.

Back to AoC topic.... I was reading https://ashes101.com/pvp#castles and read the following "If a Node survives a siege, it gains an immunity to further sieges for a period of ten times the declaration time." What is to stop 2 neighbor nodes to fake war each other to give themselves immune to war for X days from other sieges?

edit: add stuff.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thanks for the idea ;)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AeriAeri Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    You would have to guarantee that both sides in this situation could fill up every available siege slot, so that no fighting would occur. I'm pretty sure just about anyone can sign up for the siege fights (barring a few circumstances relating to factions/citizenship and such), it's not just between, say, a single defending guild and a single attacking guild.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2020
    EmoNagger wrote: »
    Years ago when I was playing a browser game call Utopia where kingdom vs kingdom throw their resources at each other to gain more land/honor. One of the strategy people will do is FAKE war, because if 2 kingdom are at war with either other they can not be declared to war by other 3rd kingdom, so they will use this period of time to build up, chill and do anything BUT fight each other, since fake war is an agreement between players and is under the table of game design.

Back to AoC topic.... I was reading https://ashes101.com/pvp#castles and read the following "If a Node survives a siege, it gains an immunity to further sieges for a period of ten times the declaration time." What is to stop 2 neighbor nodes to fake war each other to give themselves immune to war for X days from other sieges?

edit: add stuff.

@EmoNagger

This doesn't work in Ashes of Creation for the sole reason, that anybody can join the rank of attackers.

Your friend Node B can declare a War on you, but the entire server can join the attacker side, not just Node B. The only thing Node B accomplished is, that the people that actually want to Siege Node A wouldn't have to farm the resources to prepare the siege scroll, so they actually helped the potential attacker.

TL/Dr No fake declarations.
  • Options
    Alright that is good to hear if it is impossible to do shady stuff like fake war.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It is very expensive to declare a war, which is probably preventing nodes from declaring war. If you pay that cost to open up the node to attack, most likely many people will come for the chance to loot the players stored crafting materials of the entire node if it is beaten.
  • Options
    ShaladoorShaladoor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd just like to add that sieges are announced days in advance (so people have plenty of time to plan on being there) and that sieges happen during peak play times on the server (to help guarantee as many people as possible can be there while limiting the ability for players to sneak attack in the wee hours of the night/morning).

So to go through the trouble of working up the resources and doing the quests/prerequisites of a siege... when a siege isn't really wanted... just to gain the benefit of not getting sieged for a period of time... is counter-productive in my opinion.

I think it's far better to save your time, effort, and resources to build your nodes defenses. Work with your node neighbors to help each other out if one of them is sieged. Don't go through the leg work of kicking off a siege, force other people to do that first. Because I guarantee you, once a siege is announced and is kicked off, everyone who can is going to come join in on the fun.

I know I will :smile:
  • Options
    That’s strategy (;
  • Options
    MMOHunterMMOHunter Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    But the siege only allow 250player on one side, and a guild can have up to 300player. So they basically just fill all slots with their own people. How can AOC prevent the fake war? According to the wiki , the player who declare the siege cannot remove other player who join the siege, so impossible to remove fake player , but also if possible to remove player, they just basically remove who not on the fake war agreement side.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2020
    MissMung wrote: »
    But the siege only allow 250player on one side, and a guild can have up to 300player. So they basically just fill with their own people. How can AOC prevent the fake war? According to the wiki , the player who declare the siege cannot remove other player after joining the siege, so impossible to remove fake player and if possible to remove player, they just basically remove who not on the fake war agreement side.

That's castle sieges. No player cap has ever been confirmed for node sieges, ever.

nodes =/= castles

node sieges =/= castle sieges

2 completely different things
  • Options
    First of all, sieges have a cooldowns, based on stage. So you can't back to back siege. But who says you can't chain siege a node, waiting for cooldown in-between.

Questing and resources are going to be the real hurdle for sieges. If it takes your guild a month to coordinate all the resources to siege and another week to get the "attack" certificate, I doubt I will be seeing your guild sieging but once a month. These are made up numbers, we don't know. But, what we do know... It's not just a click of a button.

One abuse I do see is; dummy siege's. One guild setting up a siege, then loose siege, so their friend node can't be attacked, because of cool down between siege rule. Well, if it takes my whole guild 30+ days to get a siege certificate and wood, chances are it ain't happening. I'd rather spend that time sieging a node, not faking one.
  • Options
    What's to stop a group of people from filling a bunch of siege slots just to sabotage the attacking side?
    All you need is a large enough number of people to join and do nothing and the siege will be massively gimped.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Your citizenship of a node on a server is for all of your characters on that server. You can't use alts to fill the siege slots. You cannot siege your own node. You could use a 2nd account to fill a siege slot; however, I doubt there will be large groups doing that. You could possibly hire a guild to fill siege slots. I don't know of a way to stop that.
  • Options
    First nodes don't siege each others , a player declare a siege vs a node and any passing by player can join to attack, all citizen are automatically regenerated as defenders.

Nodes declare WARS on each others , wars don't destroy nodes , it's a objective base event.

If they make it work as guild wars , there may not be limits on how much wars can be declare on one node, there would be only a rise in the cost to declare war on a node that's already in war.

There hasn't be monsion of any immunity period on regarde of WARS.

So there will not be gaming of this mechanic this way. ;)
  • Options
    apmax wrote: »
    What's to stop a group of people from filling a bunch of siege slots just to sabotage the attacking side?
    All you need is a large enough number of people to join and do nothing and the siege will be massively gimped.

again, we do not know of any player cap in the node sieges as of now.

Let's cross that bridge when we have more information.
  • Options
    Why would you open yourself to be sieged? Everyone and their pet will be by to jump on the attackers' side to help out. Boom, you are destroyed.
    All the work to build it up, gone. All the work to start the siege, gone.
    And everyone else (and their pet) thanks you for your effort at destroying yourself.